I just bought the playbook because the salesman told me that "for sure" the playbook would run java apps.

I am trying to run a stock streaming application (from Scotia iTrade) that requires Java to be installed on the device in order to run....my attempts so far have failed.

Is this possible on the Playbook? Just want to make sure I am not overlooking something...

Thanks,
    Derek
    Last edited by dschaaf; 05-05-11 at 03:19 PM.
    05-05-11 02:59 PM
    Not yet, but when RIM demo'ed the Playbook native email app --- it was shown to be operating within a java virtual machine. How do we know that? Look at the following video --- when he switched from email app to calender app (and later to contacts app), it was operating within the java vm called "blackberry player".

05-05-11 03:22 PM
    Thanks for your response! When you say not yet...would you happen to have any guess on the timeframe?
    05-05-11 03:42 PM
    Honestly nobody knows --- java is going to be the LAST platform to be ready for the Playbook. Even the Android Player is going to be ready earlier.

But I do think that major Canadian banks will have Playbook support via other means because there are going to be demands by Canadian consumers --- maybe an AIR app or a native app. There are just too many blackberries in Canada --- on a per capita basis, Canadians have more blackberries than Americans --- so naturally we will see the same as well for Playbook. Secondly, RIM and QNX both being Canadian --- means that there are a lot more concentration of third party RIM and QNX consulting firms in Canada. If Scotia Bank doesn't have the QNX expertise, they can literally hire the QNX consulting firms who wrote the Highway 407 toll booth system.
    05-05-11 04:03 PM
    excellent info...thanks!

Unfortunately it may have to go back for now as I already own an iPad and the Samsung Galaxy tab...neither of which have java...and that was my reasoning for getting the PB.

Thanks again!

Derek
    05-05-11 04:11 PM
    I don't think you're likely to see tablet browsers supporting Java any time soon. Even Android which is practically written in Java doesn't support Java applets.

The reason is probably because all the manufacturers get cash from their app stores, Java applets are essentially apps not from these stores so why develop that. Not only that but Java applets are becoming very rare in everyday use so its probably a development dead end.
    05-05-11 05:31 PM
    I hope they do, but I'm not counting on it. I do a lot of work with the Tridium NiagaraAX framework, which is Java based. Their controllers even operate on QNX, so hopefully something will come of it.
    05-05-11 05:46 PM
    Java yes or at least android which is close enough for most. Java applets in a web browser I really doubt it.
    05-05-11 05:50 PM
    I read some where that According to Blackberry PlayBook Tablet review, it supports all the standard platforms and technologies, like POSIX OS, SMP, Open GL, BlackBerry 6, Web Kit, Java, Adobe Flash and AIR and etc. you will definitely enjoy nicer interface for navigating through applications. It comes with dual-core 1GHz processor and 1GB RAM which is perfect base for multitasking process. This Blackberry PlayBook Tablet is having dual camera and offers you video calling. The rear camera is a 5-megapixel shooter, while the front is 3 megapixels.
    05-07-11 04:38 AM
    I read some where that According to Blackberry PlayBook Tablet review, it supports all the standard platforms and technologies, like POSIX OS, SMP, Open GL, BlackBerry 6, Web Kit, Java, Adobe Flash and AIR and etc. you will definitely enjoy nicer interface for navigating through applications. It comes with dual-core 1GHz processor and 1GB RAM which is perfect base for multitasking process. This Blackberry PlayBook Tablet is having dual camera and offers you video calling. The rear camera is a 5-megapixel shooter, while the front is 3 megapixels.
    What relevance are POSIX, SMP, Open GL, Web Kit, AIR, BB6, cameras and video calling to Java applets?
    05-07-11 04:50 AM
    The streaming live quote of itrade does not work as indicated but the rest of the web site including the trading desk (which provides correct bid/ask/last price) does work. So in the meantime you can look at other playbook aps for real time charting and switch back to itrade for trading. (This option might actually make more sense than trying to run any full streaming page on a small screen.)
    11-21-11 12:03 PM
    I just bought the playbook because the salesman told me that "for sure" the playbook would run java apps.
    You should go back and tell that salesman that he's a lying *****. Or, at least, that he's either one or the other. He sold you a bill of goods. (Edit: interesting... I would think though we shouldn't call each other "i-d-i-o-t-s" that calling a store salesman that should be fair game. ;-) )

The PlayBook can do many things, but running Java is not currently one of those things, and not something I think you'll see soon (where the definition of "soon" in the RIM world has a high degree of fluidity...).
    11-21-11 01:29 PM
    being a 6 month old thread, I hope he did something about this already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 01:59 PM
    Still asking. Does OS2 run web pages that require JAVA not Javascript?
    02-28-12 11:02 PM
    Pm me a link to a java applet and I will try it for you if you don't have a pb. Never needed or tried it before.
    02-28-12 11:20 PM
    No. It doesn't and won't anytime soon in my opinion. Maybe native Java applications, but not java apps. Really though, this thread is beyond old and since you made a new one (with damn near the same title) posting in this one was pointless..
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-29-12 12:29 AM
    Doesn,t work.

Disappointed as would have been great for F1 Live Timing
    Formula 1

The developer is making a BB Mobile paid version available (soon) but not a Playbook app.
    Looking at the features of the app doesnt look worthwhile on a halfscreen phone.
    03-07-12 07:41 AM
    RIM initially announced that it would implement a BlackBerry Java Player. This would have let the PlayBook run BB phone apps. They are written in a modified version of the cut-down version of Java that is used on mobile devices. It seems that RIM's initial plan for native email on the PlayBook was to use the BB emall apps in this player. This player project is definitely dead, RIM made a formal announcement.

There were also early announcements, or at least statements, that a full JVM implementation (like the desktop version) would be available on the PlayBook. Apparently RIM has dropped this, too, although I don't remember a formal announcement. I've read that a JVM implementation already exists for QNX. There may be a problem with licensing this. Sun/Oracle has never licensed the full Java for mobile devices, nor released it into the public domain for mobile devices. Oracle is suing Google over Android using Java.

So it looks like the only way to use Java on the PlayBook is the modified Jave environnement used in the Android player (but Android apps are outside the "enterprise perimeter" and wil apparently only be for personal use).
    03-07-12 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD