Hi,

I have a Torch 9800 incoming (I know the new one is just about to come out, but it was a killer deal on Vodafone and I don't really need to have the latest when my current BB is the Bold 9000!!!) I am aware that I can use the BB Bridge to get my emails, messages, BBM, and use the browser all via the connection I pay for with my Blackberry. (Correct me if I am wrong there!)

But the thing that I will use most will be the apps, and it would appear that the PlayBook just doesn't have much apps. The ones I'd like would have to be:

Kindle - unless there is a affordable ebook reader on the PB.
    Windows Live Messenger - some sort, doesn't have to be official
    Twitter
    Evernote
    Ebay
    Sukdoku, Spider Solitaire

There is some good deals on a PlayBook and for me, I like the size and the fact I don't need another data plan I can just use my existing one to browse the internet. I don't really want to buy an iPad but I am not sure if the lack of apps on a PB make it worth while.

What are you're thoughts?!

Thanks!
    08-14-11 06:09 AM
    use the forum search you will find that this topic has discussed on numerous occasions but in short if if apps are what you crave buy another brand.
    08-14-11 06:28 AM
    everything u mentioned works perfect on pb. except kindle. i use kobo. all good. i have 9800. really not sure about all this fuss re no of apps.. i have 15 on my torch and its all ill ever need. work. functions. play. go for it. ull love it coz so portable and powerful and does not break! (dropped it so many times) cheers.
    08-14-11 06:57 AM
    Hi,

I have a Torch 9800 incoming (I know the new one is just about to come out, but it was a killer deal on Vodafone and I don't really need to have the latest when my current BB is the Bold 9000!!!) I am aware that I can use the BB Bridge to get my emails, messages, BBM, and use the browser all via the connection I pay for with my Blackberry. (Correct me if I am wrong there!)
    You are correct. However all the things you mention that you would think they'd be working fine, however they don't. Currently I regret purchasing the playbook. I am struggling with the device. Even just using the internet has not been a fun experience for me.

For all the rest of the people who try to adjust hemselves to the playbook instead of the other way around, keep having fun.

I am sure the PB will be a nice product when it completes. At this stage it's not complete, and too early to buy in MY opinion.
    08-14-11 06:58 AM

Kindle - unless there is a affordable ebook reader on the PB.
    Windows Live Messenger - some sort, doesn't have to be official
    Twitter
    Evernote
    Ebay
    Sukdoku, Spider Solitaire

There is some good deals on a PlayBook and for me, I like the size and the fact I don't need another data plan I can just use my existing one to browse the internet. I don't really want to buy an iPad but I am not sure if the lack of apps on a PB make it worth while.
    For Kindle, you currently have the option of using the recently launched web-based Cloud reader. It works in the Bridge browser, too. You may also consider installing the leaked Android player and Kindle app. If you need to be able to highlight and annotate, the Cloud reader can't (yet); the Android app can.

Evernote and eBay are fine in the web browser. There are Spider and Sudoku apps available in App World.

No Skype, and no clear signal that it's coming.

Live Messenger works as a web app.
    08-14-11 07:17 AM
    Are you a person that is willing to wait for things that may or may not happen?

Is your main goal web browsing and media and the bridge?

Are you going to care or be disappointed if more doesn't ever come?

All though using on wifi is real nice bridge can be frustrating as all heck at times.

I can't say that I'm totally happy with mine but could be if/when everything it was advertised to do comes that it simply does not do at this time.

If you feel that you can wait for things that may or may not come or will be happy with a good browser media player and large screen extention of your phone then it will work for you. If not then I'd have to say to wait or find one that gives you what you want.
    bembol and coalburnns like this.
    08-14-11 09:32 AM
    I think kbz1960 covers it pretty well. The pb still has a way to go to be complete. Buy it for what it NOW offers YOU and not for its promise (which is yet to be fulfilled)
    08-14-11 10:01 AM
    Are you a person that is willing to wait for things that may or may not happen?

Is your main goal web browsing and media and the bridge?

Are you going to care or be disappointed if more doesn't ever come?

All though using on wifi is real nice bridge can be frustrating as all heck at times.

I can't say that I'm totally happy with mine but could be if/when everything it was advertised to do comes that it simply does not do at this time.

If you feel that you can wait for things that may or may not come or will be happy with a good browser media player and large screen extention of your phone then it will work for you. If not then I'd have to say to wait or find one that gives you what you want.
    Quoted for honesty without the usual fanboy spin.
    08-14-11 10:05 AM
    But the thing that I will use most will be the apps, and it would appear that the PlayBook just doesn't have much apps.
    What are you're thoughts?
    If apps are the most important aspect of a tablet to you, why would you go for a PB? I think it has a lot of great features, but as of now app coverage is definitely not one of them.

Most of the functions you mention are available on the PB now, just not as dedicated apps. If you really want them as apps, you can either wait and hope they come out or go with a different tablet.
    08-14-11 10:09 AM
    But we now have VEVO! 1/7 Apps I'm hoping we get by the time Apple decides to release a 7" iPad. LOL

kbz1960 covered it.
    08-14-11 10:18 AM
    Thank you for your replies! I would buy a PlayBook for it's price, form factor, and that it will browse the web, connect with my phone, and offer apps that I would use. I am thinking that when the Android player comes out, all the apps that aren't native for PlayBook would just be there?

Does anyone know what the downsides are to the Android player?

I hope there would be native apps for Kindle, Evernote, Twitter, and at least a IM client. Doesn't have to be official Live Messenger but something that works just as well for Windows Live.
    08-14-11 11:01 AM
    I haven't tried the leaked android player and I don't know that a beta version of it will give any idea on how a ready version will work.

You can look at the selection of apps for it in app world, the web based IM pages don't work real well at least with the bride browser because they keep timing out or if the page does a refresh for ads etc. enough the keyboard will go away everytime it does and drive you nuts.
    08-14-11 11:15 AM
    Where is the app world? I can only find the app world online that shows the apps for the BlackBerry phones?
    08-14-11 11:24 AM
    Found it! But only 533 apps are showing?! Search Results for "PlayBook" - BlackBerry App World
    08-14-11 11:26 AM
    I think of the apps you mentioned, none are on the Playbook, but bc of full flash sites you can do everything except Kindle.

I have an Amazon Kindle, original model, I have to say tablets do not compare when it comes to reading books. Screens are too bright and don't look like books. Newspapers and magazines are better on tablets, but books, the real deal Kindle is the way to go and is better on the eyes.

So no Kindle on Playbook, but you can do everything else you mentioned through the sites, not specific apps. For me, I really like it, but my biggest disappointment is no Netflix!!!! WTF???

Bridge, IMHO is the best reason to own a Playbook. All tablets should be able to do this, but as of now, its only the Playbook...
    08-14-11 11:28 AM
    No. Big no period for you. You stated you want apps so that rules out the pb. You will be miserable with the thing. Get an ipad and be happy. I like the playbook because I don't have a problem with using the web and a hand full of apps for what I need. I don't ever want to replace my laptop with a tablet so email is unwanted and useless for me. I could care less about netflix because there are enough internet sources for that IMHO. Last thing cb needs is someone crying every other thread because they failed to research the pb before purchasing or don't have enough patients to wait on RIM.
    08-14-11 11:49 AM
    I was only asking to see if a PlayBook would be right for me, there is no need to go on the RIM defender act. I am a BlackBerry lover and will never change!

I stated I wanted the apps listed, I really wouldn't see any point for a fart noise app. I just wanted the thing to get my emails, have a native twitter app, read a kindle or alternative ebook, ebay, skype, and a few more. Nothing really massive to be honest.

I would buy one, but if there will never be the apps I want then obviously I'll just make do with my Torch.
    08-14-11 12:06 PM
    And for the record! If there is a wait for the native apps - I am prepared to wait!
    08-14-11 12:17 PM
    Do yourself a favor and do some extensive reading on this forum and you will find the answer to about everything you need to know about it before you purchase. I happen to like apple products but I think bb is going in the right direction with this tablet and it will be a winner eventually. I am no fanboy of RIM for sure but I think they will get it together here shortly.
    08-14-11 12:19 PM
    The bridge takes care of the email. Ebay and twitter work fine through the browser. Ebay is the full version which works great. Twitter goes to a mobile version. I can't speak about the other things you mentioned. I don't regret my purchase at all.
    08-14-11 12:58 PM
    Thanks! As those obviously aren't native apps, do you get email notifications when using the bridge?
    Is there the LED light like the BB?
    And finally! Eventually will there be native apps for thinks like Twitter, Ebay, Amazon, etc?
    08-14-11 01:35 PM
    Thanks! As those obviously aren't native apps, do you get email notifications when using the bridge?
    Is there the LED light like the BB?
    And finally! Eventually will there be native apps for thinks like Twitter, Ebay, Amazon, etc?
    Yes you get a red line/glow in the upper lest corner of the sceen. The led does nothing that I see right now except turn red when you first turn the playbook on and if charging while off it will pulse greenish while charging and stay green when fully charged.

As for the apps your guess is as good as mine, I would say there should be but only time will tell.
    08-14-11 01:48 PM
    I think I would need to echo what others have said. Do some research. A lot of the apps you request either don't have applications but work through a browser (probably annoying if you want updates and notifications). It's a lot to spend on a device if it doesn't suit your needs. However, if you like games and a decent browser for travelling, it may be right for you.
    08-14-11 02:13 PM
    I myself look at the PB with the question if I should spend my money on it yes or no. The bridge with my Torch was the biggest selling point here.
    After extensive reading I decided to wait until RIM releases a more up-to-date version. The hardware is awesome but the capebilities leave too much too want.
    I own an ipad2 wich is an awesome device but want to replace it with a PB as soon as Android apps can run on it without any work-around.
    I say; wait.
    08-14-11 05:42 PM
    I guess the bigger question for anyone, is do you "need" a tablet at all? Then after that, does the Playbook suit your wants and needs. It definitely won't satisfy everything, but I don't think any tablet currently out there does.
    08-14-11 11:42 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD