Come on people...turn up the heat on Twitter and Facebook! Please! This is the only way to pressure ATT into providing a statement or decision. Littering their walls/pages with negative comments is about all we can do short of calling customer service and complaining.
    06-03-11 10:42 AM
    My IT Department has everything for the Playbook enabled. I can browse on my phone and go to any site. They don't know what to change and, as I might have mentioned, RIM won't help at all. I can't really ask them to do any more.

Everyone here wants to talk about how evil ATT is. It is really not that simple because RIM could give AT&T owners support if it wanted to. Plus, this issue has nothing to do with AT&T's network. So, it is not an AT&T issue.

I feel like a child caught between two fighting parents. I don't care who is right or who is wrong. I just want the fighting to stop. There is really nothing that any of us can do to affect this situation. There are not enough people who will complain. RIM and AT&T have to resolve this. Not us. RIM is wrong to put its customers in the middle of this. Yes. AT&T is greedy. There is enough blame to go around. As a customer I just want it settled so I can get my issue resolved.
    Lawguyman: have your IT guy say that the company is evaluating switching from ATT to another carrier but that getting the PB to work is important because they are thinking about deploying PB's to the whole sales force. "We are looking at Sprint and TMO. What BES settings do we need to make the PB bridge work with BES?" Have a friend on TMO or Sprint give you a s/n from their PB as the example PB. Done and done.
    06-03-11 10:50 AM
    Seriously?
    RIM cannot help you. AT&T has decided that Bridge is not available for their users.

it is not up to RIM to proivide you support for an unsupported application on your carrier's network.

i really don't understand why you can't grasp this.

AT&T decided that Bridge is not something they want. RIM cannot force it on AT&T and cannot provide support for users on AT&T that want to use Bridge.
    06-03-11 10:57 AM
    The other Bridge functions work. Sometimes the bridge won't connect and I have to delete it and start over again. I assume that this is just buggy.
    Go to your Bluetooth connections, go to Options, under Services and Serial Port Profile, make sure that only Data Transfer is checked, and try it again. Like I said earlier, the Bridge Browser is hit or miss for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I generally don't have problems connecting the Bridge for the other apps.
    06-03-11 11:23 AM
    Sandy bridge is good. I just buy new thinkpad with sandybridge. Unlike bb bridge.
    Carriers feels that pb and bridge will consume more bandwidth and data than what was originally designed to be consumed by bb phone. So they try to force people to tether instead.
    06-03-11 11:43 AM
    Passing this along, the bolded text is from me:

"The following comes from an interview published today from the All Things Digital conference with ATT's Ralph De La Vega who said that AT&T working on a combined data plan so that people can share one data plan across multiple devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops. He said that we should expect one relatively soon, whatever that means precisely; assume that means three to five months from now.

All commentators have asked for this kind of offering for the last couple of years, and they are now praising ATT's explicit intent. Verizon has also recently suggested that it's got something similar in store. One can't help but to draw the conclusion that Apple is one of the several parties pushing for this effort, with Google (Android) as another eventually inevitable party. HP is yet another, and Microsoft< probably by the end of 2012.

In the midst of this euphoria, however, people are conveniently forgetting that at least one company already offers this benefit, and that is Research In Motion. If you have a BlackBerry, you can access the cellular network with your PlayBook at no incremental cost. With any other tablet, you have a long list of plans from the major cellular operators ranging from $10 per month to $80, with the most popular plans normally between $20 and $50 per month.

Obviously what ATT has in mind here, at least for the longer term, is the ideal scenario of mixing and matching smartphones and tablets from different makers. You should be able to have a BlackBerry and an iPad, for example, and get this benefit. This makes even more sense when you consider that people take it for granted that they want their laptops thrown into the equation as well.

"In addition, I (Ralph De La Vega) don't want to hear any jokes about AT&T blocking RIM's software that enables you to use your BlackBerry's 3G data plan on your PlayBook for free. While the Bridge app hasn't appeared in BlackBerry App World on an ATT device, you can still download this Bridge app from other places."

The new BlackBerry smartphones based on its 7.0 operating system should be rolling out mostly in August, and they are inherently capable of also tethering using WiFi. As to whether they will actually offer this capability depends on the carriers.

One would surmise that these plans and terms would mimic those already offered on the iPhone, Android and HP WebOS devices. This would expand RIM's capability from just hooking up the tablet to your smartphone, to also hooking up laptops and other devices -- although then it wouldn't be for free."
    06-03-11 11:48 AM
    Whoo what a thread.

A question for everyone based on the title of the thread: Is anyone like me, that there is no way I'm calling AT&T to ask them to start supporting the Bridge function and admitting that I own a playbook?
    When they start charging tethering fees for anyone with a playbook on their network (This is only a guess at the worst case scenario) they will need to send out a private eye like insurance companies to catch me using it.
    06-03-11 12:35 PM
    Whoo what a thread.

A question for everyone based on the title of the thread: Is anyone like me, that there is no way I'm calling AT&T to ask them to start supporting the Bridge function and admitting that I own a playbook?
    When they start charging tethering fees for anyone with a playbook on their network (This is only a guess at the worst case scenario) they will need to send out a private eye like insurance companies to catch me using it.
    I hate to break it to you, but if you use your device on their network, they already know you are using it...
    06-03-11 12:49 PM
    ^Tethering and Bridging are different. I also doubt that AT&T is going to hire a private 3rd party to track down people who are bridging their phones. If you tether, they can already see the additional bandwith that you're consuming and have sent notices/love letters/warnings to those account holders.

I will openly admit that the Bridge Browser sucks. That said, I do love having BBM, calendars and contacts synched to my PlayBook and it's a pain to worry about having to do a wipe on my phone, reDL the bridge app from CB, repair my PB and phone...it should just be a supported app. The CB work around has been a life saver but there shouldn't be that much work involved when every other major carrier supports the functionality. That's really all there is to it.
    06-03-11 12:56 PM
    I hate to break it to you, but if you use your device on their network, they already know you are using it...
    How do you figure it is not sent over my service books and using the bridge browser just shows up as using my phones browser?
    06-03-11 12:59 PM
    How do you figure it is not sent over my service books and using the bridge browser just shows up as using my phones browser?
    They just KNOW...you know? Big Brother is WATCHING!!!! That's all I can say for fear of reprisal...
    06-03-11 01:10 PM
    They just KNOW...you know? Big Brother is WATCHING!!!! That's all I can say for fear of reprisal...
    thanks for the heads up then I will start to make sure guys in black suits and sunglasses are not following me. If you don't hear back from me they got me and avenge my death!!!
    06-03-11 01:27 PM
    The Bridge Browser won't work at all. I get "Error 403" every time.
    Does your company allow internet traffic through the BES? If the MDS service is not configured on the BES to allow internet traffic then that is your problem. If the bridge app detects that you have an enterprise activated BB, it will only allow intranet AND internet traffic through the BES. You may be able to access websites on your phone because you also have BIS.
    06-03-11 01:34 PM
    Does your company allow internet traffic through the BES? If the MDS service is not configured on the BES to allow internet traffic then that is your problem. If the bridge app detects that you have an enterprise activated BB, it will only allow intranet AND internet traffic through the BES. You may be able to access websites on your phone because you also have BIS.
    I have heard this theory and this is one thing that I asked RIM about during the time before they cut me off and told me they couldn't help me. It was never confirmed.
    06-03-11 01:38 PM
    I have heard this theory and this is one thing that I asked RIM about during the time before they cut me off and told me they couldn't help me. It was never confirmed.
    Wouldn't that be a question for your IT department not RIM?
    06-03-11 01:40 PM
    Wouldn't that be a question for your IT department not RIM?
    Agreed. This is a BES management/configuration issue. RIM can help your IT dept set it up on the BES right though, as long as they have a technical support subscription...
    06-03-11 01:42 PM
    Yeah, just check with your BES Admin and see if internet access is configured. I have a strong feeling that it is not. Hopefully, they will be willing to configure it to allow for internet access. If not, you'll be like me and others waiting to see if RIM will allow a BES activated phone to access BIS if it's allowed by the BES Admin.
    06-03-11 01:53 PM
    You guys crack me up. Nothing is ever RIM's fault.

Everything is fine.

RIM is a victim of the press, AT&T, Apple's PR machine and my IT department.

Angry Farm rocks! I don't miss Angry Birds at all!

Who needs native e-mail anyway!

The Playbook's browser is too good - its stifleing App development.

The 99XX series delay until September is going according to plan.

OS7 really is a major new OS release.

QNX smartphones are just around the corner: 2013!

Sprint will be the only carrier with the Playbook - all by design. Who needs AT&T and Verizon anyway. Look what Sprint did for the Palm Pre!

Apple may have a reality distortion field but I don't know what is going on here.
    06-03-11 01:55 PM
    Serious kid what is your problem for most part people in this thread have given you clear concise answers to problems you ask.

If you got some bug up your **** about RIM then call them about it another than that shut up.
    06-03-11 01:59 PM
    You guys crack me up. Nothing is ever RIM's fault.

Everything is fine.

RIM is a victim of the press, AT&T, Apple's PR machine and my IT department.

Angry Farm rocks! I don't miss Angry Birds at all!

Who needs native e-mail anyway!

The Playbook's browser is too good - its stifleing App development.

The 99XX series delay until September is going according to plan.

OS7 really is a major new OS release.

QNX smartphones are just around the corner: 2013!

Sprint will be the only carrier with the Playbook - all by design. Who needs AT&T and Verizon anyway. Look what Sprint did for the Palm Pre!

Apple may have a reality distortion field but I don't know what is going on here.
    ...okay, sooooooo, back to the original point, did you talk to your IT department and get them to fix the BES issue?

Most of the people on this board don't believe RIM is a victim here. (I've already stated that RIM and AT&T should have gotten their act together before the PB was launched.)

RIM definitely has its flaws, but that is not the point of this whole thread.

Most of the people here are offering suggestions to you and trying to help. At least show a little gratitude.
    06-03-11 02:00 PM
    ...okay, sooooooo, back to the original point, did you talk to your IT department and get them to fix the BES issue?

Most of the people on this board don't believe RIM is a victim here. (I've already stated that RIM and AT&T should have gotten their act together before the PB was launched.)

RIM definitely has its flaws, but that is not the point of this whole thread.

Most of the people here are offering suggestions to you and trying to help. At least show a little gratitude.
    I appreciate that some people are trying to help. I really do. As I mentioned, my IT department is willing to help but I can't go to them time after time and say "try changing this" or "try changing that." I have done a fair amount of that already. These people have more to be concerned about than whether my Bridge Browser works or doesn't work.

The truth is that if the issue is that my IT department has configured the internet to work over BIS and not BES, I would prefer to keep it that way. Who wants all of their internet traffic going through their company's server? Again, I might try this to rule it out, but I have only heard about this as a theory. No one has ever confirmed it. Not here and not from RIM.

That is the thing that gets me angry - the lack of support. I could live without the Bridge Browser because at this point it doesn't seem to work too well for anyone. RIM should just stand behind its products.
    06-03-11 02:12 PM
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. When I opened a service ticket with RIM I was told that that is how it was designed. I'll try to pull up the KB document the tech referred to.
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 06-03-11 at 02:18 PM.
    06-03-11 02:15 PM
    Guys, cut him a little slack. He's frustrated that he couldn't get direct support from RIM on his issue. I'm sure he'll get with his IT folks and get it figured out.
    I wanted to but then he went into that rant about everything about RIM.

But off that Lawguy: If you want RIM support you are going to have to lie when you call them.

Only tell them you are using OS 6 don't tell them you have an ATT or Torch, pick another BB phone and another carrier if you have to and explain the BES but BIS Internet.

As explained previously RIM is not going to support an app you have when your carrier is not allowing it.
    06-03-11 02:22 PM
    I appreciate that some people are trying to help. I really do. As I mentioned, my IT department is willing to help but I can't go to them time after time and say "try changing this" or "try changing that." I have done a fair amount of that already. These people have more to be concerned about than whether my Bridge Browser works or doesn't work.

The truth is that if the issue is that my IT department has configured the internet to work over BIS and not BES, I would prefer to keep it that way. Who wants all of their internet traffic going through their company's server? Again, I might try this to rule it out, but I have only heard about this as a theory. No one has ever confirmed it. Not here and not from RIM.

That is the thing that gets me angry - the lack of support. I could live without the Bridge Browser because at this point it doesn't seem to work too well for anyone. RIM should just stand behind its products.
    I understand your frustration, but I still think it is misplaced. RIM fully supports the Bridge application when it is in a supported environment. When it is not, they cannot support it. AT&T is really the one who should be the target of your wrath in this case. I do think they should have worked together prior to launch, but that is ancient history now...

There are plenty of other things to be upset with RIM about, such as the various glaring holes that need to be updated in the native PB software, but in this case I think it really is AT&T...
    06-03-11 02:22 PM
    I wanted to but then he went into that rant about everything about RIM.

But off that Lawguy: If you want RIM support you are going to have to lie when you call them.

Only tell them you are using OS 6 don't tell them you have an ATT or Torch, pick another BB phone and another carrier if you have to and explain the BES but BIS Internet.

As explained previously RIM is not going to support an app you have when your carrier is not allowing it.
    They asked me for the PIN from my phone and they came back and told me exactly how it was provisioned. I expect that they can tell the carrier from this also because they told me everything else about how the phone was set up.
    06-03-11 02:26 PM
153 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD