I am thinking about getting a PlayBook but I am wondering if it's worth waiting for a 3G/4G PlayBook rather than tethering with my phone? Would a 3G/4G PlayBook be able to transfer data at faster speeds than a tethered PlayBook? It is my understanding that tethering speeds are limited to Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR speeds.

A major use-case for me is being able to access streaming content while away from home and without wifi. For example, I would like to watch a hockey game or sporting event on my PlayBook. I always have my phone with me so tethering is an option.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
    05-07-11 01:36 PM
    a straight 3G speed would probably be faster. going around the NOC would make it even faster. LTE or 4G would be faster yet as long as its not going thru the NOC.
    05-07-11 01:46 PM
    i use the mobile hotspot thru my thunderbolt (VZW 4G LTE) and speeds are awesome. Running speedtest.net they are faster than comcast at home wifi.
    05-07-11 02:07 PM
    Depends..is a second data plan worth paying for?

Like other have said, wifi shot spot and tether should suffice. A separate 3G plan might not be economical.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-11 02:08 PM
    Has anyone tried watching a hockey game or something through a tethered PlayBook? Are the speeds sufficient? Mobile hotspot is something I would be consider, but I would need a new phone (and BB OS 7 ).
    05-07-11 07:49 PM
    i would go with 3G/4G (pb with dedicated radio), against tethering.
    this way you won't be limited by the phone/modem's capability. as for data plan, it may be same same - in a ballpark.
    05-07-11 07:53 PM
    We have seen 3G/ 4G internet connections on smartphones. we know what kind speeds we get. And so both of these (3G/4G) and no way comparable to Wi-Fi.
    I am not talking of tethering which would be the slowest compared to all.

In my case I like this wi-fi only version.
    Advantages:

-No data plan required
    -I have a Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G data card and hot spot. and i use the hot spot to connect PB. I get 3g/4g speeds depending on the location.

Best of all at my work I get 4G connection and hence no bandwidth limitation. :

bottom line - all tests so far I did related to speeds home wi-fi / owrk wi-fi
    and sprint 3g/4g etc.

The WI-FI speeds are the BEST
    05-07-11 09:22 PM
    you have ****ty 4g.....LTE is probably 3x as fast as the 4G from sprint. Its faster than most peoples home connections
    05-07-11 09:27 PM
    you have ****ty 4g.....LTE is probably 3x as fast as the 4G from sprint. Its faster than most peoples home connections
    this is true. compared cousin's evo to my thunderbolt and mine blew his out on speedtest.
    05-08-11 12:39 AM
    Has anyone tried watching a hockey game or something through a tethered PlayBook? Are the speeds sufficient? Mobile hotspot is something I would be consider, but I would need a new phone (and BB OS 7 ).
    While I haven't watched a hockey game, I've watched crackberry youtube videos in a moving vehicle. I gave up on 1080p, and found that 240p was the only non-laggy resolution. 480p was a nice comprimise between laggy and high-resolution.
    05-08-11 06:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD