Hi,
    After long tablet market research, I have bought a playbook one week ago. And I spent most of the last few days upgrading, downgrading and rooting to run android apps. After using android apps in playbook for a while, I have found myself a little frustrated. Frankly, why had I bought a playbook when I want to run android apps in? Couldn't I buy an android tablet instead (I am not much of an ipad lover)?

Yes, I bought playbook for the features I was promised I would have (and got it a little cheaper than other quality tablets in the market ... but that's another story). I love the fluid and sleek UI. I love its real multitasking capability more. And I love... well, I love the "scrapbook" app very much and having fun with And I love the built-in "Docs to go" as it is very handy time to time.

However, It would be nice to have simple and free apps like GPS status, compass app, sensor data app etc to have fun with. To speak the truth, I am a long time android user and got used to have free apps anyway. But I am not asking for delicate apps for free. All I am asking is, the availability of simple yet useful apps to have fun with.

Playbook is missing native IMs like gtalk, Yahoo, MSN, Skype, QQ. Is it that difficult for RIM to at least port a (open source) jabber client?

It would be great if the camera had auto focus (if it's a software thingy) and better capability in low light condition Before I bought playbook, I heard a lot about the 5MP and 3MP 1080P cameras. Well, guess what, they suck! Although they use a dedicated image sensor, they lack auto focus, and are completely useless under low light condition. Yesterday my friend and I were comparing photos taken by iphone 4S and playbook at the same spot at the same time. while the iphone photo was bright, clear and without any glitch, I could hardly see the object in the photo taken by playbook. (and RIM went to compete with ipad2 for the same price with this camera! Dear RIM, haven't you observed most of the people going to the stores and trying camera feature right after they are done with touchscreen?!)

Who won't like more file type support for video and audio players in playbook! I like the built-in video and audio player in playbook. I just want more filetype support so that we don't need to get frustrated trying different third party players for different formats (yet with poor quality).

The playbook bluetooth should be a man! (well, not a man, but a real bluetooth) We, young people, use bluetooth for quick and easy file transfer here and there, now and then. If it doesn't talk to my friends' devices or phones while others get things done, I get ashemed and humiliated! Whatever reason you may have, fix it!

Finally, as the android apps are about to flooded in to app world, please please don't fill up the app world with crappy/creapy/sucky apps just to increase the numbers of total apps Still the app world looks (a little too) fresh (may be because it still has a little too less). However, just have a look at the android market. there are thousands of apps with same functionality but with different skins. Please believe me (as I am a loong time android user), users will love to have quality apps over huge number of crappy apps. Please don't flood the app world with apps which won't work properly and will create headache to find the right one. If I needed headache, I would buy an android tablet instead. After reading several hundreds of articles, posts and comments, I am under the impression that BB users love RIM for the quality. Please keep your heads up high. Please set a standard for the upcoming apps.

I wrote this long post (without any copy-paste) because I started liking playbook. I wish the best outcome from it. I wish RIM would listen to us and improve the quality and capability of the playbook to the highest level (rather than dropping dead after some time)

To fellow playbook users, please write more about the features we need, feature we want in our beloved playbooks. Please find a way to get RIM hear our shout. Lets make it happen! Cheers!!!

P.S. please forgive my grammatical, spelling and punctuation mistakes, if there any. Couldn't find a spell checker around...
    Last edited by morison20; 01-14-12 at 10:17 AM. Reason: some fellow users misunderstood the post. And the posts was looking a little silly as well... Thanks for your comments :)
    01-14-12 08:57 AM
    Hmmmmmmm. there is a lot of ME, ME, ME and I WANT, WANT, WANT in this post. It seems to me you are very young. perhaps you could go back to your android devices with all the (free) apps, better cams and blah blah blah.

BTW, PB was never meant to compete with Ipad 2 and its cameras, it competed with Ipad 1 which had NO cameras. I'm not sure that you are as well researched as you would have us believe!
    01-14-12 09:15 AM
    I find the cameras to be very good. HD video recording is excellent in good light.

Camera software will be improved with the OS2 upgrade and I'm hoping the upgrade will give us the ability to take focused close-up shots. I use my 9800 camera for close-up shots - uploading to the playbook.

It is a headache, searching through large catalogs to find an app (Ex. iTunes, or any other large catalog) and that's why I hope the playbook gives us strong core native functionality (Ex. file management, picture/video taking/editing, browser, PIM, etc...). I don't want an 'app for that'. I like having apps supporting a strong core
    axllebeer, kbz1960 and mikeplus1 like this.
    01-14-12 09:18 AM
    Easy there Scrapegoat, the OP did state that they were young and new to the PlayBook. It is obvious that some time and research went into this post. Most of what they said is correct and they make some good points about apps, especially for someone probably unfamiliar with how apps have to be approved to be in BB AppWorld these days. I think that we (well at least most of us) would like to see some improvements in OS2.x in one form or another. I also find the camera to be sufficient for my casual picture taking needs, especially the HD video recording.

Welcome to CrackBerry morison20 and keep up the faith, RIM will come through for us.
    blue-b, LimeTripBlog and morison20 like this.
    01-14-12 09:34 AM
    To the OP, if you did as much research as you claim......why did you purchase the PlayBook if it didn't satisfy your needs??? Take it back and get something you can be satisfied with......NOT A HARD PROBLEM
    01-14-12 09:40 AM
    Also to the OP, there is a free Compass app and Easy LAT/LON navigation app in BB AppWorld as well as some really cheap (1.99-4.99) GPS apps.
    01-14-12 09:51 AM
    Easy there Scrapegoat, the OP did state that they were young and new to the PlayBook. It is obvious that some time and research went into this post. Most of what they said is correct and they make some good points about apps
    Agreed, perhaps I did over react a little, but this is so typical of the "spoilt and ignorant consumer" to make constant demands and expect everything for free.

To the OP, "I would like" is a much more acceptable form of "I want". You might like to consider refining your writing style a little

Good luck with your PB.
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 01-14-12 at 10:05 AM.
    Just Me and mikeplus1 like this.
    01-14-12 10:02 AM
    no tablet/smartphone will ever replace a point and shoot camera for a lot of years so i doubt that youd get what your looking for picture wise in a tablet.
    it is very nice for chatting its fast but auto focus and all that imaging stabilizing isnt going to get there today even if some apps tries to immitate it in other hardware.
    Just Me and mikeplus1 like this.
    01-14-12 10:07 AM
    Hmmmmmmm. there is a lot of ME, ME, ME and I WANT, WANT, WANT in this post. It seems to me you are very young. perhaps you could go back to your android devices with all the (free) apps, better cams and blah blah blah.

BTW, PB was never meant to compete with Ipad 2 and its cameras, it competed with Ipad 1 which had NO cameras. I'm not sure that you are as well researched as you would have us believe!
    Looks like someone has got me wrong!

It may not have well expressed, and may be it will be misunderstood by some, but "Lot of ME, ME, ME and I WANT, WANT, WANT in this post", to show a user's eagerness for more features.

I am not a fanboy of any particular brand. I bought playbook because I liked it more than other tablets. I personally consider a tablet for 500$ or more as waste of money. So, I never go for ipad or expensive android tablets. Among 200$-350$ android tablets don't provide the quality (and not to mention the weight of those devices!). Further more, I've read a lot about the multitasking capability of the QNX (as it truly is amazing). And above all, I am very satisfied with the playbook so far!

I took my time to write this post not to playbook, but to figure out shortcomings from a migrated user's point of view. May be some people talk with the intention of insult or disgust which I had none.

But, you are right about my use of "I want, I want". Yes, it sounds a little childish, isn't it? I will take care of it in my next posts!
    01-14-12 10:10 AM
    I wrote this long post (without any copy-paste) because I started liking playbook. I wish the best outcome from it. I wish RIM would listen to us and improve the quality and capability of the playbook to the highest level (rather than dropping dead after some time)

To fellow playbook users, please write more about the features we need, feature we want in our beloved playbooks. Please find a way to get RIM hear our shout. Lets make it happen! Cheers!!!

P.S. please forgive my grammatical, spelling and punctuation mistakes, if there any. Couldn't find a spell checker around...
    I read your long post and I can't find anything new in it. You seem to be happy with your Android device and your protestations that you are just trying to make your "beloved" PlayBook better fall a little flat.

And no, I am not ready to accept your plea for forgiveness for punctuation mistakes. A spell checker can't help in this area and besides, the "rolleyes" thing makes me suspect that your purpose in writing this long post is not what you would have us believe.

PS I may be wrong about my hasty assessment about your motives. I have been known to be wrong in the past and I have no doubt that I will make mistakes in the future. So like you. I will ask you to forgive me if I have jumped to an incorrect conclusion. In that case I should have simply welcomed you to the forum and invited you to look around a bit to find answers to your many questions and concerns. This is a good place to start:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    01-14-12 10:10 AM
    no tablet/smartphone will ever replace a point and shoot camera for a lot of years so i doubt that youd get what your looking for picture wise in a tablet.
    it is very nice for chatting its fast but auto focus and all that imaging stabilizing isnt going to get there today even if some apps tries to immitate it in other hardware.
    Very true indeed. However I don't know why, the photos taken by iphone/ipad cameras look different (and rich) than photos taken by many tablet/smartphones. And apple is not known to use some special hardware for camera. So, I believe the difference is in software and thus quality can be improved. Good thing about the playbook is it has dedicated image processor for camera. So, one would expect better quality if not stunning...
    01-14-12 10:24 AM
    Something I don't understand is people wanting their tablet to also be their camera.

To me the playbook camera, or any other table camera, is a convenience thing if you don't happen to have an actual camera on you and you want to catch something. Or you want to capture your screen. Or video chat.

If I want good pictures, I will use my 14mp camera with flash, not a 5 mp without one.

A tablet is not there to replace all digital items.

The business applications are the most important to the playbook user. That is who it was designed for. Documents on the go, bridging to your phone, etc. It wasn't designed to be an entertainment machine. That was just the added bonus.

And always about the android apps. This too I don't understand. If this is what a prospective tablet user wants the most, then they should certainly buy an android tablet.

Be like the old VHS days. You loved the selection of the vhs tapes, but bought a Betamax cause the quality was better and then wanted to know why you couldn't play the vhs tapes on it.

No tablet is going to be all things to all people. You do your research, decide which elements are the most important and make your decision.

I love my playbook, but its not my camera. That isn't why I bought it, it was just an added bonus that played a small part in the overall decision to purchase. I wanted to watch movies and tv. I have tons of avi videos, so for me it plays what I need. I wanted a good ereader, and with the Book Ereader app I have that. I wanted a general GPS that I could use travelling to be sure I knew where I was going and I wouldn't have to keep printing out maps. Got that and more.

It works perfectly for my needs and I look forward to the bonus of OS2 next month.
    01-14-12 10:25 AM
    "Before I bought playbook, I heard a lot about the 5MP and 3MP 1080P cameras. Well, guess what, they suck! Although they use a dedicated image sensor, they lack auto focus, and are completely useless under low light condition. Yesterday my friend and I were comparing photos taken by iphone 4S and playbook at the same spot at the same time. while the iphone photo was bright, clear and without any glitch, I could hardly see the object in the photo taken by playbook. (and RIM went to compete with ipad2 for the same price with this camera! " I have said this so many times in this forum. Although I agree the pb camera is not the best in low light, it absolutely murders the i pad in comparison, as the i pad does not even HAVE a camera....
    Last edited by Tank1978; 01-14-12 at 01:15 PM.
    01-14-12 10:41 AM
    of course the ipad is going to have software developement 5 years in advance they've been trying to get into the market with their ipod touch and its basically the same software. im hoping as well it will have better functionality but i wouldnt expect miracles as its just a tablet not a transformer. playbook is a new product and its working better than the ipod touch from the get go so i wouldnt expect miracles but i can expect big things from qnx software devs.
    crappy sucky apps to who. its all a matter of opinion. i love to annoy my spouse with the nyan cat but its not for everybody! and she started it :P
    morison20 likes this.
    01-14-12 10:50 AM
    of course the ipad is going to have software developement 5 years in advance they've been trying to get into the market with their ipod touch and its basically the same software. im hoping as well it will have better functionality but i wouldnt expect miracles as its just a tablet not a laptop. playbook is a new product and its working better than the ipod touch from the get go so i expect big things from qnx software devs.
    crappy sucky apps to who. its all a matter of opinion. i love to annoy my spouse with the nyan cat but its not for everybody! and she started it :P
    crackd11 likes this.
    01-14-12 10:53 AM
    I heard an article on NPR about how smartphone cameras were getting so good, that with his new iphone, He thinks camera manufacturers are doomed. I think phone cameras are getting better, but not even close to a $150 Canon or similar. I could not believe they aired that on NPR, or any station.
    01-14-12 10:55 AM
    U compared the camera to an iphone 4s. Great camera. Ipad camera would be a better comparison.
    kbz1960 and anon(4018671) like this.
    01-14-12 11:13 AM
    As far as I know, tablet cameras are no better than smartphone cameras. Certainly not as good as a dedicated camera, even a point-and-shoot.
    01-14-12 11:49 AM
    Very true indeed. However I don't know why, the photos taken by iphone/ipad cameras look different (and rich) than photos taken by many tablet/smartphones. And apple is not known to use some special hardware for camera. So, I believe the difference is in software and thus quality can be improved. Good thing about the playbook is it has dedicated image processor for camera. So, one would expect better quality if not stunning...
    "Megapixel, Shmegapixel" - Steve Jobs.

Camera quality on digital devices are about the lenses and aperture. My HTC phone has an 8mp camera but the pics are just average because the lense is just average.

These MP numbers are used as a selling tool. Don't be fooled by them.
    01-14-12 12:05 PM
    I'll compare my Leica Digilux 3, 7.5 MP with the Leica D 14-50 mm f2.8 lens against any digital camera, tablet, phone, and at twice the MP's....since it's not a fair fight, let's just all agree that I will win every time. It's not about the pixels, it's the lens folks.
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-14-12 12:11 PM
    I don't really understand why people have to react to Playbook criticism as if someone insulted them or their family personally. I think the OP's desires are well justified. After all, we all want the Playbook to be a better product that meets the needs of as many consumers as possible. I am with the OP on:
    - a fully functional IM app
    - more file format support
    - improvements to App World (currently it's searching, categorizing, and sorting capabilities are simply not enough)
    01-14-12 12:15 PM
    I strongly believe the playbook should have the absolute best camera possible + top quality native photo/video software...

If you want stunning pictures, get a great camera...but the playbook still needs a top-notch camera experience
    01-14-12 12:17 PM

Camera quality on digital devices are about the lenses and aperture. My HTC phone has an 8mp camera but the pics are just average because the lense is just average.

and sensor (size, speed) as well.
    01-14-12 12:18 PM

+1 ..... I couldn't agreed with you more
    01-14-12 12:20 PM
    and sensor (size, speed) as well.
    Among other things.

I don't own an iPhone 4s, but some of this pics I've seen from quite good. Richness or color and deep blacks.

It's about the lense.
    01-14-12 12:22 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD