Motorola Xoom A Flop, Just 100,000 Sold So Far

According to estimates, seems like only 100,000 units of Xoom sold so far. Let's hope the PlayBook does better!
    04-06-11 01:24 PM
    Wow, I'm really surprised at the number. Here's another story. Everyone’s To Blame For The Xoom’s Low Sales Numbers
    04-06-11 01:54 PM
    Wow, I'm really surprised at the number. Here's another story. Everyone’s To Blame For The Xoom’s Low Sales Numbers
    I'd say "Don't blame anyone but Motorola".

Blaming Google and retailers for the Xoom's lackluster sales? I don't get it. Google didn't and can't force Moto to do anything. On the other hand, Moto's supposed to help retailers promote the product.

Motorola committed one major blunder after another with this thing, from the pricing/availability of models to marketing.

That stupid Superbowl ad was simply throwing money out the window. I agree with the author when he said "Show the multitasking and how it makes using the Xoom easier than an iPad. Show the tabs in the browser and the speed of Verizon. Show the cameras, the awesome notification bar, the multiple homescreens, the widgets, the charging docks, just show the damn tablet." That's what the ad should be like and it should be running when the device launched. I hope that's what RIM's gonna be doing.
    Last edited by Intosh; 04-06-11 at 02:20 PM.
    04-06-11 02:18 PM
    I'm sure the PB will do better. Just the larger enterprise BES customers that RIM has on tab should eat through that number quickly enough... unless there's something terribly wrong with the device on release.
    04-06-11 03:09 PM
    I think RIM expects that all of the 250,000 organizations running BES will buy at least one. I dont see that to be too far of a stretch given some would buy numerous. Apple and Itunes are so annoying for any sort of an enterprise environment, should not be hard to keep that side of the market which they can coast off of while general consumer base builds again.
    04-06-11 03:12 PM
    I think RIM expects that all of the 250,000 organizations running BES will buy at least one. I dont see that to be too far of a stretch given some would buy numerous. Apple and Itunes are so annoying for any sort of an enterprise environment, should not be hard to keep that side of the market which they can coast off of while general consumer base builds again.
    And the PB will require Desktop Manager with Media Sync to do its part... not sure it's a valid argument as much anymore.... not that it ever was for anyone that could realize that DM is no different then iTunes is when it comes to PIM Sync.
    04-06-11 03:15 PM
    Doesn't surprise me. The Xoom is too damn expensive. An average consumer's first priority.
    04-06-11 03:19 PM
    Morgan Stanley, doing some math on some data in a recent SEC filing, guesstimates that RIMM plans to build about 7 million PlayBooks in the next few quarters, according to Dow Jones. Morgan Stanley estimates RIMM will sell 3.5 million PlayBooks in Fiscal 2012 � the sales channel might get a little crowded if Morgan Stanley�s build-vs.-sell estimates are close to right.
    (from WSJ link )
    04-06-11 03:23 PM
    I'm sure the PlayBook will do better. I'm sure it will sell over 100k in the first week just to BES customers. I just do not expect it to come anywhere close to the iPad 2 though.
    04-06-11 03:24 PM
    And the PB will require Desktop Manager with Media Sync to do its part... not sure it's a valid argument as much anymore.... not that it ever was for anyone that could realize that DM is no different then iTunes is when it comes to PIM Sync.
    If you want to sync you need desktop manager, but you can still just copy+paste movies, songs, etc. Onto and off of your BlackBerry, so I'd assume you can on the PlayBook. The only other things you can do with desktop manager (that I know of) are tethering (which you could use an app for), viewing your PIN and other such data (you can also see that on your phone, but a lot of people don't know that sadly...), backups (but it doesn't seem to backup anymore than copy+pasting all data off of your phone into a "backup" folder does), and OS updates (which the PlayBook does OTA I think, and I've never updated my OS via desktop manager, because that's only the most recent non-leak, also, most normal people wouldn't actually notice or care that they don't have the latest OS). The only thing that you would NEED anything more than what your computer comes with would be tethering, but the fact is the low-tech people probably won't tether, and the high-tech people could probably figure out how to do it without a program, and you aren't required to use desktop manager if you do use a program.

Also, I'm fairly sure that when most people here say "iTunes", they mean the inability to download apps not in the Apple app store, and other closedness in purchases, not as much the actual iTunes desktop application.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 04:38 PM
    Morgan Stanley, doing some math on some data in a recent SEC filing, guesstimates that RIMM plans to build about 7 million PlayBooks in the next few quarters, according to Dow Jones. Morgan Stanley estimates RIMM will sell 3.5 million PlayBooks in Fiscal 2012 � the sales channel might get a little crowded if Morgan Stanley�s build-vs.-sell estimates are close to right.
    (from WSJ link )
    Can't wait for boxing day, no way pb will sell in those numbers.
    Be lucky to hit 1M ?
    04-06-11 04:39 PM
    no way are you serious no way my friend you are going to be proven wrong i gaurantee it
    04-06-11 04:53 PM
    I'm sure the PB will do better. Just the larger enterprise BES customers that RIM has on tab should eat through that number quickly enough... unless there's something terribly wrong with the device on release.
    I sure HOPE nothing is wrong with it, I am going to be dishing out my hard earned rewards points to get me a Playbook Launch Day, then do my darndest to convince my Company that we need them and to reimburse me half the cost
    though I am still not 100% that RIM wont mess it up some small way.

