Was reading a LOT of posts because lots of users here suggest doing the research.

1) - I understand you can use the built in email client to read emails from multiple accounts. Does that mean I can set up the playbook to read emails from my gmail account? I know there seems to be problems with google apps atm, but I just want to read emails etc. Because of the problems with google apps, I wasn't sure if I could read emails anymore on the native email browser.

2) - I have read some reviews that said there was a buffering issue with youtube (on good wi-fi's). Is this a widespread problem or just some random problem (maybe high traffic on the wi-fi connection idk or perhaps he was throttled)

3) - I want to use the playbook to read pdf files, watch the odd video. I am aware you can't edit pdfs, (never needed to do that?) but the "find" feature on pdfs was particularly useful for my work. Do decent apps exist to search through pdfs? I think I saw some that said they were ok but laggy - I just want one that literally lets you read it fairly well and find key words if required. Nothing more

4) - I've seen a lot of threads about charging problems on the playbook - from what I understand, don't let it run out of charge. With general browsing of the web, how long does the playbook last before needing to be charged and is it really a major disadvantage to buying the product?

5) Final question - Is opera mini really available on the blackberry world store? I was quite surprised to see it because I love that browser
    curve-20 likes this.
    01-22-13 02:07 PM
    1) - I understand you can use the built in email client to read emails from multiple accounts. Does that mean I can set up the playbook to read emails from my gmail account? I know there seems to be problems with google apps atm, but I just want to read emails etc. Because of the problems with google apps, I wasn't sure if I could read emails anymore on the native email browser.

(Yes you can read your emails from your google account, outlook.com or any other email account you have.)

2) - I have read some reviews that said there was a buffering issue with youtube (on good wi-fi's). Is this a widespread problem or just some random problem (maybe high traffic on the wi-fi connection idk or perhaps he was throttled)

(There is no buffering issues on youtube, it's the users network connection at fault and blame the playbook)

3) - I want to use the playbook to read pdf files, watch the odd video. I am aware you can't edit pdfs, (never needed to do that?) but the "find" feature on pdfs was particularly useful for my work. Do decent apps exist to search through pdfs? I think I saw some that said they were ok but laggy - I just want one that literally lets you read it fairly well and find key words if required. Nothing more

(There are some decent PDF reader, although i never use my playbook for it. I use my desktop)

4) - I've seen a lot of threads about charging problems on the playbook - from what I understand, don't let it run out of charge. With general browsing of the web, how long does the playbook last before needing to be charged and is it really a major disadvantage to buying the product?

(The only charging issues people generally have is with the micro usb charging port. It's kind of cheap and easy to damage, Your better off getting a fast charger which is magnetic and will never have to worry about it. It really depends how much browsing etc you do and if you watch video etc.I go days between charges. If you play games, and watch a lot of video of course that time is way less.)

5) Final question - Is opera mini really available on the blackberry world store? I was quite surprised to see it because I love that browser

(Opera is Not available on the playbook. It's for the phones only. It will not matter soon. Once the playbook get's it's upgrade to BB10. It will have the fastest browser in the world [HTML5] on it. Tizen2 is the only other platform with a browser just as good)
    djpailo likes this.
    01-22-13 02:27 PM

(Yes you can read your emails from your google account, outlook.com or any other email account you have.)

(There is no buffering issues on youtube, it's the users network connection at fault and blame the playbook)

(There are some decent PDF reader, although i never use my playbook for it. I use my desktop)

(The only charging issues people generally have is with the micro usb charging port. It's kind of cheap and easy to damage, Your better off getting a fast charger which is magnetic and will never have to worry about it. It really depends how much browsing etc you do and if you watch video etc.I go days between charges. If you play games, and watch a lot of video of course that time is way less.)

(Opera is Not available on the playbook. It's for the phones only. It will not matter soon. Once the playbook get's it's upgrade to BB10. It will have the fastest browser in the world [HTML5] on it. Tizen2 is the only other platform with a browser just as good)
    Thank you very much for your fast reply. I appreciate you probably see threads like this all the time.

Where can I get a decent "magnetic charger". I vaguely remember seeing something called rapidcharger but wasn't really sure. I tend to just charge my phone overnight so I imagine I'd do the same with the tablet. Its mainly for reading documents, watching vids in bed and having some pdfs open on the tablet on blackboard (from uni) whilst I do some work on my desktop.

I've also seen the Dolphin browser sideloaded onto the playbook. Woyuld by any chance you know how stable that is? I only ask because the android browser on gingerbread is horrendously slow. I'm not expecting world record pace, but something that does at least load google.com etc quickly. (PS. I've never owned a blackberry device).
    01-22-13 02:36 PM
    You can get BlackBerry Rapid Wall Charger (ACC-39341-303) for PlayBook 4G LTE , PlayBook | BlackBerry Wall Chargers | CrackBerry Canada or BlackBerry Rapid Charging Pod for PlayBook : Tablet Power & Charging - Future Shop

I use the 2nd choice. If you look for deals you can get them under $10 like i did with random sales.

The playbook browser is more than enough to browse any site even with flash. Not sure why you want to use another browser. The optional side load browsers are slow in the PB and don't offer any advantage of using them at this time.

IF you have some checker boarding like on this site you can disable java script from the browser setting. So it's a bit of a trade off.. The new site design should get rid of checker boarding once and for all. Nothing really to do with the playbook itself, just bad web coding.

The playbook browser is plenty capable and more than enough.
    djpailo likes this.
    01-22-13 03:17 PM
    I have crummy wifi (pay for 7 down and during high-traffic hours it can go to 1.5 down) and I can stream YouTube vids just fine (almost always). I need to warn you that you will end up falling more and more in love with the PB and it will start to ooze into more and more areas of your life! And then we get BB10 for free. You can't beat it. And stick with the CrackBerry Nation. You will get much more jam from your berries.
    01-22-13 03:20 PM
    There's PDF Reader and qpdf in appworld.
    01-22-13 03:32 PM
    There's PDF Reader and qpdf in appworld.
    Yeah, I heard PDF Reader was quite excellent for only $1. Is it available in the UK as well?
    01-22-13 03:57 PM
    It's pretty handy to have Facebook messages downloaded to the PlayBook. No need to be online to look something up... but it pulls every FB message you've ever had.

Gmail seems to be limited to the last X number of days.
    01-22-13 04:59 PM
    2. I have had issues with my YouTube watching videos from the browser and. I KNOW it's not my wifi because if I use the App it seems to move fine although the app is nothing close to the browser in usability. I Don't know if this is was just a time of use thing or not but i just cleared my cache will see if this helps YouTube browser. FTR, in browser many times I would go in, watch a video, when I click on another vid it just kind of freezes and i have to go out hit history and click on the vidoe that hung. This happens many many times.
    01-22-13 05:05 PM
    Yeah, I heard PDF Reader was quite excellent for only $1. Is it available in the UK as well?
    Hi

I'm in UK, so just checked App World for you. I have to say, though, I haven't downloaded/used any of these. Maybe someone who has will post re their functionality etc.

qPDF Notes vs 3.0 (5Mb) - �5.00 - 4 Stars awarded
    "On Sale! An all-in-one PDF app to read, markup/annotate, fill/submit forms, and digitally sign PDF documents"

Pdf Reader vs 2.3.2 (11Mb) - �1.00 - 4.5 Stars awarded
    "Pdf Reader starts where the Adobe Reader stops. Pdf Reader sill save your spot and current scale setting and supports Pdfmarks"

qPDF Viewer vs 3 (5Mb) - Free - 3.5 Stars
    "qPDF Viewer is a free, fast and powerful PDF Reader"

Hope you find that helpful. Probably you can find further info on Google, of course.

Cheers
    curve-20 and djpailo like this.
    01-22-13 05:09 PM
    Someone recently claimed Opera mini worked on the PB- I know I had it running under OS 1, I believe, but couldn't get it to work under OS 2. Not that I'd recommend it, anyway.
    01-22-13 06:34 PM
    There is also simplebrowser and simplebrowser plus, which is useful if you want to set user string to a different browser to make sites load, although since last update of the os i have used the stock browser most of the time.
    01-22-13 06:43 PM