When my wife updated her ipad via itunes on our pc, itunes did ask if she wanted to back up first (recommended). The last few updates were over wifi and no such advice was given (as is also the case with the playbook). We now try to avoid connecting the ipad to the pc as itunes tries to make us load a bunch of stuff we don't want (games my kid bought for his ipod, updates for apps we barely use, etc, and the idea of having to load media via the app that's going to use it drives me nuts.
    02-18-13 07:05 PM
    gotta add my two cents: its been much less stable since the update. As for the suggestion about a security wipe etc, please, these things are supposed to be Grandma-friendly. Such suggestions only put smiles on the faces of Apple employees everywhere.
    Do you mean the Apple employees at the Genius Bar that are booked solid with appointments to try and fix Apple devices? They're probably smiling because people see that ALL tech devices have issues...
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-18-13 09:57 PM
    We have 2 playbooks, have never had an issue with any of the updates, have never done a security wipe before any of them either. Fortunate I guess but we are happy with them.
    02-18-13 10:14 PM
    Have updated 5 PlayBooks so far and not one issue.

I suspect Pilot Errors. Seems to be a correlation between those saying they have major issues and low post count. :-)
    02-18-13 10:30 PM
    No new issues for me. OS 2+ has been slightly sluggish compared to 1.6 but I think its more of a ram / CPUimit.

I don't see the ops actual issue anywhere. But upgrades are intense on an os and function pointers change. So a faulty ssd or mem stick could cause major failures post upgrade that were fine pre ugrade as well as a potential bad patching error (such as an unexpected file permission error due to a users unique running services locking core files during initial install.

You know, one offs.

Sent from my BlackBerry S10.1 using Tapatalk Touch Beta
    02-18-13 10:41 PM
    No problems with my update. PlayBook is running great!
    02-18-13 10:41 PM
    And with advice like that, they wonder why people buy iPad in the millions... Aside the fact it is not perfect, at least Apple make OS upgrades a fairly painless procedure. Seriously, security wipe and backup??!! /facepalm....

I feel my faith in BB's ability to deliver waning....the promises and assertions of just a few months ago increasingly hollow...and I say that after a successful .1526 update....
    My girlfriend uses iPhone4 and iPad, I use a Bold 9900 and a PlayBook. I update, day one of upgrades, haven't had a single problem. She refuses to upgrade because every time she does, she has too many problems that make her have to restore and start from scratch. She makes fun of me for being a BB user, but then I just mention what iOS has done to her and she changes her that even
    Last edited by Khouri86; 02-18-13 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Punctuation :p
    Taipuma likes this.
    02-18-13 11:24 PM
    I'm like most of the other people here, I installed the new update immediately once released. Typically I wait, but was excited to see what was improved. I haven't experienced any anomalies, or extra lag, nor freezes since the installation of .1526
    I'm willing to be a guinea pig/ test subject at times.

I love my PlayBook and it goes with me everywhere I go, my constant companion since it was purchased.
    02-18-13 11:53 PM
    The update was painless for me, and playbook is running fine, better than before the update.
    02-19-13 12:22 AM
    There are so many factors that can be responsible for a bad update on any device, tablets, phones or PC's. Sideloads, bad app loads, corrupt files, botched previous updates, wifi signal, low battery during update, interrupted downloads and updates, etc.... And many times a corrupt file or service doesn't show up until the next update. That's why ALL tablet and computer OS providers recommend backups before updates and many times before certain downloads. It happens a lot to all tablets. Go visit some Apple and Android forums and see for yourself. To be fair, the majority of update problems on not only the PB, but iPads and android tablets aren't due to the updates but to pre-existing conditions that the new update exposed. If the problem was truly the update itself, it would be widespread and it's obviously not. I personally do a hard restart before and after every update, insure I have a full battery and excellent wifi signals. I also don't do sideloads, and so far, no update issues ever with our PBs at home nor the several at work, with the exception of one, and that was traced to a bad app, deleted, and everything good.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-19-13 01:09 AM
    are you using yahoo? i get the same issue.. i have 2 email accounts a yahoo and a hotmail.. no issue with hot mail.. yahoo another story..
    Yep im using yahoo, live, and gmail. I don't know why.
    Hahaha
    02-19-13 04:53 AM
    And with advice like that, they wonder why people buy iPad in the millions... Aside the fact it is not perfect, at least Apple make OS upgrades a fairly painless procedure. Seriously, security wipe and backup??!! /facepalm....

I feel my faith in BB's ability to deliver waning....the promises and assertions of just a few months ago increasingly hollow...and I say that after a successful .1526 update....
    I'd not be so smug, ios 6 update killed access to lots of wireless access points for users at my company, my boss in particular was a complete pita about it and seemed to feel IT could wave a wand and fix what apple had broken
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-19-13 04:53 AM
    Lolololol. A lawsuit. On what grounds?

My watch battery died... im suing Bulova!!
    Nah sue Einstein, it's probably his fault for farting around with time
    02-19-13 04:55 AM
    I had no problems with the update, knock on wood, but I find it ridiculous that RIM would advise people to wipe their device before an OS upgrade. That's outrageous.
    02-20-13 02:03 AM
    watching a YouTube video in the browser and suddenly no sounds coming out. Need to restart to fix the problem. #fail

BlackBerry 9220/OS7.1.0.398, PlayBook 64GB Wifi/OS2.1.0.1526
    02-20-13 02:54 AM
    gotta add my two cents: its been much less stable since the update. As for the suggestion about a security wipe etc, please, these things are supposed to be Grandma-friendly. Such suggestions only put smiles on the faces of Apple employees everywhere.
    Lol! I'm a Grandma and have been using my 64G Playbook every day since September 2011. Don't underestimate us "older folks." When my kids and grandkids have issues with their devices they often ask me to help them figure it out when they're stumped. Yeah, I'm their go-to-granny. And just wanted to add that I've had no problems with the latest update in fact it fixed the repeated requests for my Yahoo! password so it was a definite win for me.
    02-21-13 11:58 AM
    Indeed, my clock is messed up.
    My browser now have doubled the amount of checkerboards.
    02-21-13 12:50 PM
    Lol! I'm a Grandma and have been using my 64G Playbook every day since September 2011. Don't underestimate us "older folks." When my kids and grandkids have issues with their devices they often ask me to help them figure it out when they're stumped. Yeah, I'm their go-to-granny.
    Glad to hear it! Though I suspect you're a young grandma. I can't imagine my 80 year old grandma posting on the 'net about tech gadgets. :O
    02-21-13 03:14 PM
    4 PB's in my house did my wifes and mine the first day and the boys did there own, no backing up and no problems. Made sure all were fully charged and away they went. Now there is only a few side loaded apps on these machines the rest are all BB, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Never had an issue with any of the PB after updates.
    02-21-13 03:42 PM
    No issues on my PB.

Using Z10 posting on CB10
    02-21-13 05:14 PM
    I have 2 Playbooks, I updated the first and the browser speed is now blazing fast like my laptop, awesome. Am downloading the update for the 2nd. Playbook rocks!
    02-21-13 11:35 PM
    I got to tell you, im not impressed

I got to tell you its one of the better version yet released.

Tim
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-22-13 09:19 AM
    Have updated 5 PlayBooks so far and not one issue.

I suspect Pilot Errors. Seems to be a correlation between those saying they have major issues and low post count. :-)
    Does a post count of >600 count as low? Because my playbook has been gobbling up battery like no tomorrow. (much more so than before the update)
    Going to do a wipe now to see if it gets better.
    EricB1968 likes this.
    02-22-13 01:03 PM
    Does a post count of >600 count as low? Because my playbook has been gobbling up battery like no tomorrow. (much more so than before the update)
    Going to do a wipe now to see if it gets better.
    Do you have Outlook mail installed? There is a thread discussing that.

Good luck with the gobblers.
    02-22-13 01:13 PM
    First, sorry that the OP is having issues.

Second, I bet lots of people on these forums had a completely painless upgrade ... myself included. I clicked update, I downloaded, it installed, it rebooted. No problem whatsoever. Pretty painless for me. And I bet most others.

Third, again - sorry for the OP but it's likely the exception vs. the rule. Sorta like if you do a search for "iPad + upgrade problem" in google, you'll get plenty of hits. Stuff happens, sadly.
    02-22-13 01:30 PM
100 1234