View Poll Results: Will RIM release an update with BBM this Tuesday?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 33.65%
  • No

57 27.01%
  • RIM can't keep any date it will happen sometime in a few weeks.

83 39.34%
    im guessing you posted this message on your playbook while watching the hockey game, just like me!
    You know it! Go Canucks go! (I hate ot though)
    04-30-11 10:56 PM
    We will see $5.00 gas before BBM
    So soon right?
    Hup55 likes this.
    04-30-11 11:55 PM
    i am more excited for the 9900 to be officially announced, but would love BBM on my playbook
    05-01-11 12:10 AM
    BBM is definitely not a selling factor for me. I do use it, but don't keep many people on it. I used to be all about it, but then I realized that I would talk to someone on BBM for like a week, then forget about them, and eventually I'd delete them off or they'd delete me off.

I'd much rather have the native email, a jabber client and a SSH client.
    05-01-11 12:19 AM
    dont think they will announce it. i just think we will get an update in the next few weeks and bbm will be on it.

doubt rim wants to comitte to a date
    05-01-11 12:47 AM
    Just curious, why would anyone want BBM on a Playbook, other than for the fact that it is there?

If you want to BBM, it's a million times faster to crank out a message on your BB than it would be to use the touchscreen keyboard.
    05-01-11 01:33 AM
    You want to return a device that is a luxury item because you have to wait a few weeks for it to perform optional things? I don't get that logic, you knew it was a 1.0 device, either you want what it does or you don't. You know BBM is coming so why return it to buy it again?

Also, I'm pretty sure SMS texting via PB is coming, from the conference call he hinted pretty heavily that something we wouldn't have thought was coming is...
    05-01-11 01:47 AM
    I have been a loyal BlackBerry user for several years, but I am sad to say I have lost all faith in RIM.

My PlayBook is going back on Monday (bought it on launch day with 14 day return window), and it will truly be a sad day for me. But I truly believe RIM has let all of its loyal customers down, and that they really do not have our interest at heart. They are not even coming out with anything official regarding all the shortcomings of the PlayBook.

Unfortunately "it is coming soon" does not cut it for me, and after so many years, it may be time for me to try something new.

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just saying how I, a loyal BlackBerry user am feeling.
    Buy a NookColor and load up CM7. Its cheap and its a lot of fun

In all seriousness, why is everyone so jazzed about BBM? Frankly, I have always uninstalled it off my BBerries. I have SMS and email. What is the big deal about it? Thanks.
    Because its awesome if you know people who use it

I better buy some popcorn this weekend, theres gonna be some good DRAMA come Monday & Tuesday
    Agreed. I laughed when i read this
    05-01-11 01:52 AM
    In all seriousness, why is everyone so jazzed about BBM? Frankly, I have always uninstalled it off my BBerries. I have SMS and email. What is the big deal about it? Thanks.
    Huh? It's free, free internationally, free photo/video/file/calendar/location sharing, groups, voice notes, sent/delivered/read notifications etc etc it's just soooo much more then sms and mms combined

It's also very fast, I chat with friends thousands of miles away and messages are sent and received in a blink of and eye

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 03:46 AM
    No 160 character limit like sms, and is an IM unlike email (do you really want a whole conversation in your inbox?).
    05-01-11 04:18 AM
    ok I'll be the positive one here and say...yes!

Just a side note: I have been wrong in the past and hold no responsibility if I'm wrong this time too
    05-01-11 04:30 AM
    BlackBerry Messenger 6.0 (6.0.0.73) came out in Beta Zone the other day, and it does not work on Bridge yet. They have a survey that's due to be done by the 5th. This taken to into account, there will not be another version released to the public in time for the deadline. The best they can do it turn out another version of Bridge that reads the BBM. I personally do not see it.
    The odds are that the bbm that works with the bridge will be an update to the current live version rather than to bbm 6.0 that is presumably a longer term beta intended to be sure that new features in the version on os7 devices works fine with older hardware too.
    05-01-11 06:16 AM
    I don't use it a huge amount, but for a few friends based in other countries it is a cheaper and more convenient way to chat than sms.
    05-01-11 06:18 AM
    Just curious, why would anyone want BBM on a Playbook, other than for the fact that it is there?

If you want to BBM, it's a million times faster to crank out a message on your BB than it would be to use the touchscreen keyboard.
    I guess it is the convenience of being able to do it if you were already doing something else on your pb rather than having to put it down and swap to your bb.
    05-01-11 06:22 AM
    You want to return a device that is a luxury item because you have to wait a few weeks for it to perform optional things? I don't get that logic, you knew it was a 1.0 device, either you want what it does or you don't. You know BBM is coming so why return it to buy it again?
    I think it is one of those things where people feel the need to make a statement by doing something and indeed rim will get details of returns and reasons from their retail partners so it does have some benefit if they see trends.

Personally, I like what my playbook does so far, but it will need a kindle app before it could be my first choice device whenever I go out anywhere, but then again that still makes it closer to that than my ipad which is fine for hime use, but a bit too big and heavy to take everywhere.

Also, I'm pretty sure SMS texting via PB is coming, from the conference call he hinted pretty heavily that something we wouldn't have thought was coming is...
    While that and other bridge features are probably coming, it doesn't seem likely that we will see them in the next update, I think that the odds are that video chat on the playbook and bbm via bridge will be the main features in the next update.
    05-01-11 06:33 AM
    Most people know me lately as negative toward rim. Skeptical mostly.

First let me tell you what official rim responses will be should bbm not make it to the pb in two weeks... They said a few weeks, not two weeks. So my advice is to not build up expectation and disappoint yourselves.

I do not think we will get it by tuesday, i do not think Lazaridis is going to say "abra cadabra! you have bbm, go update your OS!"

If he does mention bbm at all in conjunction with playbook, i go on record now as saying it will be along the lines of "coming soon" and "working on it now."

I have no crystal ball; i can be wrong. I wasnt about rim missing the march 31 release, i wasnt about the superbowl, i wasnt about mwc or that smxs-whatever nightclub event; and i'm not that smart and i dont have inside info. It rests entirely with the safe and justifiable assumption that rim likely will disappoint and be late on delivery, a reputation well established over the last couple of years.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 05-01-11 at 09:57 AM.
    05-01-11 09:47 AM
    Someone in the know at RIM. I live in Waterloo and know some reliable peeps there. Check for the update Tuesday is what I was told directly.
    05-01-11 04:59 PM
    I sure hope so.
    05-01-11 06:14 PM

If my phone is in it's holster why would I want to take it out to check when I am already on my PlayBook. Also, you can add SMS contacts that work through BBM, and my thought is that they would come though on the PlayBook as well.
    05-01-11 06:53 PM
    spoke to someone yesterday and they indicated a sw update will be out Tuesday and WILL indeed include BBM.
    05-01-11 07:28 PM
    spoke to someone yesterday and they indicated a sw update will be out Tuesday and WILL indeed include BBM.
    Source? Who told you?
    05-01-11 07:44 PM
    Someone in the know at RIM. I live in Waterloo and know some reliable peeps there. Check for the update Tuesday is what I was told directly.
    05-01-11 08:02 PM
    I'm wondering if one of the bigs early this week will be a skype app....perhaps the deal was they would delay BBM until after Skype got some love..Stranger things have happened in partnering deals.
    05-01-11 08:22 PM
    I'm wondering if one of the bigs early this week will be a skype app....perhaps the deal was they would delay BBM until after Skype got some love..Stranger things have happened in partnering deals.
    'Hope' was the the last to die.
    05-01-11 08:24 PM

BBM is an awesome chat if you know people who use it like another poster said.. but more than that it is the ability to see it on a larger screen. I am already spoiled by this larger screen and am already impatient about waiting on rim to catch it up to snuff.
    05-01-11 08:41 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD