Hello
    I know that we dont have all the specs on this beauty ... but dose anyone know or heard of what file types the playbook will support?? i read on their site that "Codec support for superior media playback, creation and video calling" was on it ... but what dose that mean?
    10-26-10 10:19 PM
    MKV is just a container, it can contain many different codecs. I expect the MKV container will be supported, as adding container support is really easy, the question is what codec is your video compressed with? If it's HD I can pretty much guarantee it's H.264, which will work perfectly. If it's not HD then there's a few more codecs it could be. We don't really have an exhaustive list of what codecs will be supported, but Dan Dodge indicated they want to support everything possible.
    10-27-10 02:37 AM
    excellent!!!!! just what i wanted to hear!!
    10-27-10 06:42 PM
    I sure hope it does!!
    03-07-11 11:07 AM
    I hope so as well. I have over 120 HD movies in .mkv format
    03-07-11 11:08 AM
    I posted about this back in January. The general conclusion was that if it doesn't recognize the mkv wrapper you may have to convert to say an H.264 based avi file. guess we are just going to have to wait.
    03-08-11 08:09 AM
    I hope it at least does .vob. I had to convert my mkvs to PS3 compatible, and .vob is a 5-minute reheader instead of a multi hour conversion.
    03-08-11 10:43 AM
    Likely won't recognize the mkv container. Hopefully a third party app steps in.
    03-08-11 10:44 AM
    Most gadgets (if not all) dont support MKV out of the box, not sure why (piracy perhaps?), but maybe the playbook is an exception? and if it isnt, hopefully someone will make an app that runs MKV video including vob and all that stuff. i would be willing to pay fo ir :P
    03-08-11 02:28 PM
    This is exciting, because it has an HDMI port. I pretty much assume it'll support almost any filetype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 11:16 AM
    This is exciting, because it has an HDMI port. I pretty much assume it'll support almost any filetype.

Technically the HDMI port simply means that it can output video. It doesn't really define file formats, except for the formats in the HDMI specification.
    03-10-11 11:40 AM
    Technically the HDMI port simply means that it can output video. It doesn't really define file formats, except for the formats in the HDMI specification.
    No I know, I think maybe I misspoke. I meant those to be two unrelated sentences. I'm excited because it has an HDMI port. Even if it didn't have an HDMI port I'd probably still buy it.
    03-10-11 11:45 AM
    No I know, I think maybe I misspoke. I meant those to be two unrelated sentences. I'm excited because it has an HDMI port. Even if it didn't have an HDMI port I'd probably still buy it.
    Ah. you didn't misspake, just I read it as leading into the other sentence.
    03-11-11 12:13 AM
    well, it's one of the most important for me too as I really want to just copy/past all my 1080p mkv...

The main question is : will the OMAP 4430 be able to play h264 High Profile videos. Because all of the mkv you can find over the web are mostly encoded with this high profile format.

You can see all the specs of the OMAP4 here. From what I understand it seems that we could be lucky enough to play our mkv...

For your information, both the Nvidia Tegra 2 and the Apple A5 are not supporting this high profile... So it means that all the coming Android Tab and the iPad 2 will never be able to play our mkv. Even if the OEM are marketing their products as "1080p compatible". Be careful: to be fully compatible, it should accept the H264 high profile.

Whatever happens, I will definitely wait for a tablet that can play high profile mkv and the Playbook could be the first one to decode it.

The Tegra 3 should also support H264 high profile but first products with this chip should only come for Back-To-School season...

Hope this will help, wiating for the first tests with mkv... Omap4 seems to be the best choise for playing high profile MKV so I'm keeping faith!
    04-05-11 04:39 AM
    it may not support the .mkv file format, but there's a program on the PS3 forums that quickly reheaders the videos into .vob or something else (which is more likely compatible)
    nievz likes this.
    04-05-11 10:18 AM
    The PlayBook does support 1080p H.264 high profile, being the only current tablet to do so. The iPad doesn't even support 1080p H.264 standard profile, it's still 720p.

Almost all MKVs you come across have their video content in H.264, so that part should be supported. It remains to be seen if the PlayBook will support the MKV container format, but changing the container is quick and easy compared to re-encoding the whole video.
    04-05-11 12:10 PM
    Hello
    I know that we dont have all the specs on this beauty ... but dose anyone know or heard of what file types the playbook will support?? i read on their site that "Codec support for superior media playback, creation and video calling" was on it ... but what dose that mean?
    This may help:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...codecs-601213/
    04-05-11 04:04 PM
    The PlayBook does support 1080p H.264 high profile, being the only current tablet to do so. The iPad doesn't even support 1080p H.264 standard profile, it's still 720p.

Almost all MKVs you come across have their video content in H.264, so that part should be supported. It remains to be seen if the PlayBook will support the MKV container format, but changing the container is quick and easy compared to re-encoding the whole video.
    I love your answer dude! Where did you get this info? I search the whole web for this answer!

Do you know at what max bitrate and fps? Will it be able to handle all the 1080p mkv then (I know the container will not be supported by the native player but if teh hardware supports it we'll definitely see an app for it...)?
    04-11-11 08:58 AM

I agree that just about every mkv I've seen is h.264 based. How do you change the container from mkv to, say, avi without re-encoding the entire video?
    04-11-11 09:26 AM
    i just uploaded a .mkv video on my playbook and i don t see it on my videos folder
    .avi works fine,
    anyone has the same issue here ??
    04-20-11 08:32 AM
    i just uploaded a .mkv video on my playbook and i don t see it on my videos folder
    .avi works fine,
    anyone has the same issue here ??
    yes. i also tried wmv, it sees these but wont play them (gives an error msg) Im going to look into easy ways to convert mkv to something it will play later today.
    wadjaw likes this.
    04-20-11 08:50 AM
    04-24-11 01:46 AM
    i have used AVS converter 7.1 to covert my mkv files to avi .... it seems to work great. I have converted most of my mkv library to avi using this program and it dose work quite well on my playbook

Last edited by starfleet_k; 04-24-11 at 01:59 AM.
    04-24-11 01:56 AM
    don't think the .vob file will be recognized. try repackaging into one of:
    3GP, 3GP2, M4V, MOV, MP4, MPEG-4.

there are only so many formats that were supported out-of-the-box. recall that the device is doing serious hardware-offloading for video playback, so it's not likely to be as simple as just "load VLC" or something similar on it. We should see more formats and codecs supported as time progresses.

Thought I heard that the iPad supported quicktime only?
    04-24-11 02:03 AM
    don't think the .vob file will be recognized. try repackaging into one of:
    3GP, 3GP2, M4V, MOV, MP4, MPEG-4.

there are only so many formats that were supported out-of-the-box. recall that the device is doing serious hardware-offloading for video playback, so it's not likely to be as simple as just "load VLC" or something similar on it. We should see more formats and codecs supported as time progresses.

Thought I heard that the iPad supported quicktime only?
    mkv2vob doesn't support just converting to vob. it does .m2ts also.

Just wondering if someone can comfirm that it doesnt work
    04-24-11 02:06 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD