Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lendo
  • 1 Post By masterscarhead1
  • 1 Post By Angus_CB
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Windows 8 and WiFi with Playbook

My old Win7 Laptop - 7 yrs old - is dying on me so I sprang for a new Win 8 HP laptop.

It connects to the router with no problem but while my dying Win7 laptop allows me to configure the Playbook to the computer, there does not seem to be a way to do this with Win8. On the old Laptop, I had a home group but on this one, I do not and do not expect to have one, unless it is necessary.

The Router is a Linksys WRT150N and has worked flawlessly with my old computer; and so far as e-mail and internet access, no problems at all. Is there a solution out there?

johnreid

Not sure if this will help, but I hope it does.

Networking: How to Map Network Drive in Windows 8
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    Just Me likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

It works. Just figure out what ip your PB is on. And follow the post above
    Just Me likes this.

the IP can be found under settings/about/network it's listed under WiFi IPv4
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.2947 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,172 Global Posts

It's best to assign a static IP for your Playbook. That way your router isn't assigning a different IP every time you connect.
    You can do that within the WiFi settings for your home network on the Playbook.
    Nexus 4, 9800 (Torch), Playbook
    Just Me likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,793 Global Posts
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_CB View Post
    It's best to assign a static IP for your Playbook. That way your router isn't assigning a different IP every time you connect.
    You can do that within the WiFi settings for your home network on the Playbook.
    TIP: with a static IP you can also add your PlayBook to your hosts file, so you don't have to remember the IP address. Your hosts file is located here:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Here is some info about editing the hosts file on Windows 8:

http://www.howtogeek.com/122404/how-...8s-hosts-file/
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thank you all. I now have access to both Blackberry Playbooks - mine and that of my wife. One of the problems was that it took longer than expected for the recognition of the Playbook - I must have been too impatient!

Johnreid