One feature almost everyone with a blackberry loves is auto on/off. does anyone know if RIM is planning on adding auto on/off to the playbook ever? would be a great feature that is already a staple for RIM.
    11-20-11 09:06 PM
    I'd guess that the existing Standby feature may be as much as you'd get. But anything is possible.
    11-20-11 11:05 PM
    Standby can be set to timeout - it's really all you need - I have turned mine off twice in the last 6 months. Uses little battery power in standby. Just press the battery icon and you have your options. To wake it from standby, simply swipe from bezel to bezel.

Never needs to be off unless you have a problem. That's the beauty of it - instant on no "booting"..
    Welcome to Crackberry, enjoy.
    11-20-11 11:26 PM
    One feature almost everyone with a blackberry loves is auto on/off. does anyone know if RIM is planning on adding auto on/off to the playbook ever? would be a great feature that is already a staple for RIM.
    People use the automatic on/off feature of the BlackBerry smartphone when they do not want the device active when sleeping, for example. There is no such need with the BlackBerry tablet unless a 3G/4G/LTE version is released.
    11-21-11 04:14 AM
    so leaving it on doesnt slow it down or hurt it? i turn my off mine religously every night and restart again in the morning.
    11-21-11 04:30 AM
    so leaving it on doesnt slow it down or hurt it? i turn my off mine religously every night and restart again in the morning.
    Well, hard to say ... I wonder that a boot will not be bad, say, once a week, but it's far from mandatory and sleep mode have very little power consumption (some had issues with it, but it seems background apps related).
    11-21-11 04:41 AM
    Absolutely no need for that right now.

It definitely doesn't "hurt" it. If anything, forcing the use of the physical power button every morning is more likely to wear it out.

It will use some slight bit of power, but on typical units the overnight drain on the battery should amount to a 2.5 or 3.0% drop assuming you leave it off the charger. Many just charge it overnight on standby.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    11-21-11 07:25 AM
    with wifi off and all the programs closed, mine drains 1% overnight (say from 11pm to 6am when I wake). I only turn it off when apps are malfunctioning, like sometimes an app wont start up. I love the instant on.
    11-21-11 09:19 AM
    Absolutely no need for that right now.

It definitely doesn't "hurt" it. If anything, forcing the use of the physical power button every morning is more likely to wear it out.

It will use some slight bit of power, but on typical units the overnight drain on the battery should amount to a 2.5 or 3.0% drop assuming you leave it off the charger. Many just charge it overnight on standby.
    I concur and peter knows what he is talking about, in general -
    credible source.

You may want to turn it off once in a while for a clean boot or superstition purposes..but for QNX that doesn't seem as necessary as it definitely is for Windows. One of the beauties of QNX!
    Harryl6134 and peter9477 like this.
    11-21-11 10:39 AM
    i wouldnt mind having the feature. i sometimes have pages not opening or the picture folder is being accessed it will auto close and not work. never any error messages but if one app or folder doesnt work/open then it seems 3-4 apps or folders wont work. anyone else having any issues?
    12-04-11 04:16 AM
    i wouldnt mind having the feature. i sometimes have pages not opening or the picture folder is being accessed it will auto close and not work. never any error messages but if one app or folder doesnt work/open then it seems 3-4 apps or folders wont work. anyone else having any issues?
    I haven't really noticed this. What OS are you using?
    12-04-11 06:51 AM
    i would really like this feature, not so much for saving battery overnight but in order to be able to play music or something and have it stop after like 30 or 60 min automatically...

i'll be hoping for this in 2.0
    01-09-12 10:00 AM
    I concur and peter knows what he is talking about, in general -
    credible source.

You may want to turn it off once in a while for a clean boot or superstition purposes..but for QNX that doesn't seem as necessary as it definitely is for Windows. One of the beauties of QNX!
    In the rare case that Peter does not know what he is talking about, he puts a question mark at the end of the sentence.

It would be nice if developers had an API so that an app could wake up the device to perform a scheduled task (e.g. checking the status of a website) and then put it back to sleep if there is nothing to report. This is related to a long thread on the subject of background services.
    01-09-12 01:15 PM
    well, I would like an app that "restarts" my pb at user-defined times. Seems my playbook runs better after a "restart".
    01-09-12 02:14 PM
    Well, hard to say ... I wonder that a boot will not be bad, say, once a week, but it's far from mandatory and sleep mode have very little power consumption (some had issues with it, but it seems background apps related).
    I have noticed several time when I decide to use the Bridge that my bridge icons are not displayed, only there titles. So I have to power cycle the playbook. I don't nedd it on stby when I sleep. My BlackBerry is off however from 10-5 the week days. I would love to see that feature on the Playbook.
    06-27-12 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD