Today I went to a shopping mall and went into a source store in Calgary, AB and there it was - the very last blackberry keyboard and track pad they had left on for $99 special price so I jumped at the opportunity to buy it. I am very happy with the purchase. Some very initial impressions:

Pros:

- Quality, quality, quality. Unbelievably well built with solid fit and finish
    - Keys are great with a very nice snickety snick feel.
    - Hand gestures on trackpad make scrolling etc. very easy
    - Very easy to setup and up and running in seconds.
    - Trackpad very responsive and scrolling using two finger gestures is exceptionally quick and sensitive.
    - Leather feels great

Cons:

- Inspite of being a touch typist, typing very slow right now because key placement is very different from a keyboard. Need to use improvisation to become better at it.
    - Trackpad speed could be a little faster
    - One of the straps semi covers the on/off switch switch/LED
    - Wish I could prop it up properly in the lap like a laptop.

These minor quibbles aside, overall I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend it to Playbook owners.
    Last edited by BlackberryOS2PB; 05-20-12 at 08:14 PM.
    hpjrt and Vorkosigan like this.
    05-20-12 08:12 PM
    they must have changed the scroll speed from the original shipments. pre-ordered and had it day one it was released. the scroll speed is ridiculously fast which makes it unusable for me.

its scares me slightly that its something they had to change on the hardware to make it more usable. i was hoping for a software update that would give me a scroll pad sensitivity setting. this kinda scares me but really, its tablet. i never use the trackpad when in close range.

I primarily need a touch pad when the playbook is on the hdtv and im on the couch. for this though I use my bb9900 remote control feature and love the features. use the keyboard when I gotta type anything long.

for me, atm, the touchpad on the keyboard is a dead feature. never use it. would have been nice to have a trackball instead. one on each corner. like the hp wireless keyboard. would have gave more room for the keys so those with large hands could use this device touch type.
    05-21-12 01:46 AM
    Very strange since I can confirm for sure the trackpad speed is on the slower side. Most likely you are right that the speed must have been changed in the 2nd batch of shipment.

For example, if I place the cursor on the right side of the screen, it takes me three swipes from right to left to move the cursor all the way from right to left.

Overall, I love the trackpad for the scrolling gestures and also the precision in clicking small text hyperlinks.

I do agree that there should be a setting like windows where you can adjust the trackpad speed.

they must have changed the scroll speed from the original shipments. pre-ordered and had it day one it was released. the scroll speed is ridiculously fast which makes it unusable for me.

its scares me slightly that its something they had to change on the hardware to make it more usable. i was hoping for a software update that would give me a scroll pad sensitivity setting. this kinda scares me but really, its tablet. i never use the trackpad when in close range.

I primarily need a touch pad when the playbook is on the hdtv and im on the couch. for this though I use my bb9900 remote control feature and love the features. use the keyboard when I gotta type anything long.

for me, atm, the touchpad on the keyboard is a dead feature. never use it. would have been nice to have a trackball instead. one on each corner. like the hp wireless keyboard. would have gave more room for the keys so those with large hands could use this device touch type.
    05-21-12 02:09 AM
    I wish I could afford to buy the mini PB keyboard but I find it overly expensive. For the same price your can get a used PB. Since I'm a heavy DocsToGo user I opted for an unbranded keyboard from ebay and I only hope it'll work well (so far its reviews seem to be fine).

If only RIM could make it (way) more affordable.....
    05-21-12 03:26 AM
    Nice review and hope you continue to enjoy the keyboard. I think I will break down and order one from CrackBerry.
    05-21-12 04:49 AM
    I've had mine since March. I find the trackpad a little bit overly sensitive but not unusably so. It would be nice to be able to adjust the sensitivity manually.

I don't have a problem with the strap covering the on/off switch as I've found the battery life is much much better if it's just left on - like a difference of 3 days with turning it off and on, to a month if I just leave it on.

I've gotten so used to typing on it that I'm finding it hard to go back to the thumbs when I take it out of the case.

Overall it's made the playbook much more of a workhorse for me. Very awesome!
    BlackberryOS2PB likes this.
    05-21-12 09:53 AM
    I agree. I am getting much better now at typing on the keyboard gradually.

Regarding the trackpad, you are right about the sensitivity. It is actually quite sensitive and I have the same observation. The thing I feel could be better is how much distance does the cursor cover when you perform one full swipe. Since I set my cursor speed quite fast on my laptop, I wish I could do that on my Playbook as well.

Thanks for suggesting not turning off the keyboard since the charge will last longer. I will try doing that. Great suggestion.

Overall, it has truly made the Playbook much better and functions exactly like a tiny portable laptop. I absolutely love it.

I've had mine since March. I find the trackpad a little bit overly sensitive but not unusably so. It would be nice to be able to adjust the sensitivity manually.

I don't have a problem with the strap covering the on/off switch as I've found the battery life is much much better if it's just left on - like a difference of 3 days with turning it off and on, to a month if I just leave it on.

I've gotten so used to typing on it that I'm finding it hard to go back to the thumbs when I take it out of the case.

Overall it's made the playbook much more of a workhorse for me. Very awesome!

Hopefully, you can afford it since it is a damn great product. It will make your Playbook so much more fun and easy to use. Aside from typing, browsing and scrolling through web pages becomes so much more easier.

I wish I could afford to buy the mini PB keyboard but I find it overly expensive. For the same price your can get a used PB. Since I'm a heavy DocsToGo user I opted for an unbranded keyboard from ebay and I only hope it'll work well (so far its reviews seem to be fine).

Last edited by BlackberryOS2PB; 05-21-12 at 01:33 PM.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-21-12 01:27 PM
    using a bb phone and the remote feature is the poor mans keyboard. i actually use it sometimes when making short posts in the forums. if you write up long documents or emails u definitely need a keyboard and nothing better than the official one from RIM. im such a fanboy
    05-24-12 02:06 AM

I agree.
    But the truth is the price is more expensive since the convertible case is included. Perhaps if they will release another batch with only the PB Mini Keyboard, they could sell it for less than $60?
    05-24-12 06:55 AM
    I got mine from The Source too :P
    And honestly I'm fine with the price, In my opinion its a great product thats really improved the playbook for me (and i loved my playbook without it ).
    I do agree that Rim should offer just the keyboard for a lower price for those who dont want the case/cant afford it. Oh and can someone please telll me what the indented F and J keys are for?
    05-24-12 08:28 AM
    "indented F and J keys are for"

Generally, those keys on most keyboards are distinguished as HOME KEYS - find them without looking. My computer keyboard has a raised bar on them and some have little raised dots.
    05-24-12 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD