What is going on with this? Our playbook browser does html5 better than almost any other device, why can't I play html5 videos on youtube?

I added a couple of screenshots for review.
    03-14-12 07:43 PM
    Maybe something in your settings.
    you gotta remember not all videos are HTML5
    this is a HTML5 video playing in my Playbook
    03-14-12 08:44 PM
    Oh I also has the same problem
    So not all vids is available for html5
    Thanks
    Btw hold the volume up and down together to take screenshoot of playbook
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    03-14-12 09:23 PM
    Turn on flash in your browser settings.
    brunoxrs likes this.
    03-14-12 10:28 PM
    There are 2 video codecs for HTML5 videos available --- h.264 (which the Playbook supports) and webm (which the Playbook doesn't support).

If youtube has a video encoded in h.264 --- they can stream it to you via flash or HTML5. If youtube has a video encoded in webm for HTML5 --- then the Playbook cannot play that video.

Your 2nd screenshot specifically tells you that the Playbook doesn't support webm html5 video. The video in your 1st screenshot is a webm encoded video --- you can verify that by youtube's advanced search filter and search only for webm videos.

If you use the Opera browser on a PC --- the reverse happens. Opera supports webm HTML5 videos but doesn't support h.264 HTML5 videos.

You won't see webm html5 videos being supported in handsets/tablets for at least a couple of years --- because the chipsets currently on market has only h.264 hardware accelerated decode. RIM can't do webm on the Playbook even if they want to do it --- because it is not hardware accelerated in silicon.

Here is a pretty good background piece:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._traction.html
    Last edited by samab; 03-15-12 at 12:13 AM.
    VerryBestr and brunoxrs like this.
    03-14-12 11:49 PM
    DarcBerry thanks i didnt know that.
    Samab the video in my pic is playing
    In HTML5 webm. Also look at the video speed settings
    Search: &webm=1
    03-15-12 08:40 AM
    Also search this webm video
    WebM Demo with Leonardo Dicaprio - Shot with Red Camera
    This video plays on my blackberry phone and Playbook
    Going through the full desktop version not
    The mobile app.
    03-15-12 08:50 AM
    Ahh...stupid me. I had Flash disabled in the browser menu. You were right on the money Reschp. Thanks!
    03-15-12 03:26 PM
    YouTube is so messed up.. I works alright but I wish it would work better.. Vimeo is nicer in many ways and YouTube could take in a few things..

Sometimes I face some problems but I know its because of my network provider
    03-15-12 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD