Whats the chance there will he a Beta PB10 before the BB10 phone is released?
    10-10-12 11:26 PM
    There will be no chance at all. You're more or less using BB10 now, but only bits an pieces..
    10-10-12 11:39 PM
    Yes you can. You can load it on with dingleberry.
    10-10-12 11:45 PM
    ive read the dev alpha update for the pb is not worth loading on if you value your playbook
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-11-12 05:59 AM
    There will be no chance at all. You're more or less using BB10 now, but only bits an pieces..
    I agree, there's no reasons to have BB10 before the actual phone is on the market. BB10 is all about the new phones and I would assume the 4g PB. There's no good that can come from showcasing this on the old PB.
    10-11-12 10:08 AM
    The only full BB10 Beta I know if is going only available internally and given how tight lipped they're being, I doubt RIM will release it to anyone else.

I see this as a good thing to avoid leaks and allow RIM to keep full control over what is known by the media before they're ready to divulge it.
    10-11-12 10:14 AM
    It would be a good idea IMO, as it would help crush bugs before the phone release. The BB10 phone launch really has to go smoothly.
    10-11-12 02:23 PM
    The good news: RIM held long-running betas for both PB OS 2 and 2.1, so to me it would make sense that they'd have some kind of PB BB10 beta.

The bad news: both of these betas were 'feature-limited' to greater or lesser degrees. The OS 2 beta in particular left out many, many features of the final release. A BB10 beta on the Playbook would likely look a lot like the original Dev Alpha's OS.
    10-11-12 02:50 PM
    I think there is a pretty decent chance of a BB10 beta for the PlayBook. It wouldn't be soon, but maybe December or January. I would say that at the latest, it would come out around the same time as the phone is released.

I'd say that if it comes out, it would be December or January because BB10 for the PB and BB10 for the phone should be very similar and that it would help the hype of the phone and the tablets (WiFi PB is not dead and goes complimentary to with the more expensive 4G model in their ecosystem). If for some odd reason BB10 for the PB is very different than the phone (I'm doubtful of that), then I would think there will be a beta available through RIM about the time or shortly after the phone is released.

Thats my thoughts, nobody can say for 100% except for RIM (officially, not the "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy that works for RIM".)
    10-11-12 02:53 PM
    Everyone keeps getting excited about BB10. I am clueless about this. What would be different when using my playbook with BB10?
    10-11-12 03:22 PM
    Everyone keeps getting excited about BB10. I am clueless about this. What would be different when using my playbook with BB10?
    The headphone jack will be on the bottom
    10-11-12 07:36 PM
    Essentially I would imagine it to be very similar to the BB10 on the phone (maintaining one OS would be smarter than 2). Check out the main page of CrackBerry and scroll through the articles, there you will get a pretty good taste of BB10 (on the phone). The videos and photos will do much better justice for BB10 than my words.
    10-11-12 07:46 PM
    Just read this in another thread.

Can you blame them for giving up on PlayBook OS? BB10 is due to drop for the PlayBook next spring after BB10 handset launch, and according to @BlackBerryDev on Twitter, "BB10 builds for Playbook will be available in developer beta ahead of launch." https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...90288896561153

I have been wishing that they'd just ignore PlayBook OS and concentrate on BB10.
    BerryClever and aha like this.
    10-11-12 07:55 PM
    Just read this in another thread.
    It would be really nice to have BB10 on PB first, that way we can play around with it before we pull the trigger.

If RIM has no confidence to convince PB users, then they might as well give up already. Because PB users are the ones already spent money on a QNX product, passed the learning curve of BB gestures, experienced the fluid interfance and multi tasking, tried a less attractive touch keyboard, etc. etc. If RIM is not convinced they can get positive responses from PB user, what are the chances they can get any positive responses from any one?

On the other hand, if RIM believe BB10 on PB is going to be attractive, then there is no reason not to hire more than a million PB users to sing praises for them during Christmas season for free.
    10-11-12 08:59 PM
    I may be wrong but I think the issue is that BB10 is a different beast than we are using now and they are focusing on BB10 for the phones which will be slightly different than what will come to our pb's so they need to tweak it beyond what is being done for the phones. But I agree it would be great to get a working version to test out.
    10-11-12 09:05 PM
    I think in March /2012
    10-11-12 09:57 PM
    I may be wrong but I think the issue is that BB10 is a different beast than we are using now and they are focusing on BB10 for the phones which will be slightly different than what will come to our pb's so they need to tweak it beyond what is being done for the phones. But I agree it would be great to get a working version to test out.
    An OS should be implemented independently from hardware, but only the guys in RIM can acurately estimate the effort level to release BB10 for PB. So ultimately it's their decision to make.

@BlackBerryDev did mention a couple of days ago that the BB10 will be available on PB as beta a couple of days before launch. So they must have had PB as one of their build target already, that's why I think the effort left to put BB10 on PB is actually pretty low, and what prevents them to release a beta on PB may not be technical, but "conventional" marketing wisdom.

If it's because of "conventional" market wisdom, then they are making a conventional RIM mistake again. Yes, leaking a product that is so important to RIM before launch sounds like a risky thing to do. But, if it is feasible for R&D, then there is no reason not to do it except fear to unknown... and the unknown is not really unknown if you see through it. As I said in my last post, the leak will be a bad move if BB10 is bad, but if BB10 is bad, leak it or not is irrelevant now. On the other hand, if BB10 is good, then leaking it before holiday season would help to enhance the presence of BB10 during holiday season. Even the leak is not as polished or stable, it won't hurt RIM for two reasons:

1. tech media has got their hands on the dev alpha 2, they will understand PB beta's problem is not in dev alpha 2;
    2. PB users who are going to try out BB10 beta mostly likely have gone through OS 2 beta before and understand beta is not perfect.

The point is to put BB10 in PB users' hand in holiday season if it's feasible from R&D point of view.
    reschp likes this.
    10-11-12 10:00 PM
    I think in March /2012
    Since that was seven months ago, I think not
    10-11-12 10:48 PM