So as you know I downloaded the updated OS and it tanked my wifi, bridge browser and also my USB connection to my laptop. After 3 hours on the line with BB tech support last night and 1 hour today, my Playbook is going to be shipped back to BB for repairs. The tech today told me that its a known issue with the updated OS and for some reason the new OS was having issues with N wifi connections. They also stated that the WIFI download of the updated OS was an issue.

I have to compliment BB tech support of being very helpful and accomodating and covering this under warranty even though my unit was out of warranty.

So in 7 to 10 days, I will have a non bricked Playbook back.
    11-26-11 07:10 PM
    For some reason, sometimes when I open up App World, my wifi disconnects then when I close it, it re-connects. Weird...
    11-26-11 07:35 PM
    mikejr723,

I downloaded OS 1.0.8.4985 a few days ago, noted some issues with internet connectivity. I messed around for a few days until today. I spent from about 09:30 to 17:00 today with RIM tech support. They finally patched me to an analyst who Webexed to my desktop at home. After working with him for about 1.5 hours he had me adjust my router and stayed with me on the phone until he was sure all was well. He will contact me tomorrow to ensure the fix is adequate.

Bottom line, for me the playbook works with wireless g. Ensure you talk to one of these analysts. They are aware of the issue and the one that was working me said the problem is pushed now to development where they will solve the issue.

I hope this helps. The analyst also said there was no need to have my playbook go through the earlier tech support fixes e.g. backup, wipe, reboot, reinstall etc.
    11-26-11 07:39 PM
    If RIM is aware of this then why not a message following the release to let people know that a fix to this is coming at some point.
    11-26-11 08:57 PM
    If RIM is aware of this then why not a message following the release to let people know that a fix to this is coming at some point.
    Research In Motion corporate is not known for its proactive communication about known issues. The fix will likely not appear until BBPBOS 2.0. On my owner wireless router I just verified the tablet is connected using 802.11G even though I have enabled mixed mode on the router (802.11N/G/B). Maybe the smartphone is forcing all wireless connections into G mode?
    11-26-11 09:22 PM
    So as you know I downloaded the updated OS and it tanked my wifi, bridge browser and also my USB connection to my laptop. After 3 hours on the line with BB tech support last night and 1 hour today, my Playbook is going to be shipped back to BB for repairs. The tech today told me that its a known issue with the updated OS and for some reason the new OS was having issues with N wifi connections. They also stated that the WIFI download of the updated OS was an issue.

I have to compliment BB tech support of being very helpful and accomodating and covering this under warranty even though my unit was out of warranty.

So in 7 to 10 days, I will have a non bricked Playbook back.
    Hmm, I wonder if it was a "known" issue before the update was sent out. If so, then why the heck would RIM push out an update with such a flaw? If not, then why doesnt RIM actively do more testing before an update is sent out? Kinda reminds me of Sony PS3 updates
    11-26-11 10:23 PM
    mikejr723,

I downloaded OS 1.0.8.4985 a few days ago, noted some issues with internet connectivity. I messed around for a few days until today. I spent from about 09:30 to 17:00 today with RIM tech support. They finally patched me to an analyst who Webexed to my desktop at home. After working with him for about 1.5 hours he had me adjust my router and stayed with me on the phone until he was sure all was well. He will contact me tomorrow to ensure the fix is adequate.

Bottom line, for me the playbook works with wireless g. Ensure you talk to one of these analysts. They are aware of the issue and the one that was working me said the problem is pushed now to development where they will solve the issue.

I hope this helps. The analyst also said there was no need to have my playbook go through the earlier tech support fixes e.g. backup, wipe, reboot, reinstall etc.
    The tech looked at my router settings and since I was running on G already, it was determined that somehow when I downloaded the OS something went wrong, then when I did the wipe, the device just got bricked when it tried to install the already installed OS. Since my USB connection AND my bridge connection were also trashed, I think something went horribly wrong on my install.

I cannot complain about RIM as they extended my warranty and are going to fix my device free of charge. It would have been easy for them to say that somehow I screwed something up and rolled me under the bus. I had a fall back of the extended warranty from Best Buy just in case. It will be weird not having my PB, as I use it constantly!

Did you notice an increase in internet speed with the update as some have reported on the forums?
    11-27-11 06:54 AM
    I got a 2mb update earlier tonight. Maybe this is what it was for. I found it strange to have such a small update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-11 07:00 AM
    reported the problem.
    Hmm, I wonder if it was a "known" issue before the update was sent out. If so, then why the heck would RIM push out an update with such a flaw? If not, then why doesnt RIM actively do more testing before an update is sent out? Kinda reminds me of Sony PS3 updates
    11-27-11 07:18 AM
    I believe they are committed to playbook and consumers.

The tech looked at my router settings and since I was running on G already, it was determined that somehow when I downloaded the OS something went wrong, then when I did the wipe, the device just got bricked when it tried to install the already installed OS. Since my USB connection AND my bridge connection were also trashed, I think something went horribly wrong on my install.

I cannot complain about RIM as they extended my warranty and are going to fix my device free of charge. It would have been easy for them to say that somehow I screwed something up and rolled me under the bus. I had a fall back of the extended warranty from Best Buy just in case. It will be weird not having my PB, as I use it constantly!

Did you notice an increase in internet speed with the update as some have reported on the forums?
    11-27-11 07:27 AM
    I too have had this issue. I dropped my router from b/g/n to just b/g and now my playbook and my wifes playbook work. Its unfortunate because my media centre PC needs the N connection for HD video. Hope a fix comes fast.
    11-27-11 08:31 AM
    N works in much shorter distance than g. My PB would change to g automatically if necessary.

I too have had this issue. I dropped my router from b/g/n to just b/g and now my playbook and my wifes playbook work. Its unfortunate because my media centre PC needs the N connection for HD video. Hope a fix comes fast.
    11-27-11 09:00 AM
    mikejr723,

Subjectively, I have noticed an improvement. It could be that that for the first few days that the connectivity was bad and would only work for 2-3 minutes or about 5-6 webpages then would quit. I would have to restart the playbook, mess with the router, reset my wifi etc. to get it start working again. Then it would follow that 2-3 min/5-6 webpage cycle freeze again.

After working with RIM support/analyst yesterday all seems to be running great.

As an aside, the analyst also said this problem will be fixed and the issue is now known (to my knowledge as of my conversation yesterday with him).

I hope that you get your playbook back soon. I am sure it will all work out.
    11-27-11 09:42 AM
    Makes you wonder how thorough RIM's test procedures are; if any.
    11-27-11 10:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD