I and i'm sure many of you use the playbook without having a blackberry phone and so don't have access to the bridge functions.

I was just wondering if those who have tried the playbook with and without the bridge think it is worth getting a blackberry for my next phone upgrade?

Does it really give you much more usage of the playbook?
    and will it be more or less worth it with the incoming OS 2.0 and associated native email, calendar, etc?

thanks guys!
    01-15-12 06:40 PM
    i have both, and i've used the bridge a total of once...my pb generally stays at home where i have wifi, and my 9900 does what it does so well on it's own...i suppose i'd bridge if i was out somewhere with no wifi just for internet, but that could be accomplished with any smartphone tethered..i think either are awesome standalone products, and while they compliment each other nicely, i don't feel they're imperative to the enjoyment of either
    01-15-12 06:58 PM
    The way I see it, the big advantage of the PlayBook is the Bridge if you are a BlackBerry smartphone user. With OS 2 and native PIM and email, and whatever other goodies, the advantages may be less so. The ability to bridge with the bridge browser instead have having to tether (and probably pay tethering costs) will still be an plus, however.

My advice is use the smartphone that is best for you, irrespective of the PlayBook. I don't see the Bridge making up for any negative issues if the BlackBerry isn't right for you.
    01-15-12 07:00 PM
    yes. do it. you will never turn back. just know bb strengths and weaknesses. bb are not app-rich phones for high schoolers. grown and sexy here at crackberry!
    blue-b likes this.
    01-15-12 07:11 PM
    seriously you have to ask???

haven't you seen the previews for OS 2?
    01-15-12 07:58 PM
    What do you want that you can't do now or with 2.0? If you think that using the phone as a remote is something that interest you or using bridge to surf you have to consider that. If you have a phone that can be a wifi hotspot either by paying for it or other ways you can do that also for internet outside of wifi.

I have to say they do go well together.
    01-15-12 08:11 PM
    seriously you have to ask???

haven't you seen the previews for OS 2?
    you have a Torch and youre saying to buy a BB. Obviously you have low standards
    01-15-12 08:15 PM
    it's def a huge advantage I can't imagine my Playbook without the bridge function.
    Helps a lot when I'm traveling I never take my phone out, I use the tablet for
    all my messaging and when I get a call it also tells me who's calling before
    I take my phone out my pocket. Love that about it
    01-15-12 08:16 PM
    And I guess one obvious advantage that bridge adds even after the 2.0 is bbm, if you want it on your playbook, bridging is the only way to get it I believe.
    01-15-12 08:25 PM
    If there is a Blackberry model you like when your ready to upgrade then yes.

I use Blackberry bridge all the time but if i had to use a different brand of phone to get that feature at this point in time, I wouldn't use it. There is only two phones out there that interest me right now and they are both Blackberry devices.

So I say unless there is a phone in the Blackberry line up that you like than don't do it. Unless the usable features make up for your cons for that phone.

So I guess my answer is depends.

James
    alistairtang likes this.
    01-15-12 08:33 PM
    Yes I would definately get a Blackberry and would go so far as to recommend the Torch that an earlier poster so unfairly maligned. As I have owned both a 9800 and now a 9810 I have to catagoricaly say I found them trouble free and most useful as phones, for email, BBM and texting.
    01-15-12 08:43 PM
    The PB and the 9900 or 9930 are a perfect combo. The upgraded bridge functions in os2 are going to make it even better.
    01-15-12 08:50 PM
    These are blackberry and playbook forums. I'm sure most, if not all, will answer a resounding YES!! to your question.

IMO, having one or the other does not do justice to what possibilities they can do together.
    01-15-12 08:57 PM
    Yes, it's better if you have the BB phone

Even with native PIM, if you're out of a wifi zone you'll need the phone

Get a BB
    01-15-12 09:07 PM
    I and i'm sure many of you use the playbook without having a blackberry phone and so don't have access to the bridge functions.

I was just wondering if those who have tried the playbook with and without the bridge think it is worth getting a blackberry for my next phone upgrade?

Does it really give you much more usage of the playbook?
    and will it be more or less worth it with the incoming OS 2.0 and associated native email, calendar, etc?

thanks guys!

bb phones are great. u should get one. with bridge and the pb ull love it .
    mariobastros likes this.
    01-15-12 09:10 PM
    I have an iPhone4 and I like it. Not due for an upgrade for another 18 months. But after watching the "remote control" video with OS 2.0 and bridge, I'm definitely considering getting an old BB to use as a remote. Just need to convince someone who's upgraded to an OS7 phone to give (sell) me their "hand me down" BB
    01-15-12 09:12 PM
    Heres what happened to me...in a span of six months...
    Bought the Curve 8520 to try out BB when my Nokia died. i enjoyed it.
    Bought the Playbook so I can maximize features of 8520 for my business. I loved it.
    Bought the 9860 to maximize connectivity, again for business, and maintained 8520 as a toy, and for testing out stuff. Now, I promote it.

You see...once you go Black(Berry) you never go back.

So obviously my answer to your question is...Go out and buy your BlackBerry now!
    01-15-12 10:50 PM
    Absolutely go for it, or maybe if you can wait for almost a year you can uograde to bb10
    01-15-12 10:50 PM
    I use the BlackBerry Bridge capability with my BlackBerry Bold 9780 and BlackBerry PlayBook everyday throughout the day. A bonus of the bridge-mode functionality is always available Internet access, especially for non-streaming tasks, without carrying an additional device such as a MiFi.
    01-15-12 11:04 PM
    The freedom of not having to have WiFi is awesome. But if you are always near WiFi, then you do not need it. For example I often use mine bridged while riding in the car (riding not driving lol).

OS 2 will bring some other things like BlackBerry Remote that makes other aspects of the bridge very interesting. You can watch those CES videos and see.

I find the 3G access the most compelling thing by far. But if I was near WiFi all the time, I would not say I need the bridge.

Aside from that BlackBerrys are cool phones in their own right.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-15-12 11:14 PM
    The freedom of not having to have WiFi is awesome. But if you are always near WiFi, then you do not need it. For example I often use mine bridged while riding in the car (riding not driving lol).

OS 2 will bring some other things like BlackBerry Remote that makes other aspects of the bridge very interesting. You can watch those CES videos and see.

I find the 3G access the most compelling thing by far. But if I was near WiFi all the time, I would not say I need the bridge.

Aside from that BlackBerrys are cool phones in their own right.
    Totally agree with you. I'm on an unlimited data plan with my carrier, and I only go for wifi if network coverage is limited, or if my phone battery is low.

It's also funny how people around me often ask if they could use my Playbook and/or BB to check an email or get a quick info from the internet. I usually tell poke fun at them by saying "if you had gotten a Blackberry instead of an iphone/android/nokia, then you wouldn't need to beg to borrow my BB gadgets, would you?"

Of course, BIS subscription is essential. It's one of the things that got me hooked on BB.
    Last edited by aj.bb.fanatic; 01-15-12 at 11:36 PM. Reason: addl comment
    01-15-12 11:32 PM
    Try it out for yourself. After all, most companies give you like a 14 day exchange in case you don't like it (check with your provider first).

There are plenty of tips on these forums on how to get the most out of your BlackBerry here and you are most welcome to ask any of us questions too if you need further clarification!

For me, when I was deciding on which phone to upgrade to, I tried typing on my friend's BlackBerry and it was love at first...touch!
    01-15-12 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD