I understand your frustration, but I still think it is misplaced. RIM fully supports the Bridge application when it is in a supported environment. When it is not, they cannot support it. AT&T is really the one who should be the target of your wrath in this case. I do think they should have worked together prior to launch, but that is ancient history now...

There are plenty of other things to be upset with RIM about, such as the various glaring holes that need to be updated in the native PB software, but in this case I think it really is AT&T...
    I am mad at AT&T also. I said already that I feel like the kid when his parents are fighting. I just want it to stop. It is not that RIM is the only one to blame but for me with this particular problem, RIM is the only one who can offer tech support - and it won't.
    06-03-11 02:28 PM
    They asked me for the PIN from my phone and they came back and told me exactly how it was provisioned. I expect that they can tell the carrier from this also because they told me everything else about how the phone was set up.
    yeah they can tell from that. Damn sorry maybe if you keep calling and don't offer it you can get a nice tech worker that will give a little help.

That is how i used to get free tech support when I had problems, I would just go straight into the issues I was having before they could even ask me some questions, kind of like a telemarketer. Typically the people that answer the phones only have answers that are to known problems in front of them, they actually can't troubleshoot anything. If your's is a known problem they will give you the answer just to shut you up.
    06-03-11 02:37 PM
    I haven't because I don't need AT&T's support on this issue. I need RIM's support. Am I not clear about what is going on or something?
    You are clearly not getting that AT&T is the root of the issue by not allowing RIM to officially support the Bridge for AT&T users. AT&T is having RIM block the Bridge from download. RIM would like to probably not **** off AT&T as they do a lot of other business with them so supporting something that AT&T has asked them not to could make AT&T have some retaliation against RIM. RIM can't afford to lose any more business in the US at this time. You are asking RIM for support on software your carrier is asking them to block and therefore not supported on your carrier. AT&T is a bunch of pricks. Ask AT&T to approve the Bridge and I bet you'll get the support from RIM. Or switch carriers and RIM will fully support you.
    06-03-11 02:49 PM
    Also look at this thread someone just posted read exactly like your problem

OS6, removal of browser identification option, and PB
    06-03-11 02:51 PM
    I am mad at AT&T also. I said already that I feel like the kid when his parents are fighting. I just want it to stop. It is not that RIM is the only one to blame but for me with this particular problem, RIM is the only one who can offer tech support - and it won't.
    rim won't, because rim can't. their contract with at&t won't allow them to.

you know, for a person with a nickname like LAW GUY MAN, you really don't seem to understand how contracts work.
    06-03-11 03:19 PM
    The truth is that if the issue is that my IT department has configured the internet to work over BIS and not BES, I would prefer to keep it that way. Who wants all of their internet traffic going through their company's server? Again, I might try this to rule it out, but I have only heard about this as a theory. No one has ever confirmed it. Not here and not from RIM.
    I can confirm the above. When MDS service is turned on, and intERnet traffic is routed through the BES server rather than BIS, Bridge Browser works. When turned off, Bridge Browser does NOT work on a BES activated phone.

I've had other Bridge issues where RIM has simply refused to provide support, but they have assured me that none of the issues are AT&T specific and others are experiencing the same issues, so updates should fix most of them. I actually solved my biggest issue recently (bridge breaking my wifi connection and power "app") from someone on this forum figuring it out himself - RIM wouldn't support me, but did say others were having the same problem.

As to the error 403 issue, the only solution where the BES admin won't turn on MDS (which many won't, including my company) is to have an option in the bridge browser option list to use BIS instead of BES for browser access. RIM needs to add this - imagine if BES activated phones couldn't access the internet with MDS turned off.
    06-03-11 03:19 PM
    RIM would like to probably not **** off AT&T as they do a lot of other business with them so supporting something that AT&T has asked them not to could make AT&T have some retaliation against RIM.
    AT&T already is retaliating against RIM by screwing up bridging in the first place.
    06-03-11 04:05 PM
    I don't mean to pile on lawguyman, but you seem to be being deliberately thick-headed in persisting in largely obsolving AT&T in this. You will recall a week or so ago when RIM briefly made available the Bridge set up files for AT&T customers, which drew attention and comment in the tech press, whereupon the files were taken down from RIM's site. I think it safe to assume that this was RIM "tweaking" AT&T to stop being the holdout and to get on board, and that it is further safe to assume the files were taken down at AT&T pointed insistance. You have talked to AT&T and you have talked to RIM, so you must know that there is an ongoing issue between the 2 companies. RIM is the one launching the new product, AT&T is the one withholding support for that new product.

For all of RIM's reputation for being slow-footed and stubborn, AT&T has its own agenda and timetable -- they're doing 4G the AT&T way, and oh, they're going to get around to figuring out how to price these tablets but until they do, we can all hang by our thumbs. For my part, if AT&T continues to be unable to work with RIM, despite a long and profitable association, than I will endeavor to move our business to another carrier before I allow AT&T to dictate the types of devices we may use.

Its a tough, complicated and competitive business on both ends. I know its not as easy as saying "settle it". But until you do, you still have immediate obligations to your customers. To my understanding, the reason RIM "refuses" to help jury-rig the Bridge for AT&T customers is not some ploy on RIM's part to light a fire under AT&T's customers to pressure the carrier into relenting. It is because AT&T has made clear to RIM that it has not approved the use of the Bridge and any effort by RIM to circumvent that, even if that effort is in the interests of AT&T's customers, will be viewed as hostile and actionable by AT&T. AT&T is a big carrier that has always moved a lot of RIM handsets. Instead of looking on that history as a framework for the future, AT&T is trying to leverage RIM through threats, into making some concession to AT&T that no other carrier is requiring.

I hope AT&T can scratch out a tiered pricing plan sooner than they plan to roll out their LTE stuff.
    06-03-11 04:11 PM
    I admit I have not read every post in this thread, but is the general consensus that AT&T WILL be attempting to charge for bridging, despite the fact that all it really does is allow the use of the phone browser on a larger screen (and not even that very well if you're on a BES)?

If this is the case I will have no choice but to return the PlayBook probably since I don't have a choice of carriers through my company and half the reason I bought it was for bridging when far in the field. I highly doubt I will convince my company to pay whatever idiotic fees AT&T attempts to extract.
    06-03-11 04:40 PM
    pAT&Thetic is the word that comes to my mind. This 10 year customer will be looking for another carrier when this contract expires.
    06-03-11 04:46 PM
    I can confirm the above. When MDS service is turned on, and intERnet traffic is routed through the BES server rather than BIS, Bridge Browser works. When turned off, Bridge Browser does NOT work on a BES activated phone.

I've had other Bridge issues where RIM has simply refused to provide support, but they have assured me that none of the issues are AT&T specific and others are experiencing the same issues, so updates should fix most of them. I actually solved my biggest issue recently (bridge breaking my wifi connection and power "app") from someone on this forum figuring it out himself - RIM wouldn't support me, but did say others were having the same problem.

As to the error 403 issue, the only solution where the BES admin won't turn on MDS (which many won't, including my company) is to have an option in the bridge browser option list to use BIS instead of BES for browser access. RIM needs to add this - imagine if BES activated phones couldn't access the internet with MDS turned off.
    There also appears to be an issue related to the OS6 removal of user-selectable browser identification.

On my 9700, with OS5, setting the browser to "internet browser" results in bypassing the BES for internet use, which translated to the PlayBook (as evidenced by lack of site blocks)

With OS6, I can no longer select how the browser is identified, however as long as I am not on corporate wifi, the browser on the phone will automatically use BIS when necessary it seems to avoid the site blocks. However, the same site pulled up in Bridge Browser will hit the block, indicating that for some reason it's forced to go through the BES even though the phone itself is not.

Very strange, and very frustrating, since I cannot revert to OS5 without dealing with the Bridge problem of the connection becoming irrevocably broken if I turn off BT on the phone or turn the phone off after a Bridge connection is made.
    06-03-11 04:52 PM
    I have OS 5 on my 9550 and regardless of what browser I choose I'm forced through the BES. If it weren't for the fact that I can't tether and get email on my phone at the same time I would be fine with only being able to access the intranet from the bridge browser.
    06-03-11 05:17 PM
    rim won't, because rim can't. their contract with at&t won't allow them to.

you know, for a person with a nickname like LAW GUY MAN, you really don't seem to understand how contracts work.
    How do you know what is in these contracts? Answer: You don't.

Neither do I. But, I would bet a good amount of money that the reason that RIM is not supporting Bridge or making Bridge available to AT&T customers has nothing to do with any contract and everything to do with trying to convince AT&T to sell Playbooks or carry some new model of Blackberry.

If you haven't noticed, no one but Sprint seems to have any interest lately.
    06-03-11 06:25 PM
    I don't mean to pile on lawguyman, but you seem to be being deliberately thick-headed in persisting in largely obsolving AT&T in this. You will recall a week or so ago when RIM briefly made available the Bridge set up files for AT&T customers, which drew attention and comment in the tech press, whereupon the files were taken down from RIM's site. I think it safe to assume that this was RIM "tweaking" AT&T to stop being the holdout and to get on board, and that it is further safe to assume the files were taken down at AT&T pointed insistance. You have talked to AT&T and you have talked to RIM, so you must know that there is an ongoing issue between the 2 companies. RIM is the one launching the new product, AT&T is the one withholding support for that new product.

For all of RIM's reputation for being slow-footed and stubborn, AT&T has its own agenda and timetable -- they're doing 4G the AT&T way, and oh, they're going to get around to figuring out how to price these tablets but until they do, we can all hang by our thumbs. For my part, if AT&T continues to be unable to work with RIM, despite a long and profitable association, than I will endeavor to move our business to another carrier before I allow AT&T to dictate the types of devices we may use.

Its a tough, complicated and competitive business on both ends. I know its not as easy as saying "settle it". But until you do, you still have immediate obligations to your customers. To my understanding, the reason RIM "refuses" to help jury-rig the Bridge for AT&T customers is not some ploy on RIM's part to light a fire under AT&T's customers to pressure the carrier into relenting. It is because AT&T has made clear to RIM that it has not approved the use of the Bridge and any effort by RIM to circumvent that, even if that effort is in the interests of AT&T's customers, will be viewed as hostile and actionable by AT&T. AT&T is a big carrier that has always moved a lot of RIM handsets. Instead of looking on that history as a framework for the future, AT&T is trying to leverage RIM through threats, into making some concession to AT&T that no other carrier is requiring.

I hope AT&T can scratch out a tiered pricing plan sooner than they plan to roll out their LTE stuff.
    I'm not absolving AT&T of anything. The problem that I happen to face is really not an AT&T issue. It has nothing to do with AT&T's network. It is a RIM issue. I can't expect AT&T to fix a RIM issue.

I don't think you are piling on.
    06-03-11 06:30 PM
    it's not because RIM doesn't stand behind their products, as you previously stated. RIM cannot help you do something your carrier has already prohibited you from doing.

i can all but guarantee you that is stated in the contract. i deal with contracts all day long. as i mentioned before, when an OEM such as Dell or HP creates a contract with the company i work for, it explicitly states that our support team cannot support their customers, and if we do, there are penalties associated.

the first time a RIM support person helps you get your Bridge functioning properly on your AT&T phone, AT&T will come after RIM.
    06-03-11 06:41 PM
    This thread has gotten way outta hand.

Look at it this way - at&t customers that installed the bridge app, its like were installing a leaked OS. Theres no where for us to complain about (although mine works fine). If you're having issues, uninstall it and wait for at&t to approve it. Its as simple as that.
    Last edited by psiclne; 06-03-11 at 07:43 PM.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    06-03-11 07:34 PM
    No matter what it comes down to and who says what.

AT&T is the ONLY carrier with this issue.

That alone should tell you the whole story.

Evil AT&T...The Darker Side of Cell

Tim
    06-03-11 08:54 PM
    No matter what it comes down to and who says what.

AT&T is the ONLY carrier with this issue.

That alone should tell you the whole story.

Evil AT&T...The Darker Side of Cell

Tim
    I would say AT&T was the only one not having an issue since they do not officially support the bridge app.

@lawguyman- Bottom line it is your IT Policy that is your problem so you need to get over it but I am not even sure why I am bothering to comment since you have failed to listen to everybody else.
    06-04-11 11:25 AM
    What do you think? RIM and AT&T have been pretty much silent about whatever the issues are between them. This dispute is really harming AT&T users like myself who have bridge issues but RIM refuses to provide any support for them.

It seems like RIM has issues in general with carriers. Sprint is the only one that seems willing to sell the Playbook. What is going on here?

Can Playbook really succeed if RIM won't support bridging on AT&T phones?
    Hi. I have AT&T also, but I'm not having any problem using my Bridge software. From what I have read from others, it seems the real issue is having the 4GB download plan (for BIS and including BlackBerry tethering), which I had. This was also what our local AT&T store rep told me was needed as well, and he apparently was correct, since as soon as I upgraded from my 200MB data plan (bridge would NOT work on it), then with the upgrade, it worked fine. (BYW, I was going to increase my data plan anyway because I was always either close or over on usage.

Hope that helps.
    06-04-11 01:39 PM
    OP should stop hurling **** at RIM for ATTs arrogance. ATT is pissed that they cannot charge for Playbook tethering - that was the whole point of Bridge.

RIM isn't at fault here and there are plenty of easy ways to get the app onto your device whether it works or not isn't RIMs fault because you are the one working with an unsupported carrier.
    06-04-11 01:58 PM
    OP I'll do my best to help you out.

RIM will not offer support for anything that YOU do to the phone that they themselves do not authorize because ANYONE can have change the software you are using. The could be a million reasons why Bridge won't work for you.

You should be focusing on why AT&T won't allow Bridge, if they'd allow it then RIM could help you.
    06-04-11 03:29 PM
    How do you know what is in these contracts? Answer: You don't.

Neither do I. But, I would bet a good amount of money that the reason that RIM is not supporting Bridge or making Bridge available to AT&T customers has nothing to do with any contract and everything to do with trying to convince AT&T to sell Playbooks or carry some new model of Blackberry.
    Wrong...Read Here and this explains that it is AT&T blocking the Bridge function. It's even explained by an AT&T Spokesperson.
    06-04-11 08:22 PM
    imho, RIM should have made sure that whatever deals needed to be made were in place with their carrier partners so issues like this wouldn't come up for potential PB customers on AT&T.
    06-05-11 05:43 AM
    imho, RIM should have made sure that whatever deals needed to be made were in place with their carrier partners so issues like this wouldn't come up for potential PB customers on AT&T.
    That's true if both parties are acting in good faith. You really think RIM just went up to AT&T the day before launch and told them about the Bridge? The carriers knew about bridge before the PB launched. Sprint had advertisement boards touting bridge weeks before the PB launch. No, this is straight AT&T stonewalling because some executive said "This is tethering and we need to find a way to charge for it". Especially when the PB launched on the heels of their crackdown on unauthorized tethering.
    06-05-11 06:41 AM
    New Version of Bridge. Still no support for us AT&T users.

My Bridge issues are still not resolved. Someone went to the trouble of changing the error message though. Instead of "Error 403" I now get "Your BlackBerry smartphone is unable to establish a connection to the destination server."

Bridge is still useless for me. Thanks AT&T and Thanks RIM!
    06-07-11 06:29 AM
153 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD