This is very sad, considering that the Windows is not even designed for tablets

Windows tablets outperform PlayBooks | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    07-21-11 11:01 AM
    This is very sad, considering that the Windows is not even designed for tablets

Windows tablets outperform PlayBooks | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    How can a product have market share and sales when there is nothing to sell? Did I read this wrong, there are no tablets running Windows yet?
    07-21-11 11:04 AM
    No...not really

If you really think about it, they are comparing a desktop/laptop OS vs. a tablet OS. It would be like comparing a cat/dog, or a car/truck, ect.

The Playbook is more versatile when it comes to handling local files, uploading, downloading, and saving them....compared to Android, WebOS, iOS, ect...
    07-21-11 11:06 AM
    I'm not surprised Windows Tablets are selling relatively well. But there are no consumers buying them. This is only business customers that HAVE to be able to run certain Windows apps on a tablet on the go / in the field.
    07-21-11 11:14 AM
    07-21-11 11:17 AM
    Meh! Not an interesting post.
    07-21-11 11:31 AM
    Windows has been running on Tablets for a very long time. In fact it is called XP Tablet edition.

Tablet PC Products, Services and Mobile Computing Solutions
    Tablet PC, Ultra-Mobile PC (UMPC) and Mobile Clinical Assistant (MCA) Systems, Peripherals and Accessories by TabletKiosk

Man it is like people think Apple invented the tablet.
    07-21-11 11:35 AM
    The viewsonic tablet have windows if I not wrong
    07-21-11 11:53 AM
    "Tablets using Microsoft Corp software saw stronger sales than the high-profile PlayBook from BlackBerry maker Research In Motion in the second quarter, according to Strategy Analytics.

Even though Microsoft has yet to launch a version of its Windows software designed specifically for tablet computers it still picked up a 4.6 percent share of the market in the second quarter compared with a 3.3 percent share for Playbook, which is based on RIM’s QNX software."

Does this make any sense? Microsoft has yet to launch it, but it is outselling playbook. Wow I better sell my playbook and get a non-existent windows tab right away! Typical BS from Reuters.
    07-21-11 12:53 PM
    Does this make any sense? Microsoft has yet to launch it, but it is outselling playbook.
    *facepalm*

Windows XP, Vista, and now Windows 7 all have tablet components/features in the OS. Therefore, when you install one of these systems on a tablet (such as the ASUS EP121 that I have), the OS enables the tablet specific features. In other words, Windows tablets exist now. They are selling now. They are selling well enough to be selling better than the PlayBook. Heck, Windows tablets have been around for a long time, and long before Apple introduced the iPad.

What they are saying is that there is no Windows OS specifically for tablets. Think Windows 8. That OS will have an actual interface (versus just some extra features like Windows does now) for tablets that includes recognition for bezel gestures, large touch input icons, etc. much like the current Windows phones.

It's really not that difficult to follow along if you try.
    07-21-11 01:01 PM
    I'd love a proper tablet edition of Windows, but the Windows 8 previews look scary awful.
    07-21-11 01:05 PM
    I'm not a big fan of the purple-ish interface either, if that's what you are referring to. Plus, I'm still up in the air about the Metro concept. More details for those interested:

Microsoft: First Official Pictures Of Windows 8 For Tablets Actually Look Pretty Good
    07-21-11 01:46 PM
    All the "Tiles" stuff.. all looks too disjointed to me.

It's like the concept of "cloud storage". I don't like the idea of my files simply floating around on a cloud somewhere, I want to know specifically the their directory location. That's partly why I don't like the Libraries feature in Windows 7 - it's all too virtual for me. I can't stand having several different folders monitored under one virtual "Pictures" library for example.

Same thing with the tile concept behind Windows 8 - I don't want hocus pocus magic at the front end.

At least it is still Windows behind it all.

In hindsight, I should have bout the HP Slate 500. Proper pen support and no wondering if apps like Adobe reader will ever have bookmark support.
    07-21-11 02:05 PM
    I had considered the HP 500 over the EP121, but as I recall, it's difficult to come by.
    07-21-11 03:02 PM
    I don't think the whole 'Windows' tablet is much of a discussion.
    As far as I understand from the CB posts, Microsoft is supporting RIM on the PB by having apps like BING installed. There is also discussion that some form of MS Office will also be available. Judging from past sales performance of MS tablets, I doubt there will be much competition to RIM. MS trying to load a stripped down Windows OS onto a tablet is a bear
    Last edited by mandony; 07-21-11 at 03:11 PM.
    Shake likes this.
    07-21-11 03:09 PM
    *facepalm*

Windows XP, Vista, and now Windows 7 all have tablet components/features in the OS. Therefore, when you install one of these systems on a tablet (such as the ASUS EP121 that I have), the OS enables the tablet specific features. In other words, Windows tablets exist now. They are selling now. They are selling well enough to be selling better than the PlayBook. Heck, Windows tablets have been around for a long time, and long before Apple introduced the iPad.

What they are saying is that there is no Windows OS specifically for tablets. Think Windows 8. That OS will have an actual interface (versus just some extra features like Windows does now) for tablets that includes recognition for bezel gestures, large touch input icons, etc. much like the current Windows phones.

Where have I head this before? I am glad I am not the only one seeing this.

Don't get me wrong I love my PB and the price point compared to the Windows tablet I want but I think I need to make this picture my avatar.

AND the Playbook and the Windows Machines and the iPads are all different animals.

Playbook is a great form factor that can use apps but doesn't need to.
    iPads need apps.

MS Tablets are actually computers. You just can't compare the 2.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 07-21-11 at 05:26 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-21-11 05:18 PM
    I don't think the whole 'Windows' tablet is much of a discussion.
    As far as I understand from the CB posts, Microsoft is supporting RIM on the PB by having apps like BING installed. There is also discussion that some form of MS Office will also be available. Judging from past sales performance of MS tablets, I doubt there will be much competition to RIM. MS trying to load a stripped down Windows OS onto a tablet is a bear
    They are not stripped down versions. I think you are looking at MS Tablets form an iPad frame of mind and not a PC frame of mind.

The only thing that my Tablet PC leaves much to be desired is the battery life. But I bought it almost 3 years ago so technologies change.
    07-21-11 05:29 PM
    One thing I love about Playbook is freedom from Microsoft - don't make me go back....

07-21-11 05:46 PM
    How can a product have market share and sales when there is nothing to sell? Did I read this wrong, there are no tablets running Windows yet?
    Sure there are, here's just one:

ARCHOS

Once MS gets Win8 out there these will fly.
    07-21-11 06:35 PM
    What I don't get is way back when on my Journada 728 or Siemens SimPad the ms office suite was light years ahead of the trash given in the docs to go we have on the PB. Can someone explain this to me?
    07-21-11 07:06 PM
    docs to go/ dataviz is owned by rim hence its native on all rim products.
    better go MS office instead, not available in app world.
    07-21-11 07:17 PM
    I agree. I have Office 2010 Professional. The full genuine Office Suite leaves DocsToGo, OpenOffice, and all the other pretenders in the dust.
    07-21-11 07:22 PM
    RIM owns dataviz?

So why does dataviz seem to have better products for all the other platforms? Why no dataviz PDF reader for the PlayBook?
    07-21-11 10:02 PM
    Good question, and only RIM could answer that.
    07-22-11 06:01 AM
    *facepalm*

You mean a multi-platform tablet released months prior to the playbook has sold more than it!?!?
    07-22-11 06:33 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD