ive been reading many threads about android 2 but not about android 3 on PB. tell me this isnt so. or if so, whats the word for android 3 to be coming?
    10-21-11 02:52 PM
    The answer is NEVER --- because Google will NEVER release the source code for Honeycomb.
    10-21-11 03:08 PM
    Which further limits the usefulness of the Android player on the PlayBook, right? In other words, as Android matures and apps adjust to support the newer flavors of Android, won't the player on the PlayBook be left behind sooner rather than later?
    10-21-11 03:13 PM
    i was hoping to be able to buy the mobile version of Slingmedia, but it requires Android 3.0 or higher.
    10-21-11 03:19 PM
    Which further limits the usefulness of the Android player on the PlayBook, right? In other words, as Android matures and apps adjust to support the newer flavors of Android, won't the player on the PlayBook be left behind sooner rather than later?
    No, it doesn't matter because there are not many Honeycomb apps.

Google has said that they are releasing the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich --- so RIM can upgrade the Android Player to Android 4.0.
    10-21-11 03:27 PM
    Ah, got it. Thanks.
    10-21-11 03:27 PM
    Android 4! That sounds great!

Not being a developer i have an obtuse question; will i be able to buy this Slingmedia product?
    10-21-11 03:37 PM
    No, it doesn't matter because there are not many Honeycomb apps.

Google has said that they are releasing the source code for Ice Cream Sandwich --- so RIM can upgrade the Android Player to Android 4.0.
    A couple weeks after Nexus Prime launches, right? Thought I read that somewhere. (ICS source code release)

So how does this effect us, besides getting newer Apps that weren't released prior to ICS (in the future of course)?
    10-21-11 03:44 PM
    It doesn't affect anything --- Android 2.2 has the most users at the moment, so Android developers still have to support that.
    10-21-11 03:55 PM
    Its Android 2.3 Gingerbread that is in the Android Player I believe - which is the most current Smartphone version at the moment, I'd imagine it will be well into 2012 before there are massive volumes of 4.0 phone users.
    10-21-11 04:17 PM
    Android 4! That sounds great!

Not being a developer i have an obtuse question; will i be able to buy this Slingmedia product?
    The photo you attached should answer your own question. Android 3.0 = no. Unless you can get the phone version to run.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-21-11 05:55 PM
    Google's intent with Android is that it is Open Source, which means source code will be released. However, that doesn't guarantee timely releases of source code. And that doesn't mean all of what you see in Android is open source. Components like Gmail, Google Maps, etc. are Google's and they decide who is allowed to access those components.

Ice Cream Sandwich, aka ICS, Android 4.0, has already had its source code released and ported to the Nexus One, the first "Google phone".
    10-21-11 06:11 PM
    Google's intent with Android is that it is Open Source, which means source code will be released. However, that doesn't guarantee timely releases of source code. And that doesn't mean all of what you see in Android is open source. Components like Gmail, Google Maps, etc. are Google's and they decide who is allowed to access those components.

Ice Cream Sandwich, aka ICS, Android 4.0, has already had its source code released and ported to the Nexus One, the first "Google phone".
    Source code has not been released, it was a hack using the ICS SDK (which doesn't contain any source code).
    10-21-11 07:04 PM
    Source code has not been released, it was a hack using the ICS SDK (which doesn't contain any source code).
    I stand corrected regarding the port to the Nexus One. I still think Google will release source in a month, keeping with their release history.
    10-22-11 03:24 AM
    Playbook currently uses Android 2.3.3

Android 4.0 source comes out soon.
    RIM can then update Android Player to 4.0 which is better suited to tablets, is better suited to devices without hardware buttons, is better suited to dual-core hardware and has the latest API to support the latest applications.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-22-11 06:06 AM
    Now the question is: will they, and how long will it take?
    10-22-11 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD