The PlayBook is a dual-core so should be supported? Or will RIM make us upgrade tablets....
    11-05-11 07:39 AM
    Hello,
    As I understand it, BBX is going to be fully compatible with the tablet. The future strategy is to have a device that is driven by QNX. BBX is just the name for the device. It sounds more BlackBerry than QNX.
    jarekb likes this.
    11-05-11 07:55 AM
    Yes as guerllamo7 says essentially BBX is QNX re branded. One OS for both phone and tablet.
    11-05-11 08:00 AM
    technically it already has bbx
    DeeLishusOne and rcheung135 like this.
    11-05-11 08:33 AM
    technically it already has bbx
    My understanding is that BBX is a merger of QNX and OS7 (or adding the secure elements of RIM devices with the bridge apps). QNX like the Droid OS's has no security. Security together with BBM has always been RIM's strength. If BBX was just QNX then it would have been released last year.
    11-05-11 09:10 AM
    My understanding is that BBX is a merger of QNX and OS7 (or adding the secure elements of RIM devices with the bridge apps). QNX like the Droid OS's has no security. Security together with BBM has always been RIM's strength. If BBX was just QNX then it would have been released last year.
    QNX and BBOS are completely different. QNX is especially good at security due to the nature of its architecture. BBX is just RIM's rebranding of their QNX technology which in this application has been developed as a tablet/phone OS.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 11-05-11 at 09:39 AM.
    kbz1960 and AggreX like this.
    11-05-11 09:35 AM
    You already have BBX Enjoy.
    AggreX likes this.
    11-05-11 09:37 AM
    QNX like the Droid OS's has no security.
    i think you may want to do a little more research on that one. QNX has plenty of security in built which is one of the reasons why the playbook was so quick in getting its fips certification. RIM has been smart in using a base to put blackberry onti that comes with its own security and also adding their own on top
    AggreX and kbz1960 like this.
    11-05-11 09:49 AM
    i think you may want to do a little more research on that one. QNX has plenty of security in built which is one of the reasons why the playbook was so quick in getting its fips certification. RIM has been smart in using a base to put blackberry onti that comes with its own security and also adding their own on top
    Hmm... very nice. Didn't know that.

I had assumed that was the reason behind wifi only and bridge. My gut was that 3g wouldn't have been so hard to add but they were resisting due to security and the bridge adds security since nothing's on the berry when you disconnect the bridge.

If QNX is secure, then I'm really wondering why so much delay to release it on a berry.
    11-05-11 10:19 AM

I had assumed that was the reason behind wifi only and bridge. My gut was that 3g wouldn't have been so hard to add but they were resisting due to security and the bridge adds security since nothing's on the berry when you disconnect the bridge.

If QNX is secure, then I'm really wondering why so much delay to release it on a berry.
    QNX is brilliant at handling multicore processors. Adding QNX to a single core processor defeats the purpose of QNX which has a super stable microkernel that handles/allocates application demands/requests on a prioritized basis. Simply put, QNX is not compatible with a single core processor.
    11-05-11 10:53 AM
    Simply put, QNX is not compatible with a single core processor.
    Well that's just plain incorrect.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-05-11 10:59 AM
    I believe I read somewhere that the bbx test phones that are already built only have single core processors. I could be wrong tho

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    11-05-11 11:35 AM
    The Playbook runs "Blackberry Tablet OS" which is based on QNX. BBX is the future OS that is being built on QNX technology and Tablet OS. There are QNX based OSs out there that are nothing like Tablet OS or BBX and they are running on dual core and single core devices both. But BBX will only be engineered to run on dual core devices
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-05-11 at 12:04 PM.
    11-05-11 11:47 AM
    Sorry for sounding so blonde, as I'm not really that technical..

Does this mean that the PB's we have now can withstand all the upgrades for QNX/BBX, or will we have to ditch these and buy a NEW PB with all the bells and whistles?
    11-05-11 11:48 AM
    QNX is brilliant at handling multicore processors. Adding QNX to a single core processor defeats the purpose of QNX which has a super stable microkernel that handles/allocates application demands/requests on a prioritized basis. Simply put, QNX is not compatible with a single core processor.
    What are you talking about?
    11-05-11 11:48 AM
    Does this mean that the PB's we have now can withstand all the upgrades for QNX/BBX, or will we have to ditch these and buy a NEW PB with all the bells and whistles?
    You'll absolutely be running BBX on your existing PlayBook, if and when RIM ever manages to squeeze that puppy out the door.

BBX will be, in essence, simply "the OS formerly known as Tablet OS". It will have new features added, especially the native PIM stuff and a refresh of the user interface, but it's just the next version of the OS you already have on there, not some mysteriously "merged" version of BB OS and QNX.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-05-11 11:58 AM

Simply put, it needs to be tweaked, modded to work on a smartphone. QNX was originally designed for computers. I'll wait and let them get it right.
    11-05-11 02:09 PM

I've known some blonde techies....

Blackberry in the past has been good at backwards compatibility, there is a major transition occurring with BBX replacing BBOS, but playbook has the former. I doubt you will need a new PB to upgrade to the latest and greatest - they will fold what improvements they can back to the "old" hardware, assuming there is "new" hardware. Hardware improvements are likely the only thing you will miss out on.

Let not your blonde heart be troubled.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-05-11 at 05:28 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-05-11 03:09 PM
    the PB meets my needs as is. I don't really want email , bbm and such on my PB. I can understand someone having a phone other than a BB brand but I got all the email and bbm and such on my phone which I almost sleep with . Anyway I just wish the PB had a better browser. Thats really the only complaint I have. It just hangs and is slow to me. I use the opera mini browser on my 9800 and it just flys. I wish they had a version for the PB. The bridge feature is as slick as it can get.

By the way ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    11-05-11 05:18 PM

think of your pc - can you update to windows 8/9/10 etc... if it is currently on windows 7? Maybe maybe not, you're guess is as good as ours =).
    11-05-11 10:05 PM
    You'll absolutely be running BBX on your existing PlayBook, if and when RIM ever manages to squeeze that puppy out the door.

BBX will be, in essence, simply "the OS formerly known as Tablet OS". It will have new features added, especially the native PIM stuff and a refresh of the user interface, but it's just the next version of the OS you already have on there, not some mysteriously "merged" version of BB OS and QNX.
    I started a discussion about the 16GB possibly being insufficient. It is possible that that the 16GB will be a lite version, but will be replaced soon after QNX launches and 32GB becomes the industry standard (like how 16GB is the base capacity for most higher end cell phones on the market).

However, after realizing that the Motorola Xoom 2 has pretty much the same specs, and Kindle having inferior technology compared to the PlayBook, I have a stronger feeling that the PB in its current form will still be relevant on the tablet market until the iPad comes out with the iPad 3 probably with a base 32GB.
    Last edited by rcheung135; 11-06-11 at 12:05 AM.
    11-05-11 11:34 PM
    You have to be aware that the name "BBX" is currently in trademark dispute. I do believe RIM is trying very hard to keep this name, but the end product may be named something else.

I'd say they try BlackBerry OS X, but that's trademarked too.

Maybe just "BlackBerry X" and don't abbreviate it officially.
    11-06-11 01:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD