View Poll Results: After the 2.0 update can you connect to Desktop Manager?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

86 70.49%
  • NO

31 25.41%
  • I don't use it.

5 4.10%
    I'm intrigued that the PlayBook installs "Device Manager 7.0" via a virtual CD Drive on my Windows XP Pro SP3 computers - but the actual Device Manager > About tab shows it as version 6.0.0.44, not 7.0.anything.

As mentioned by others, this Device Manager reports the PlayBook as being connected but Desktop Manager and DDPB don't. Nor does the PlayBook appear as a drive in My Computer as it did with OS2.0. So I still can't transfer files to or from it from my work computer...

Yes, this is all using the original PlayBook USB cable as well as several others.

The main feature of the PlayBook that has impressed me is the professional level of its design - its interaction with Microsoft Exchange Server, separate work and personal file spaces, system security and more makes it a unique asset. Until this latest bug gets fixed, though, I'm only reminded of the definition of "asset" as a little donkey.

From the owner of three miniature donkeys...
    04-24-12 09:06 PM
    I have posted a potential solution to the OPs problem which I had once experienced that can be found on his original thread. I have not seen any feedback, but for the masses to read, here was my solution.

Essentially the issue was that I neglected a number of Windows Updates updates pertaining to the USB controller.

On your desktop/laptop, try going to Windows Update, check for available updates and install anything that may relate to a USB controller update. [This can be read in the descriptions of the individual updates.
    This may not be a RIM/PlayBook, but instead a Windows issue.
    04-24-12 10:07 PM
    Mine is yes and no. I can connect to my laptop (Windows XP) via usb but can't connect using wifi. On my desktop using win 7 its the other way around. Can connect with wifi but can't with usb.
    04-25-12 12:03 AM
    I need others to try this and report back. I went into device manager and found a listing for Blackberry. I also found in there blackberry smartphone and updated the driver. BAM when I opened DM it connected to and backed up my PB. Try that first. I also deleted to devices under ports for virtural coms for RIM. But I dont think that had anything to do with it.
    04-25-12 12:26 AM
    i once had that problem, even tried update and it didnt work. then i tried the usb cable that came with pb, worked like a charm every time since. so as trivial as it might seem check and tripple check your cables too.
    Not trivial, it happened to me soon after I got my first PB. I was doing a backup, had connected to my laptop and waited, and waited, and waited.....After several minutes my PB was finally recognized. I disconnected and tried again, same thing, then I realized I had grabbed my 9930 cable. I switched to my PB cable and was recognized in seconds.

No problem here. DM connected to my PB before and after the update. Home is Vista and at work my computer is XP, by choice. I back up my personal PB once a week, my work PB every two days.

FWIW, every update I delete DM and load the latest version.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-25-12 at 01:21 AM.
    04-25-12 01:18 AM
    I can't connect through the Desktop software or even through My Computer. I went so far as to wipe my PB clean, but still can't connect. So now I have an empty, useless Playbook.
    04-25-12 02:11 AM
    I did every thing except security wipe. Reinstalled DM,tried DM beta, windows xp and vista, use different cable,removed recently insatalled applications from pc, registry cleaning,resetting playbook. Still DM doesn't recognise playbook and reports os build "o". But It could recognise my curve. Currently I transfer files via wifi or by USB cable through windows network share.
    04-25-12 08:22 AM
    After over an hour with BlackBerry support, we got it working on my WinXP Pro SP3 work computer. I'll run through the steps at home to confirm the same on my laptop at home with the same configuration.

I'm not sure if all the steps were necessary but everything works once:
    1) Ensure latest version of Device Manager and Desktop Manager (already done),
    2) In *Window XP's* Device Manager, look for a RIM Network Adapter (perhaps as an Unknown Device). If found, uninstall it.
    3) Disconnect and restart the PlayBook. Once it's up, *turn off its Wi-Fi*.
    4) Connect the PlayBook to the Windows computer via USB. That time it came up fine, allowing Drive Z:\ access to the PlayBook via Window, use of the Desktop Manager, etc.

So my PlayBook is back, backed up, and getting its contents restored from before the upgrade. Hooray!
    SeriousBusiness likes this.
    04-25-12 02:40 PM
    Jim,

By chance did you ever try connecting the playbook with the WiFi off to begin with?

I have been wondering for a while how to connect my playbook to DM with the WiFi on. I have been going a year now having to turn my WiFi off every time to connect my playbook. I'm assuming it is a driver issue to creates this problem. Has anyone been able to remedy this? I remember I checked all over the forum for an answer months back and didn't find anything. I had also hoped OS2.0 might by chance have fixed it.

I'll search again and maybe start a thread.

Brian
    04-25-12 06:55 PM
    After over an hour with BlackBerry support, we got it working on my WinXP Pro SP3 work computer. I'll run through the steps at home to confirm the same on my laptop at home with the same configuration.

2) In *Window XP's* Device Manager, look for a RIM Network Adapter (perhaps as an Unknown Device). If found, uninstall it.
    4) Connect the PlayBook to the Windows computer via USB. That time it came up fine, allowing Drive Z:\ access to the PlayBook via Window, use of the Desktop Manager, etc.

So my PlayBook is back, backed up, and getting its contents restored from before the upgrade. Hooray!
    That is basicly what I did to get mine going. The installation on some systems installs an orphan blackberry device and that conflicts with the install. Hopefully rim can get this fixed so others dont have to go through this crap. By rhe way this happened on mt win 7 64
    04-25-12 07:33 PM

Jim, thanks so much.

The steps above worked for me. I'm on Vista (lol) 64. I can connect to Desktop Manager and access the PB via My Computer.
    04-25-12 09:06 PM
    Desktop manager can see my Playbook but says it's os is 1.0
    Mine says I'm on 0.0 ha.

Keeps offering upgrade but never works.

PLEASE FIX THIS RIM
    04-26-12 06:41 AM
    I don't think I tried that before the above fix. I'm not sure if that's what did the trick or the deletion of the RIM Network Adapter device driver or both.

However, it connects just fine now over USB with the Wi-Fi turned on (it's connected that way as I type this). That was the case with 2.0.0 as well.

Best to you!

Jim,

By chance did you ever try connecting the playbook with the WiFi off to begin with?

I have been wondering for a while how to connect my playbook to DM with the WiFi on. I have been going a year now having to turn my WiFi off every time to connect my playbook. I'm assuming it is a driver issue to creates this problem. Has anyone been able to remedy this? I remember I checked all over the forum for an answer months back and didn't find anything. I had also hoped OS2.0 might by chance have fixed it.

Brian
    brian4591 likes this.
    04-26-12 10:34 AM
    Jim,

Brian
    Are you trying to connect to connect to DM over wifi? The only way this will be possible is if Rim puts this function in DM. Then it would be that the DM connects to the PB over wifi. The PB is just a shared folder on the network unless you get some client based daemon.
    I'm not at my pc so I can't check to see if the new beta has it in it. Me personally wouldn't use it. I don't trust wireless backups. All other file transfers I do w/ out DM.
    04-26-12 11:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this was a no go for me. Only Rim item I was able to find was in the 'ports area'. No odd adapters existed in my System for me to delete
    04-27-12 11:42 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD