Well, I know we are all waiting for 2.1 which will be here soon (definitions vary) but since .668 was withdrawn, one would have expected its replacement in somewhat short order but alas, some of us are still waiting. So? Where is it a week later?
    newbiee likes this.
    08-10-12 08:15 PM
    Oh, c'mon F2, you're better than that.
    08-10-12 08:17 PM
    Oh, c'mon F2, you're better than that.
    I have my weak moments. The 2.1 threads just, well, just ...............
    08-10-12 09:21 PM
    I have my weak moments. The 2.1 threads just, well, just ...............
    Go for it F2 ..... you know you want to ..... beta 2.1 for you.
    08-10-12 09:38 PM
    I decided not to roll back on DM because I figured RIM would act like an accountable company and acknowledge their error and release a patch to fix it, or at least roll back. Here it is, a week and RIM doesn't even acknowledge the HUGE problem with the last update. My mistake.
    08-10-12 09:45 PM
    Same here... I decided not go back to .560 because I thought that RIM would fix the "bugs" on .668 ASAP...

Isn't too much if we wait for another week or two?
    08-11-12 02:54 AM
    Same here... I decided not go back to .560 because I thought that RIM would fix the "bugs" on .668 ASAP...

Isn't too much if we wait for another week or two?
    Just my two cents... I say stop these mamby pamby little nothing updates and get 2.1 end user ready and drop it. Time is a resource like money and all the hours spent on worthless "maintenance" updates are better spent on updates bringing features that consumers who spend money want.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-11-12 at 11:22 PM.
    08-11-12 09:03 AM
    The beta works really well aside from persisting broken email.
    08-11-12 10:18 AM
    I have the Beta on both Playbooks. I was keeping one Beta and one current os. 668 worked so bad I just upgraded the 64 to the Beta. Everything works fine. The larger question is Can RIM get software out the door correctly? This doesn't seem like that big of an update (668). I am waiting for BB10 and already have the money saved up to buy it outright but i am having my doubts about RIM's ability to get it out the door fully baked. Hope they can!
    08-11-12 12:28 PM
    Okay, just checked the CB main blog page. No update for the pulled .668.

So, I gather this leaves those of us without it exposed to some Flash weaknesses. Rare probably but rim thought enough of warnings to issue the .668 and still have not offered a replacement.

I guess I find this situation odd, or odder than some other stuff rim has or has not done.

If it really was related to the 1.xxxx still on some pb's, you'd think that rim could offer two versions, one for 1.xxxx and another for the rest of us. Obviously, when we check for updates, the server knows what we have on our pb's. Oh, well, just wondering................
    08-13-12 11:33 AM
    Okay, just checked the CB main blog page. No update for the pulled .668.

So, I gather this leaves those of us without it exposed to some Flash weaknesses. Rare probably but rim thought enough of warnings to issue the .668 and still have not offered a replacement.

I guess I find this situation odd, or odder than some other stuff rim has or has not done.

If it really was related to the 1.xxxx still on some pb's, you'd think that rim could offer two versions, one for 1.xxxx and another for the rest of us. Obviously, when we check for updates, the server knows what we have on our pb's. Oh, well, just wondering................
    I laughed when one of the CrackBerry Mods posted a picture of a "Red Herring" in the thread about RIM's claim that 668 was pulled because of OS1.07 concerns.

I very much doubt that anyone having issues with 668 can even recall the last time they had 1.07 on their PBs.

Yeah, strange isn't it. The purported reason for the 668 update was to address a serious Flash vulnerability... and still no update to replace the pulled OS. Maybe on second thoughts RIM decided the vulnerability wasn't so serious after all.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-14-12 01:44 AM
    I've been meaning to mention this but, has anyone else noticed the update not as crazy anymore? This is directed to those who had severe battery issues as I did, I've found that it has gotten much better somehow. Sometimes the battery still seems to drain a little faster, but most of the issue seems to have just disappeared and my PlayBook is now, for all intents and purposes, back to normal. Anyone else?
    08-14-12 03:17 AM
    My son's PB still has severe battery problems which aren't getting any better. Off the charger, the PB will shut down after a few despite showing 100% charge.

For the record, he doesn't use email, has never used Bridge (no BB phone), and has no Android Apps on the device. Just vanilla 668.

He asked me to restore 358 this morning... when I told him he'd have to also restore all his games, he changed his mind and decided he'd use it permanently on the charger.

He's kind of annoyed that 668 has turned his playbook into a keyboardless desktop PC that can't be disconnected from the mains.
    08-14-12 03:26 AM
    ...one would have expected its replacement
    subject this always unshaved and T-shirt wearing guy was not employed
    for PR reasons pretending only being on our side -

tell him what pi%%es you off and he may turn his finger towards the folks you
    have in mind now.

Damian
    Attached Thumbnails 2.1?  Heck, where's a working .668 or better?-blackberry-choice-tshirt.jpg  
    08-14-12 04:52 AM
    I laughed when one of the CrackBerry Mods posted a picture of a "Red Herring" in the thread about RIM's claim that 668 was pulled because of OS1.07 concerns.

I very much doubt that anyone having issues with 668 can even recall the last time they had 1.07 on their PBs.

Yeah, strange isn't it. The purported reason for the 668 update was to address a serious Flash vulnerability... and still no update to replace the pulled OS. Maybe on second thoughts RIM decided the vulnerability wasn't so serious after all.
    With Rim these days, Serious is a sliding scale. Flash, hhhhmmm. 6.88, battery drain and molten chips, hmmm. "what shall be do?"

So SERIOUS is kind of like SOON - it means whatever Rim thinks it should mean, at some moment in time.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-14-12 05:58 PM
    would anyone be able to say if OS2.1 allows you to keep the playbook alive ? ie, disable sleep mode etc.
    08-16-12 12:08 AM
    So... here's the thing... 668 on my boy's PB seems to have killed the battery.

After having 668 on his PB for a few days, the battery life got shorter and shorter and now the PB will no longer work unless it is connected to a charger.

I've updated it to the 2.1 Beta, but the battery will still not power the PB unless a charger is connected. It won't even boot!

I'll see if I can throw myself on the mercy of UK customer support and see if they'll replace it under a warranty that has now expired.

I don't have high hopes, I can't prove 668 killed the PB even though I'm completely convinced that it did.

We had a working, reliable PB for over a year... put 668 on for a few days and had immediate "power issues"... power issues which appear permanent as I've since tried both 358 and the 2.1 Beta without success. Regardless of the installed OS, the battery will no longer power the PB.

His PB is now pointless as a tablet as it can only travel as far as the length of the charger power cord!

I've given my son my PB as a replacement. And, as I no longer have a PB of my own, I think this may be as far as my journey with RIM goes. So, Good Luck all, and I hope BB10 works out for you.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-16-12 at 08:20 AM.
    08-16-12 07:32 AM
    Jeep did you do a hard reset?

Hold down the volume keys for at least 1 full minute - the PB will turn itself off during that time - keep the volume buttons down past that point.

PB Support will get you to do that anyway whilst you're on the phone to them.

See if that makes a difference.
    08-16-12 07:47 AM
    .668 has been the best OS by far on mine.
    08-16-12 08:00 AM
    Jeep:

Have you tried using the Debrick method which MAY bring you back to the current official OS. But I guess if the .668 really overheated the battery, it may have done some permanent damage.

Does he have Hotmail on that pb? It has problems recently.

And you can't leave - who will I reciprocate LIKES with??????
    08-16-12 09:25 AM
    wow man. i hope since RIM scaled back on their supply chains we don't see this with the BB10 hardware.. batches of phones that are released with problems other batches dont. So frustrating.

I feel for you JeepBB
    08-16-12 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the various suggestions... I reckon I've tried them all (hard resets, debricks, OS's 358 & 2.1 Beta, no mail accounts, no bridged phone), but I do thank you all for trying to help.

The battery says it is charging, and maybe it is, but it won't hold that charge and the standalone PB will neither boot nor survive for more than a few seconds without mains power.

I had nothing to lose so I even ran the charge on the PB to flat (connected the BB phone charger and ran the demo video non-stop for hours) hoping to somehow reset the battery. The phone charger can't quite keep up with the demand and so the battery slowly discharges even though it's connected to power.

I then did the stack charging game to try and kick the battery into a new life according to the instructions provided by F2. I thought I was winning, the battery charged (flashing green LED) overnight... but still wouldn't hold that charge, and the PB died as soon as the charger was removed.

I can't stop anyone from posting here how 668 is the best OS that's ever been on their PB. I'm glad it works for you, but it really doesn't help, and RIM clearly don't agree that it was all that great or it wouldn't have been withdrawn after 1 day!

So yes, I reckon something power-related in the PB has been permanently fried by 668. And that's the final straw for me - so I'm out.

I wish you all well and hope you eventually get BB10 on your PBs.

o/
    08-16-12 11:11 AM
    wow man. i hope since RIM scaled back on their supply chains we don't see this with the BB10 hardware.. batches of phones that are released with problems other batches dont. So frustrating.

I feel for you JeepBB
    Less suppliers, less manufactures, less problems.

They all come from the same spot, therefore limiting the chances of issues and increasing the chance of determining where the problem originated from.
    08-16-12 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the various suggestions... I reckon I've tried them all (hard resets, debricks, OS's 358 & 2.1 Beta, no mail accounts, no bridged phone), but I do thank you all for trying to help.

The battery says it is charging, and maybe it is, but it won't hold that charge and the standalone PB will neither boot nor survive for more than a few seconds without mains power.

I had nothing to lose so I even ran the charge on the PB to flat (connected the BB phone charger and ran the demo video non-stop for hours) hoping to somehow reset the battery. The phone charger can't quite keep up with the demand and so the battery slowly discharges even though it's connected to power.

I then did the stack charging game to try and kick the battery into a new life according to the instructions provided by F2. I thought I was winning, the battery charged (flashing green LED) overnight... but still wouldn't hold that charge, and the PB died as soon as the charger was removed.

I can't stop anyone from posting here how 668 is the best OS that's ever been on their PB. I'm glad it works for you, but it really doesn't help, and RIM clearly don't agree that it was all that great or it wouldn't have been withdrawn after 1 day!

So yes, I reckon something power-related in the PB has been permanently fried by 668. And that's the final straw for me - so I'm out.

I wish you all well and hope you eventually get BB10 on your PBs.

o/
    I can be wrong but I honestly doubt that the cause of your PB battery being dead is directly caused by the upgrade. If I were on your shoes I'll contact technical support and ask for a replacement. Some time ago I had a similar problem and the all RMA process took less than a week.
    08-16-12 04:19 PM
    I can be wrong but I honestly doubt that the cause of your PB battery being dead is directly caused by the upgrade. If I were on your shoes I'll contact technical support and ask for a replacement. Some time ago I had a similar problem and the all RMA process took less than a week.
    Yes PB Support may do something ... but as Jeep said - he's past the 12 month warranty period.
    08-16-12 06:50 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD