Hey Guys;
    Is it worth it to get extended warranty for the BlackBerry Playbook?
    04-05-11 11:38 AM
    Hey Guys;
    Is it worth it to get extended warranty for the BlackBerry Playbook?
    It's an expensive device so i did.
    04-05-11 11:40 AM
    I guess it depends on the price, however I usually don't get extended warranties - money grab in my opinion.

AR
    04-05-11 11:40 AM
    cause I'm planning on getting the 16gb and dont wanna spend to much, but than again if it breaks It'll be covered.. do you guys know what bestbuy/futureshop covers in there warranty's?
    04-05-11 11:44 AM
    I guess it depends on the price, however I usually don't get extended warranties - money grab in my opinion.

AR
    not for playbook or any device in that price range, I only get extended warranties if it at least 10K, like a car for example...
    04-05-11 11:45 AM
    not for playbook or any device in that price range, I only get extended warranties if it at least 10K, like a car for example...
    lmaoooooooo
    04-05-11 11:46 AM
    If the unit craps out during the manufacturer's warranty period, you should be covered. There are lemons in every batch of electronics but if the device makes it through this timeframe, the unit will probably last.

And there's always the CrackBerry Repair service (for a fee).
    04-05-11 11:47 AM
    cause I'm planning on getting the 16gb and dont wanna spend to much, but than again if it breaks It'll be covered.. do you guys know what bestbuy/futureshop covers in there warranty's?
    Best Buy Tablet Warranties:

1-Year Protection Plan
    $109.99

2-Year Protection Plan
    $249.99

2-Year Protect Plan (No Accidental Damage Coverage)
    $79.99
    04-05-11 11:47 AM
    If you pay by credit card likely you are already covered for a year or two beyond the manufacturers warranty.

For 'damage' repair then you will not be covered under warranty; check the secondary insurance for such coverage.

If the thing is gon'a fail, it will likely do it in the warranty period.
    Beyond the warranty period you will likely want to get a newer model anyway.

IMO, do not purchase extension. The salesperson push it 'cause they almost always get a handsome commission. Don't be embarrassed to walk away from the salesperson without buying the extension .. except if the salesperson is a relative!

Good point previously: "And there's always the CrackBerry Repair service (for a fee)."
    Last edited by mandony; 04-05-11 at 12:02 PM.
    04-05-11 11:56 AM
    If you pay by credit card likely you are already covered for a year or two beyond the manufacturers warranty.

For 'damage' repair then you will not be covered under warranty; check the secondary insurance for such coverage.

If the thing is gon'a fail, it will likely do it in the warranty period.
    Beyond the warranty period you will likely want to get a newer model anyway.

IMO, do not purchase extension. The salesperson push it 'cause they almost always get a handsome commission. Don't be embarrassed to walk away from the salesperson without buying the extension .. except if the salesperson is a relative!

Good point previously: "And there's always the CrackBerry Repair service (for a fee)."

What do you mean when you say"If you pay by credit card likely you are already covered for a year or two beyond the manufacturers warranty"..?
    04-05-11 12:05 PM
    What do you mean when you say"If you pay by credit card likely you are already covered for a year or two beyond the manufacturers warranty"..?
    Well for my credit card I get an double the warranty on any electronic device i purchase with it, up to an extra year.
    04-05-11 12:09 PM
    Check your cardholder policy.

Credit and Debit Card Protection | Credit and Debit Card Benefits | MasterCard�
    04-05-11 12:10 PM
    Is that only for MasterCard US? Because I'm from Canada and I Use VISA
    04-05-11 12:12 PM
    I'm sure squaretrade will offer a warranty
    04-05-11 12:12 PM
    Depends on the type of Visa card I guess.

Card Benefits | Personal | Visa USA

Call their 800# and confirm if you're covered.
    raj.rai likes this.
    04-05-11 12:16 PM
    I'm not usually one for extended warranties, but a couple of the exceptions I make are if my 4-year old daughter is likely to handle the item (whether or not I want her to) and/or if it's something I'll be carrying around with me a lot, especially out of the house. In either case, it would mean a higher probability of getting dropped or experiencing some other kind of accident.

For these exceptions, I've almost invariably used SquareTrade for the past year and a half. They get great customer reviews, and they have great prices.

Disclaimer: I currently have a nook, netbook, and iPad under warranty with them but have yet to make a claim, so I have no personal experience on how they handle claims. However, feel free to perform your own research on other customers who have...I was impressed when I did.

As a comparison, for the $499 16GB Wi-Fi Playbook, their current pricing if you use the TAX30 coupon code (unfortunately expires tonight, but they usually have one or two available if you look around):

3 years (no accidental damage coverage) - $48.99
    3 years (w/ accidental damage coverage) - $89.99

Compared to Best Buy's prices, that's a great deal. And considering that I'll be carrying my Playbook with me just about everywhere, I have no problem paying $30/year for the coverage.

By the way, I do not work for, nor do I personally know anyone who works for, SquareTrade. Just thought I'd share information on a company I've done a lot of research on before I decided to do business with them. However, you don't know me from Adam, so that probably means nothing. :-) Feel free to do your own research, and I'm pretty sure you'll like what you find...it's rare for me to find hardly a negative word about a company these days like I did with SquareTrade.

Hope this helps.
    04-05-11 12:17 PM
    VISA offers something similar but only on their signature cards.
    04-05-11 12:17 PM
    I have no idea why one would pay that much for a safety net. 20% of total cost is beyond ********
    04-05-11 04:01 PM
    I have no idea why one would pay that much for a safety net. 20% of total cost is beyond ********
    This.

My laptop extra coverage was 1/3 the price. If I only plan on keeping it 3 years might as well just replace it.

I got an extended plan on my Sirius Radio and have replaced it 2 already. Other than that forget it.

Although I did get an extended warranty on my truck. It was fun getting stuff replaced that got destroyed driving off-road and it still got covered.
    04-05-11 04:06 PM
    I just got preorder my playbook today and got the warranty from staples in Canada. It was a 3yrs one that covers spills drops crack broken AC pin and cracked lcd. i had to buy both accidently and the normal 2yr one. they were 49.99 and 69.99. but i think its worth it, supposed in a year and half it falls and breaks - i was told i can upgrdae if a new one is out and the onld was in no longer sold.
    i have seen this at bustbuy first had due to a item past its prime but in a year playbook 1 might still be around. hummm

zoom in at the pdf to see all the details.
    04-05-11 07:01 PM
    My Chase (USA) VISA card has extended warranty protection.
    Call your card company for info.
    04-05-11 07:11 PM
    My Canadian student Visa has the extra protection.
    04-05-11 07:16 PM
    I'd say it's worth it.
    At Best Buy, the plan covers
    Normal Wear and Tear (RIM doesn't)
    Accidental Damage (RIM doesn't)
    Battery Replacement (Which on the playbook because it's not replaceable, you'll get a brand new playbook.)
    Pixel Repair (Again, most likely a new playbook)
    No Lemon (3 defects, 4th time you bring it in, we send it out and you eventually get a new one.)
    Power Surge
    Good Maintenance Rewards (If you don't use the plan, you get double points on the playbook)

News time:
    We aren't on commission at Best Buy. We really only offer the plans because we believe in them. I'm buying the 1 year accidental plan for $109.99. With the 2 year buy back plan for $35. (When you buy the plan and buy back, you get buy back half off)
    So in a year (or so) when RIM or whoever else releases a new tablet I get 40-50% back on my Playbook.
    *EDIT*
    Yeah, it's a lot, but if you drop it, it's another $700 or whatever to get a new one. So.. $110 now or $700 later.
    04-05-11 08:23 PM
    I'd say it's worth it.
    At Best Buy, the plan covers
    Normal Wear and Tear (RIM doesn't)
    Accidental Damage (RIM doesn't)
    Battery Replacement (Which on the playbook because it's not replaceable, you'll get a brand new playbook.)
    Pixel Repair (Again, most likely a new playbook)
    No Lemon (3 defects, 4th time you bring it in, we send it out and you eventually get a new one.)
    Power Surge
    Good Maintenance Rewards (If you don't use the plan, you get double points on the playbook)

News time:
    We aren't on commission at Best Buy. We really only offer the plans because we believe in them. I'm buying the 1 year accidental plan for $109.99. With the 2 year buy back plan for $35. (When you buy the plan and buy back, you get buy back half off)
    So in a year (or so) when RIM or whoever else releases a new tablet I get 40-50% back on my Playbook.
    *EDIT*
    Yeah, it's a lot, but if you drop it, it's another $700 or whatever to get a new one. So.. $110 now or $700 later.
    oh it's replaceable, just a trained person should do it
    04-05-11 08:35 PM
    I don't believe in buying pieces of paper.
    04-06-11 08:51 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD