Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Windows Network Browser Master

Hi Folks,

Since I updated my playbook to OS 2.0.1, I've started seeing Event ID 8003 errors in my system event log on my Windows Home Server, and I can no longer browse my workgroups. It seems that the Playbook is forcing itself to become the network master browser. Picture of the error attached.

Has anyone else seen this or know how to fix it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows Network Browser Master-event-8003.jpg  
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by zavar View Post
    Hi Folks,

Since I updated my playbook to OS 2.0.1, I've started seeing Event ID 8003 errors in my system event log on my Windows Home Server, and I can no longer browse my workgroups. It seems that the Playbook is forcing itself to become the network master browser. Picture of the error attached.

You should be able to force the server to remain as the browser master. Which version of Windows Home Server are you running?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I'm running Windows Home Server v1 (basically Server 2003). I've editted the registry to set IsDomainMaster to True and MaintainServerList to Yes. Still doesn't seem to be working.

After the Event ID 8003 errors, I also get a NetBT errors, Event ID 4321. Error's definitely seem to be related/caused by the Playbook. Error text below:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NetBT
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4321
    Date: 4/19/2012
    Time: 2:00:24 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: DIZONE
    Description:
    The name "ZION :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.99.20. The machine with the IP address 192.168.99.111 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I've been doing a pile of reading on this, seems to be related to the samba config on the playbook... wish I was actually able to view the .conf file to confirm. For the moment, I've changed the workgroup on the playbook and it seems to have resolved the problem... need some more time to see if the issue comes back.
    Thanked by:
    ianrangkuti (04-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Keep us updated. I haven't seen any of this issue on our network at work.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Since I changed the work group on the playbook the issue hasn't returned.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Same here

I have this exact same problem... I actually figured it out via the IP of the Playbook..and the fact that the problem didn't exist in the event viewer during the times when the Playbook wasn't in the house.

Any real solution yet ? - other than changing the workgroup on the Playbook ?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi Folks,

Wow, I scratching my head for days wondering what happen to my network. Just installed Win7 on 2 PC, where others is iMac, Samba based media player streamming, XP and Playbook.

All except Win7 shows all terminal and can connect to each others. Win 7 only shows other Win7 PC, but can connect via previously made network pc shortcuts with no problem. New wifi pc/terminal will not be shown except creating shortcut manually, or restart routers, and new PC will shown for several minutes.

I never ever thought Playbook is the problem before reading this forum. Always search Win 7 Network related problem forum, my mistake until today.

Thank You for the enlightenment.......
    CrackBerry User

Same problem here, spent 2 days trying to work out why my MSHOME network was not working properley, I had sussed the master browsers was disappearing but its my daughters playbook & with 15 or so IP.s & MAC on my system I did see a link. Also when the PB was off as it was most of the time there was no sign of it but it was enough to screw the whole network that would not easily recover, even with numerous router resets & stuff.

I too have changed the work group & its OK but I do wonder if this will take away some functionality. I was thinking of buying iTunes Sync and wonder if this might nor work if the server PC is on a different workgroup to the PlayBook, rather suspect is would cause problems.

Crazy that the Playbook could have such a dramatic, damaging effect to a whole network!!!

Any ideas how we might be able to keep on same workgroup.

Not much else on the www about this & little surprised.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

There was a Samba security vulnerability surfaced a few weeks ago.

I don't think that it has been patched in Playbook 2.0.1 yet (RIM has not issued a security bulletin). So whatever Samba problem you people are having --- is probably RIM disabling something in their yet to be patched Samba.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

I haven't been able to find a fix beyond changing the workgroup.

I don't think this is related to a Samba security issue, as the Playbook was fine on OS 2.0.0. I believe that the samba configuration was changed in 2.0.1, and improperly set the OS Level to something higher than normal PCs, so when an election happens or is forced for a master computer browser, the Playbook will always win.

I believe some NAS's have been known to cause this issue too. It's a one line fix in the samba or smb .conf file to set the appropriate OS level, we just don't have access to that file so it's something RIM will need to change.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

There are 2 different Samba security vulnerabilities --- one was patched in 2.0.0.

KB29565-BSRT-2012-001 Vulnerability in Samba service impacts BlackBerry PlayBook tablet file sharing

I am talking about the new Samba security vulnerability that surfaced 2 weeks ago --- which hasn't been patched yet on the Playbook (a guess because RIM hasn't released a security bulletin for this vulnerability yet).

Samba security patch fixes critical remote code execution hole
    Last edited by samab; 04-27-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This needs to be fixed yesterday.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Sorry to revive this old thread... Does anyone know if this has been fixed in the 2.1 betas that folks have been testing?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Angry

Sorry to revive this old thread... Does anyone know if this has been fixed in the 2.1 betas that folks have been testing?
    It still exists in beta 2.1.0.840. And while this is an old thread that is also how old the bloody problem is!

I hope the RIM programmers/designers of the next Playbook OS update, whether 2.0.x or 2.1 or 10.x, will exercise enough foresight to not allow the PB to demand the role as Master Browser in a network. This design deficiency was pointed out sometime ago and suggested that the PB be placed in another network. I've tried this in a small mixed wired and wireless network by setting the PB to only work in a guest network at 5G only, seperate SSID and WPA2 AES passkey.

While this heads off the Master Browser problem, it also cuts off communication to the rest of the network shares including those with some print servers which is very inconvenient.

I'm thrilled.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Re: Windows Network Browser Master

I had a lot of other problems with my Router. I finally found that setting the WPA Mode to Auto (WPA or WPA2) and the Ciper Type to (TKIP and AES) temporary solved my problem. This lasted a week and the problem reoccurred. I chanced upon the event log and here are my findings:

The BB Playbook thinks it is the master browser. One of the desktops in the house thinks it is the master browser too. The desktop is running windows XP. The system event log shows 2 errors.

1. The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PLAYBOOK-xxxxx that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_xxxxx. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced
    2.The name "{WORKGROUP_NAME}" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address {IP Address of the desktop}. The machine with the IP address {IP Address of the Playbook} did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

What results is that my entire network gets locked.
    The router throws an error: System Log: PPPoE timed out waiting for connection. Connection attempt failed.

This problem has been driving me crazy. One of the recommended solutions was to turn off the Service: Computer Browser on the desktop. The problem is that the BB Playbook is not always on. So for me it is not an ideal solution. I have 2 desktops, 2 Laptops, 2IPhones, a second Router and a media player in addition to the playbook.
    How to Fix Master Browser (MRxSmb) Event ID 8003 errors - HighTechDad
    another computer believes that it is the master browser Event ID 8003
    CrackBerry User

I too have been running into this with a twist. I have twenty devices in the house with two different Windows home servers. WHS V1 on one and WHS-2011 on the the other. When you turn on the blackberry it makes itself and the WHSv1 server invisible on the network. You can still access the WHS by \\WHS-Name or ip.

All the other device see each other and everyone except the WHSv1 and the Playbook.

If you check on the WHS-V1 it just puts itself and the playbook as visible.

Going into the playbook settings under , <Storage and Sharing> <Network Identification> and setting the workgroup to Playbook solved the problem as mention in this thread.

There must be a better solution to this.

The playbook is up to date on 2.1.0.1314

Anyone fixed this properly without changing the workgroup which is not really a fix just a work-around!
    Last edited by MikeInParadise; 01-25-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fix
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInParadise View Post
    I too have been running into this with a twist. I have twenty devices in the house with two different Windows home servers. WHS V1 on one and WHS-2011 on the the other. When you turn on the blackberry it makes itself and the WHSv1 server invisible on the network. You can still access the WHS by \\WHS-Name or ip.

All the other device see each other and everyone except the WHSv1 and the Playbook.

If you check on the WHS-V1 it just puts itself and the playbook as visible.

Going into the playbook settings under , <Storage and Sharing> <Network Identification> and setting the workgroup to Playbook solved the problem as mention in this thread.

There must be a better solution to this.

The playbook is up to date on 2.1.0.1314

Anyone fixed this properly without changing the workgroup which is not really a fix just a work-around!
    The proper way to fix this is to force an election on the Windows Server.
    In the registry of the unit you want to be the Master Browser:
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Paramate rs
    Type: REG_SZ
    Name: IsDomainMaster
    Value: True

Save/Reboot

WARNING. Edit registry values at your OWN RISK.

Other than that it's simple networking 101.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the suggestion: I appreciate your help.

When I changed this setting it seemed to work for about 10 minutes and then the playbook grabbed the master browser slot again.

Windows Network Browser Master-playbook-error-afterforcingtodoman.jpg
    Seems like the Samba share defaults are still forcing it to be the master browser. I started to read the samba documentation and there seem to be several things it can to to take over the master browser for the group. At some point I will do some more research on this....
    Code:
    # set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
    # browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
    local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
    # elections. The default value (20) should be reasonable
    ; os level = 1

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
    # allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
    # if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
    ; domain master = no

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
    # and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
    ; preferred master = no
    I have it out of the workgroup which only seems to effect visibility on the XP computers. The windows 7/8 computer see everything fine with two workgroups.

I tried changing workgroup name on the playbook back and forth between WORKGROUP and PLAYBOOK, Set to WORKGROUP playbook took over the master browser everytime.
    Left as PLAYBOOK the other network computers are all accessible.

Windows Network Browser Master-playbook-error-afterforcingtodoman2.jpg

Here are some of the detail errors:
    Changed the Registry value as suggested: afer 10 minute or so of turning on the playbook:
    Code:
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	MRxSmb
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	8003
    Date:		1/25/2013
    Time:		1:24:41 PM
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	HOMER
    Description:
    The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PLAYBOOK-0546 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{9B872549-9974-. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00   ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0   ....C..
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    Code:
    Event Source:	NetBT
    Event ID:	4321
    Time:		1:29:39 PM
    Description:
    The name "WORKGROUP      :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.2.2. The machine with the IP address 192.168.2.16 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 56 00   ......V.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 e1 10 00 c0   ......
    0010: 01 01 00 00 01 00 00 c0   .......
    Turned off the Playbook - Getting this error
    Code:
    Event Source:	BROWSER
    Event ID:	8020
    Time:		1:31:20 PM
    Description:
    The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser.  The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is unknown.

Data:
    0000: 34 00 00 00               4...
    After serveral minutues the server would show the other computers in the workgroup

WHen the Playbook was turned back on:
    Code:
    Event Type:	Warning
    Event Source:	MRxSmb
    Event ID:	3019
    Time:		1:51:23 PM
    Description:
    The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00   ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80   ......?
    0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0   ....?..
    And then back to:
    Code:
    Event Source:	NetBT
    Event ID:	4321
    Time:		1:53:43 PM
    Description:
    The name "WORKGROUP      :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.2.2. The machine with the IP address 192.168.2.16 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 56 00   ......V.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 e1 10 00 c0   ......
    0010: 01 01 00 00 01 00 00 c0   .......
    0018: 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    CrackBerry Addict

Try using any workgroup name other than the default "WORKGROUP" in your network. That's generally the first thing you do building a new network.
    Also when you reboot the server intended to be the Master Browser the Playbook or computer with the incorrect Master Browser config must be powered off.
    Last edited by mkelley65; 01-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

I bounced around trying to find a solution to this, as noted earlier in this thread. Changing the workgroup on the playbook to something other than what is being used on the network definitely works. I really wanted to be able to have the playbook in the same workgroup so that it could be browsed from the other computers.

I had previously tried changing the registry as mentioned above to force an election, however this still didn't resolve the issue as the playbook would still win. The issue really seems to be related to the Samba configuration on the playbook and it being assigned too high of an OS level.

In my case, I have a server (WHS v1) on the network which is running all the time. Enabling WINS on the server and setting the WINS IP in my router configuration to the server resolved the issue for me, but it's definitely not the ideal solution.
    Last edited by zavar; 01-25-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I posted in this thread back in May, a blast from the past lol. I finally gave up and just turn off wifi on both PB's when not in use. Changing WORKGROUP name does nothing as Mike stated in his post #19. It is only a problem now if I forget to turn off wifi on the playbooks. When that happens rebooting router or the 1 Win7 desktop that I mostly stream from works. When Win7 is off and I stream from an XP there is no problem, PB's wifi can stay on. If I remember correctly I could not force master browser in Win7 DIR as a Key was missing and I gave up. Pretty sad that a device that can't (back in May of last year) stream anything takes over as Master Browser on your LAN " EPIC FAIL ". Rim doesn't care it seems and I could never understand why this thread died other than only a few having this problem. Hopefully if we get BB10 on "our" PB's it will fix this and a few other problems USB OTG for 1. All in all still happy with PB. TL;DR Rim fix this/Win7 Lan sucks
    CrackBerry Addict

Well using the methods I listed both my PlayBooks play well within my network. You have to remember Master Browser is a function of sub netting on a routed TCP/IP network. Each work group will elect a Master Browser and if you are using ADS the PDC will hold the Master Browser. These issues are a result of a poorly configured network. I don't see the Playbook as the problem. This is very simple to troubleshoot and fix.
    Keep in mind Windows Home Desktop versions lack key networking components so it's hit or miss with them. Best to use Pro or Ultimate.

If you are missing these Registry Keys in Windows 7 you have bigger issues:

Not Master Browser
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\ISDomainMaster = False
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList = Auto

Is Master Browser
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\ISDomainMaster = True
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList = Yes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305

A good practice is to power down the entire network after editing (switches, hubs, routers included) and make sure to bring the Master Browser up first.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Not in win7 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\ISDomainMaster
    Is in win7 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList
    Setting the second one to =Yes makes this machine MB when PB wifi is turned off. Turn PB wifi on and PB is now MB.
    As Zavar stated this seems to be the problem "The issue really seems to be related to the Samba configuration on the playbook and it being assigned too high of an OS level."
    I have 11 devices connected to LAN and have had a LAN since 2000. Nothing has ever acted like the PB. Rim has to fix this we can't as far as I can see.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by nnomad View Post
    Not in win7 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\ISDomainMaster
    Is in win7 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList
    Setting the second one to =Yes makes this machine MB when PB wifi is turned off. Turn PB wifi on and PB is now MB.
    As Zavar stated this seems to be the problem "The issue really seems to be related to the Samba configuration on the playbook and it being assigned too high of an OS level."
    I have 11 devices connected to LAN and have had a LAN since 2000. Nothing has ever acted like the PB. Rim has to fix this we can't as far as I can see.
    The steps I posted worked on my corporate LAN/WAN and my two personal subnets. If you are not going to troubleshoot using the steps I provided my energy is wasted. Good luck.
    Thanked by 2:
    jkpirie (04-08-2014),  nnomad (01-27-2013) 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast