View Poll Results: Would you purchase a Playbook without being a BB phone user?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 45.26%
  • No

104 54.74%
    Is it worth it with no bridge? Please be honest, for all you current bridge users. Would you enjoy the Playbook without access to these additional non-native features? No BBM, no e-mail, calendar, contacts, ect...
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 08-08-11 at 10:14 PM.
    08-08-11 10:06 PM
    No because it would have far less connectivity. I wouldn't buy any tablet that didn't have 3G capabilities in some form.
    08-08-11 10:09 PM
    But then you have to ask yourself...why don't you have a bb phone in the first place? lol
    08-08-11 10:11 PM
    But then you have to ask yourself...why don't you have a bb phone in the first place? lol
    Because their phones totally suck, in my opinion...
    08-08-11 10:13 PM
    not until it has native PIM app baked in
    08-08-11 10:13 PM
    i dont have a bb, and loove my pb
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    08-08-11 10:19 PM
    It's really hard to say...there should be a maybe button, lol. I was amazed by the Ipad until I realized I couldn't haul it around anywhere. I don't use the bridge much since telus has free tethering AND I check email, calendar and ish on my phone mostly so I don't think it would make a difference. I wanted a portable browser with a nice screen, document software, pdf and book reader, and thats why I got the playbook. Plus, I'm a RIM fanboy.

I could have gotten an android tablet....but the UI just looks a little cheap in my opinion. Android always seemed kinda choppy to me, even on a galaxy s2.... in my BIASED UNTHREATENING opinion...don't hurt me!
    melander and Cozmik like this.
    08-08-11 10:26 PM
    I was considering Android for a while, but always had the PlayBook on my mind. I picked up the PlayBook, and am holding out for the 9860, hopefully not holding out much longer.
    08-08-11 10:31 PM
    Right now, today, this week I'd want a BB phone. Have another poll at the end of the year. Once they get Android apps done soon and native email sorted early next year it should be fine.
    08-08-11 10:31 PM
    i wouldnt....i love my playbook but sometimes i really do find myself looking for reasons to use it as im waiting for RIM to bring more features to this tablet. Once they bring the android player then mayb i would, but not being able to use the bridge feature to access the internet on the go would kill it for me
    08-08-11 10:33 PM
    It's really hard to say...there should be a maybe button, lol. I was amazed by the Ipad until I realized I couldn't haul it around anywhere. I don't use the bridge much since telus has free tethering AND I check email, calendar and ish on my phone mostly so I don't think it would make a difference. I wanted a portable browser with a nice screen, document software, pdf and book reader, and thats why I got the playbook. Plus, I'm a RIM fanboy.

I could have gotten an android tablet....but the UI just looks a little cheap in my opinion. Android always seemed kinda choppy to me, even on a galaxy s2.... in my BIASED UNTHREATENING opinion...don't hurt me!
    I understand your reasoning. Before I purchased the Playbook I only had the iPad 1 and it was shared between my wife and 3 year old son, who is amazing with it btw, but after going a few months without the features I was so used to on the iPad I could not help but get the iPad 2.
    08-08-11 10:35 PM
    Im writing this from my PB. I like it. I really do. However when the co-chairman of the company comes out and says the email and pim apps will out in 60 days, and I buy it based on his promises, well I feel bamboozled. The guy has no credibility with me (and probably with many others). I can not trust anything he says. zero credibility.

RIM has no ability to execute a game plan. The head coach needs to go and that means BOTH co-chairs.
    08-08-11 10:50 PM
    I understand your reasoning. Before I purchased the Playbook I only had the iPad 1 and it was shared between my wife and 3 year old son, who is amazing with it btw, but after going a few months without the features I was so used to on the iPad I could not help but get the iPad 2.
    Yeah, and honestly, if I had the dough, I'd get an Ipad2 for home. It's just sooo smooth and the software is like eye candy. But I can't justify the cost of having a tablet that sits in the home. It's just I needed that portability so bad, and I liked the multitasking of the PB. And honestly, the amount of value you get from the playbook such as free documents to go, bridging, no expensive hdmi adaptor needed, and it being 20$ less than the Ipad2 in canada, I can't help but feel I was saving money
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    08-08-11 10:51 PM
    I bought a Playbook and I don't have a smartphone. It is used constantly in my house, especially since our second laptop died.
    08-08-11 10:58 PM
    i purchased a playbook and im currently using a pearl (with no data plan)

and i havent returned it =)/

but having said that i will get a new phone ... probably bb (but at times it didnt look that way when the phones just didnt seem to be coming out)
    ReneeGray and eduardo53 like this.
    08-08-11 11:01 PM
    Is it worth it with no bridge? Please be honest, for all you current bridge users. Would you enjoy the Playbook without access to these additional non-native features? No BBM, no e-mail, calendar, contacts, ect...
    i have a pb and an android phone. I bring my pb everywhere I go even though I can't bridge. Why? because I drive and dont need to use it 'on the road' and when im at my destination, chances are, wifi is available.

i dont need/use my pb for any of the "BBM, no e-mail, calendar, contacts, ect...". I use it to browse the web, listen to music, and watch movies.
    08-08-11 11:05 PM
    Yes, I would. I had the Samsung nexus S when I bought my 16GB sold it and upgraded to 64GB.

TBH, I was done with BlackBerry but I made so many upgrades/purchases this year that I wouldn't mind getting some of it back so when I put the Samsung up for trade, I also wanted $100 cash. I figured what are the chances, took a few weeks and I was surprised, I got BNIB Torch 9800, originally I posted Bold 9780 since it's cheaper.
    08-08-11 11:06 PM
    im leaning towards prob not, i think i would've bought either the samsung galaxy 7" tab or the asus transformer.
    08-08-11 11:13 PM
    I'm pretty sure I would not have gotten the PlayBook if I didn't have a BlackBerry phone. I would like the same functionality of my BlackBerry on the PlayBook, and it is apparent that the bridge function is the only way to get that functionality at the moment.
    08-08-11 11:22 PM
    Traded my Blackberry Torch for the Samsung Galaxy S. Not sure if I'd buy the PB without the Blackberry...Kinda regret purchasing it in general.
    08-08-11 11:40 PM
    not until it has native PIM app baked in
    Totally agree with you.. for me if I dont have bb phone this will be the main stopper
    08-09-11 12:15 AM
    I use webOS on a HPalm phone. I bought my Playbook after seeing the Touchpad released and realized that after 2 years, WebOS has not produced enough to keep users happy. Over the Touchpad, which I place over Android tablets, I think the Playbook is superior in:
    - size
    - hdmi out
    - cameras
    - better flash support
    - The BB user base. I'm betting that the apps will come to the PB because the BB user base is greater than the current base of WebOS users plus the WebOS users who migrated away.

I jwatched 2 hours worth of streaming content from TBS yesterday over my HDMI out and thought how freeing that was to be able to "just do it" on a stock Playbook.
    08-09-11 12:24 AM
    Probably not but only because I was never really in the market for a tablet until news of the PB hit. The bridge functionality pretty much sealed the deal for me.
    lophreaque likes this.
    08-09-11 02:01 AM
    Honestly, I wouldn't have bought the PB if I didn't have a BlackBerry. However, now that I have it, I hardly use most of the Bridge features, as I'm pretty satisfied with email & contacts on my BB Torch.

So the question is: are you satisfied with your email / contacts etc on your iPhone / Android? If you are, then you won't really miss Bridge all that much PIM-wise.

Exception to the rule is Bridge-Browsing, which is made of pure win.
    lophreaque likes this.
    08-09-11 04:57 AM
    Even though I have a PB, at the current state (no PIM/Native email, no HSPA+ version), I think it's unlikely to buy a PB without BB phones.
    08-09-11 05:02 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD