BB should take a page out of the Apple playbook (no pun intended) and support the current Playbook for as many updates as it takes, hardware permitting. Even the iPhone 3Gs (2009) can be updated with the latest IOS software (5.01).
    Unless you happen to be a poor sole with a 1st Gen iPod Touch who is stuck on 3.1.3... I seriously doubt the extra 121MHz on the CPU were the deciding factor between the 1st Gen getting OS3 and 2nd Gen getting OS4, considering they use the same CPU and GPU, same amount of RAM, screen resolution, etc...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 01:33 PM
    Such as?

I keep hearing this... and yet I use my playbook all the time and it serves all manner of vital functions. Strange for something that apparently is so crippled.
    Well, for starters it will not get BBM in os 2.0, which Rim has defined as a cornerstone to the blackberry experience with all those old BBM commercials. How can they not include a feature that Rim touts is a part of the blackberry DNA and is so integral to the BB experience?

I will go on record and say that OS 2.0 will not be out in February, or maybe even March... if it does make it out in February, it will be an empty, watered down update without half of what PB owners are expecting and may as well be an OS 1.x.x update.

I completely agree with this. It has happened before all the time on blackberries, and I would expect the same with the playbook. I love rim, don't get me wrong. I still think many will see os 2.0 being underwhelming and disappointing to many. I have been a BB user long enough to know what to expect in the future.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 11-22-11 at 01:46 PM.
    11-22-11 01:43 PM
    wierd... I could've sworn I use BBM on the playbook all the time. Why does it matter if bbm is native or if its bridged again?
    11-22-11 03:53 PM
    John has indicated in the beta zone that after the major 2.0 update we should begin receiving more frequent incremental upgrades. OS 3.0 - who knows; by the time version 3 is on the drawing board we might have holographic projectors and tractor beams as part of the hardware requirements.
    11-22-11 03:57 PM
    No offense, but I think it's silly to be wondering about OS 3.0 on a 199$ tablet a year and half from now. If the price isn't making you want it now, I don't think OS 2 nor 3 will make you want it any more later on at an increased price. Just my 2 cents.
    11-22-11 03:58 PM
    If OS2 just fixes the typing, adds a2dp and some search functions, I would be more content than now. Some love for the "professional" like Word, Sheets would be a definite plus.

OS3 - some folks are seriously delusional. Again, I'm barely hoping for the stuff in my 1st paragraph.
    11-22-11 04:04 PM
    wierd... I could've sworn I use BBM on the playbook all the time. Why does it matter if bbm is native or if its bridged again?
    It only matters to those with a PB and no BB phone. Which , let's face it, is probably a minority (however loud) of PB owners.
    11-22-11 04:19 PM
    It only matters to those with a PB and no BB phone. Which , let's face it, is probably a minority (however loud) of PB owners.
    It also matters to those of us who find the BBM bridge app too laggy and buggy to be used with any regularity.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    11-22-11 06:21 PM
    It also matters to those of us who find the BBM bridge app too laggy and buggy to be used with any regularity.
    Thank you.

Again, rim says that BBM is a cornerstone to the blackberry experience. They spent a lot of money on commercials and bang their chest about BBM. But then they don't include this key feature on their PB natively?

Also, I like having redundancy. If something happens to my BB, then I would have a PB to fall back on, or visa versa. Or if I walk into a building where I don't get signal but have wifi, then I can use the pb.
    11-22-11 07:39 PM
    Why not just BBM with the phone? Cuz wouldn't typing be better on the phone's keyboard anyways as opposed to the touch screen?

11-22-11 07:40 PM
    Why not just BBM with the phone? Cuz wouldn't typing be better on the phone's keyboard anyways as opposed to the touch screen?

Because phones go down. Because people lose signals in buildings. And I would assume that I could BBM and stay connected via wifi when I am in a different country and don't have a phone on me. There are instances where having BBM on both devices is useful.

The PB is supposed to to solve issues...not add a layer of complexity (with bridging)
    11-22-11 07:44 PM
    laggy and buggy? Weird. I suppose its needless to say but I have had no problems with bridge at all... not in BBM... or email... or browsing.

and... if you walk into a building without wifi... you continue to use your PB over bridge... which you didn't pay anyone for. No tethering fees.

I mean did someone ******* in your sugary breakfast cereal?
    11-22-11 07:51 PM
    we can't say urin eight? seriously???? Commies.
    11-22-11 07:52 PM
    Buy it for what it can do now. If you are happy with its current state, you will be even happier with whatever OS comes down the road. Don't buy something based on what it "could" get in the future, or you will be disappointed.
    Wise statement Michelle.
    A wise person once looked in my closet and said - "I could save you a lot of money on clothes that you do not wear - by helping you 'not buy them' in the first place. It seems like a bargain on the rack that you might use, but its no bargain if you only have a 50% chance of using it.
    If I understood all this buying theory I could be a great economist.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    11-22-11 08:07 PM
    I will go on record and say that OS 2.0 will not be out in February, or maybe even March... if it does make it out in February, it will be an empty, watered down update without half of what PB owners are expecting and may as well be an OS 1.x.x update.
    I'd be willing to bet on a 2.0 in February with native PIM/email, Android, and autocorrect. These features are far enough along I don't really have any doubts. If it wasn't for BES it'd be a January or even December release. I've pulled apart the 2.0 dev beta and seen the PIM infrastructure myself, I know exactly what's there and what isn't.

The only previous timeline RIM missed was native email for summer, the rest has been speculation. Why'd they miss? They went back to the drawing board and re-did it from the ground up to create a great experience rather than average one. Native email was demoed at BB World, but it was just the OS6 email app running in the BBOS Player with a small tablet UI update. RIM could have released it, but they decided not to for good reason. OS 2.0 will have fully QNX-native email and BES support, that's a much bigger undertaking but the results will be far far superior. Look at how different it is today BlackBerry PlayBook Native Email, Contacts and Calendar Screenshots and Details | BlackBerry Cool from what was shown at BB world. What we have today isn't just fully native email infrastructure, but a Cascades UI too.
    11-23-11 01:37 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD