Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

I find that most updates I get are big updates (ie new features). On my Android phone the updates I get are small bug fixes or updates for the newer OS versions. I don't even receive a lot of those (except for Amazon App Store).

I find BlackBerry apps tend to have less bugs and little need to do "maintenance updates". Like I mentioned above, generally when there is an update for a PB app it adds a bunch of new features.

So, yes they are still updated, but there is no need for small maintenance updates and so there isn't much need of many small updates.

Edit: As for RIM apps, yeah like mentioned before there is no reason to do a overhaul on OS2 when BB10 is around the corner. That would be a waste of time, money and resources. I rather have good apps now without little updates and wait for the updated great apps rather than push back the release of BB10 due to less resources.
    CrackBerry User

Run In Crowd was updated yesterday.
    I have some apps that need bug fixes, and the others could use some improvements.
    The few developers that have been supporting their apps with regular fixes and improvements will be the first to get my money when BB10 drops.
    CrackBerry Master

There is another, less obvious reason why apps get updated: extra downloads increase their chance of getting into the top-trending or just-in lists, giving extra exposure. An app will also see a spike in new reviews/ratings (good or bad) when an update is released. That's two reasons for the "release early, release often" credo popular in app development circles.

For a dev, this is especially quick & easy on Android where an .apk can be posted to Google Play with no approval process. I've even seen devs update daily. Some devs abuse the system and just change insignificant things. An update is not always what it seems.

On BB and IOS, releasing an update is more complicated & time-consuming. Multiple updates are discarded during the approval process. Two reasons why we see fewer updates.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    rotorwrench likes this.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,666 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Innovatology View Post
    There is another, less obvious reason why apps get updated: extra downloads increase their chance of getting into the top-trending or just-in lists, giving extra exposure. An app will also see a spike in new reviews/ratings (good or bad) when an update is released. That's two reasons for the "release early, release often" credo popular in app development circles.

For a dev, this is especially quick & easy on Android where an .apk can be posted to Google Play with no approval process. I've even seen devs update daily. Some devs abuse the system and just change insignificant things. An update is not always what it seems.

On BB and IOS, releasing an update is more complicated & time-consuming. Multiple updates are discarded during the approval process. Two reasons why we see fewer updates.

I didn't *think* counted as new downloads for Android, but I'll check to confirm. If an app were updated too frequently, I'd probably delete it.

Here is just part of the changelog for the most functional to-do program (IMHO) on Android... keep in mind I donated for this way back when because I thought it was the best when I first tried it:

Upcoming features:

Synchronization with Dropbox
    Beta version (brand new app, refactored UI, Tablet support, customizations, ...)
    alpha 0.0.77 (25 November 2012)

Sort by "Due Date" and "Priority" available in home screen widget and app task list
    Filters by Status, Context and Tags can be combined with "No Status", "No Context" and "No Tags". Eg: Filter by status where tasks have "No Status" OR "Active" status
    Fix: Length/Duration number wheels layout issues in Chinese
    Fix: quick-add closes the input text by pressing the return button (it should happen only when the task title is empty)
    alpha 0.0.76 (18 November 2012)

Bulk update: Hide until
    Automatic reminder for missed calls (new option under "Events settings")
    Capitalize first letter of any title word (new option under "General settings")
    Task list contextual menu: Delete and Clone option moved on top
    Task list contextual menu: added Switch to project
    Fix: Due dates not properly managed in Active alarms list, also grouping issues
    Fix: When you edit a task from the search result list and change it to a project then save it takes you now to the project's task list
    alpha 0.0.75 (28 October 2012)

Backup file encryption
    Automatic deletion of completed tasks after a defined period of time (new preference option)
    Translation updates
    Preparation for Dropbox Sync.
    Small UI changes
    Fix: FC by sharing "Recently added" and "Recently modified"
    alpha 0.0.74 (14 October 2012)

Bulk update (move): remove tags
    Bulk update (schedule): set/remove due time
    Bulk update (schedule): duration/length
    New "Hide until" options (1 month, 2 months, ...) like in Toodledo
    Widget font size > 20
    Task list "Sharing" feature makes use of the current filter, the "Hide until" and the "Hide completed" option
    Shortcuts to notebooks (long-click on the notebook list)
    Shortcuts to active alarms, recently created and recently modified
    New preference option to force the automatic reminder when creating a new task from the Inbox list
    When you edit a task from a reminder and change it to a project then save it takes you to the project's task list
    Fix: alarm is not set when changed from the predefined options to "Date and Time..." (reported by Attila)
    Fix: when first day of week is "Sunday" then the "day wheel" misbehaves (reported by Gerry)
    alpha 0.0.73 (23 September 2012)

Daily backup schedule (Utilities > Menu > Backup Settings)
    Removed "Hide subtasks" menu option from "Starred" and "Inbox" task lists
    New tasks created from "Inbox" task list don't inherit active filter criteria any longer
    Fix: Some bulk update operations don't mark tasks ready for synch, and don't change the parent projects due date (reported by Steve)
    Fix: Delete on cascade confirmation message reports a wrong number of subtasks (reported by Mark)
    Fix: New tasks created from the Goals view don't inherit the selected goal
    Fix: Sometime the "contact" task title gets changed with messed up text (reported by Graham)
    alpha 0.0.72 (9 September 2012)

Option for automatically moving checked off items to the bottom of the check list
    Fix: Screen flickering on ICS and Jelly Bean

Some bug fixes, but I like the continual increase in functionality. Now, I don't expect to see this much development on current BB devices, and if i were a developer, I'd probably hold out till BB10.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,661 Global Posts

If some users wants regular updates, that's fine... if some doesn't need and care at all, that would be fine too... not sure what I missed for having an argument whether to "have to" or "none at all"...

But I strongly believes that some Apps and games must be updated for better or added functionalities (or added stages for games), smoother executions and fixing bugs... specially, those Apps and games we purchased... the "needy feeling" updates comes when you are using certain applications or playing games on other devices running different OS... you'll feel that somehow, PB or QNX OS was left behind...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Are your PB apps still updated ?

It seems that both overdrive and tetris are popping up with notification at least every couple wks .....annoyingly since I don't use them
    "G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,666 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshua_sx1 View Post
    If some users wants regular updates, that's fine... if some doesn't need and care at all, that would be fine too... not sure what I missed for having an argument whether to "have to" or "none at all"...

But I strongly believes that some Apps and games must be updated for better or added functionalities (or added stages for games), smoother executions and fixing bugs... specially, those Apps and games we purchased... the "needy feeling" updates comes when you are using certain applications or playing games on other devices running different OS... you'll feel that somehow, PB or QNX OS was left behind...
    I don't disagree. if you're happy, you're happy. I do like seeing functional updates (Rovio does this with added levels, for example, or YouVersion, which adds offline functionality, for example).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

Have gotten updates for a couple apps just last week. One paint program that was ported to Android instead of native which only made it harder to use.

Other updates have been a couple games but no updates to things I'd consider more vital. System level apps such as Facebook and the media apps really could use some polishing and new features.

I love the underdog, but can't ignore some things that do need updates.
    BlackBerry PlayBook owner by choice along with my iPad 2, leave the hate for the underdog (RIM) at the door...
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ing for the fjords

Both iTunes and Adobe Reader seem to want an update every 4 hours on the PC and after the the download bother and inevitable nag for reboot, I don't see massive improvements. It's more time wasted trying to use an app or program only to have you get completely sidetracked getting the update installed and rebooting vs using the app...

Updates are fine, constant nagging incremental updates are extremely annoying.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Default Are your PB apps still updated ?

Some of my most-used apps are constantly updated by the devs (Files & Folders, Blaq, ScoreMobile, e-Mmannuel +, etc.) So, all is well for me
    Perhaps it's true that some devs are busy preparing their BB 10 apps.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12