I have zero access to DM on my BES Blackberry, the phone is completely locked down, anything that goes on it must go wirelessly and is usually pushed by the BES. I would expect the Playbook to be able to be treated similarly, as far as I know there is No way to push content to the iPad/iPhone devices without iTunes. though I will happily be told I am wrong and that ActiveSync can do all that.

I'm sure the PlayBook will do better. I'm sure it will sell over 100k in the first week just to BES customers. I just do not expect it to come anywhere close to the iPad 2 though.

NOT A CHANCE will it catch the iPad 2. iPad 3 vs Playbook 2? that will be a battle that has a chance to be close if Both RIM and Apple get competitive, and a multitude of Android devices hit the Market. but the iPad2 will remain the number 1 selling tablet in 2011 I suspect, and I suspect the iPad1 will actually remain in the top 10 just because of inventory left in the channel.
    04-06-11 05:00 PM
    Can't wait for boxing day, no way pb will sell in those numbers.
    Be lucky to hit 1M ?
    RIM did an initial run of 1 Million units, I really expect to see RIM clear the 1 Million units in the first quarter, if the device works as advertised, if Not it might take 2 quarters to movie, that, but 3.5million shouldn't be too difficult with some 60 million active blackberry's and the multitude of NON blackberry users that might enjoy a 7" tablet.
    04-06-11 05:03 PM
    I dont agree that bb users will flock to the playbook,
    millions of android users seem to pass on their tablets.

I think many will find 7" is not as mobile as hoped for?
    04-06-11 06:54 PM
    I don't know. will someone buy the pb when a 7" android galaxy tab, which takes expansion cards and has native calendar and email, for $150 less, and have thousands more apps to boot? we will find out soon enough if and when rimm ever releases this thing.
    04-06-11 07:02 PM
    I don't know. will someone buy the pb when a 7" android galaxy tab, which takes expansion cards and has native calendar and email, for $150 less, and have thousands more apps to boot? we will find out soon enough if and when rimm ever releases this thing.
    Because they use BES.

thank you for the rest of the negativity.
    andyahs, Machzy and Intosh like this.
    04-06-11 07:07 PM
    I dont agree that bb users will flock to the playbook,
    millions of android users seem to pass on their tablets.

I think many will find 7" is not as mobile as hoped for?
    I don't expect users to Flock to the Playbook, but Android Phones are already mini tablets, MANY BB users have 2+ year old devices that just work for their needs, but would like something larger to connect to the device,

NOW I am heavily leaning on the Business consumer, and Enterprise Client, NOT the casual consumer, in my assertions,

3.5million units, in 3 Quarters would work out to about 1.2Million a quarter, which would be less than 10% of Blackberry Purchasers looking at the last 4 quarter purchasing trends. or with a Growth of about 5million NEW subscribers per quarter by year end one could expect 75million BB users, giving the Playbook a less than .5% penetration, so far from Flocking, but not a far stretch to make the assumption that 3.5million units could be sold by year end.
    04-06-11 07:14 PM
    you answered your question with mentioning the OS is android..... 2.2. noone wants an out of date OS on a not too impressive tablet.
    04-06-11 08:35 PM
    you answered your question with mentioning the OS is android..... 2.2. noone wants an out of date OS on a not too impressive tablet.
    I agree, now even though honeycomb on the Xoom is new its still very clunky and infantile. Were as qnx should be a little more developed os. Not saying new is bad just rushed gives a bad initial. Also the galaxy tab has its own problems like large amounts of returns.... to the retailers.
    04-06-11 08:40 PM
    Wow, I'm really surprised at the number. Here's another story. Everyone�s To Blame For The Xoom�s Low Sales Numbers
    wow that superbowl commercial was really bad. It looks WAY too big to be carrying out around. Looks like someone could easily bump into it and it would be dropped :S I think it would be more suitable for home and office use, than carrying it around outside like that. If I'm walking around town, i'd be more inclined to use my smartphone... not a gigantic tablet.

I couldn't believe when i read that it launched with a non-functioning SDHC card reader??? Wow! What were they thinking? I also read that for one reviewer, it normally crashed 5-8 times a day???

They released it wayyyy too early. They tried to get a jump on some other manufacturers but looks like it turned out badly.
    04-06-11 09:23 PM
    wow that superbowl commercial was really bad. It looks WAY too big to be carrying out around. Looks like someone could easily bump into it and it would be dropped :S I think it would be more suitable for home and office use, than carrying it around outside like that. If I'm walking around town, i'd be more inclined to use my smartphone... not a gigantic tablet.

I couldn't believe when i read that it launched with a non-functioning SDHC card reader??? Wow! What were they thinking? I also read that for one reviewer, it normally crashed 5-8 times a day???

They released it wayyyy too early. They tried to get a jump on some other manufacturers but looks like it turned out badly.
    they were thinking it was nice to actually have one!
    04-06-11 09:35 PM
    I knew when we released the Xoom at Staples and ONE customer came early in the morning purchasing it it wasn't going to be that serious. Since then I think we have only sold one Xoom....that one customer! There wasn't proper promotion for it and Motorola hasn't really been a great company to begin with so it makes sense.

I hope with this launch party the Playbook will get a better response.
    04-06-11 09:43 PM
    they were thinking it was nice to actually have one!
    i just rofled
    04-06-11 09:48 PM
    2.2 is fine. it's the first really good version of android and it won't have the bugs of qnx v1. lots of people will like saving $150 for the same size tablet, getting expansion slots, native email calendar, and thousands of native apps. I know I would.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 04-06-11 at 10:20 PM.
    04-06-11 10:16 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD