After the TP disaster is this going to help the PB? How can the PB be so underrated? Yes it has its flaws but it is better than most reviewers make it sound. My wife has an ipad1 and she says she can't wait for BB to put out an 10" PB mainly because of flash issues.
    08-21-11 07:48 AM
    I think the TouchPad fiasco can only be a plus for Playbook adoption, honestly. One less OS and device to compete with.

And I am so amused by all the people on blogs and twitter who seem to think that the TP being dumped somehow means "Playbook is next".. They clearly haven't been paying attention. WebOS, sadly enough, was never more than a sideshow at HP.. QNX, on the other hand, is the very core of RIM's strategy for the future.. The situations are nothing alike...
    08-21-11 08:01 AM
    I am new to the tablet experience,but familiar with apple through my ipod.Ireally like my independance from the mothership.
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
    08-21-11 08:24 AM
    Will the PB gain market share?
    Yes, already

Will the PB gain "large portion" on market share?
    Could be..
    08-21-11 08:51 AM
    If the PB dropped say $150.00 from the standard price and releases the "2.0" BBOS to good reviews I think they could do quite well this holiday and beyond. Shut people up with native email, calander and browser improvements. Keep up the relationship with EA for high end games. (Battlefield 3!) Keep adding new media services like BBM Music and of course, get the Android apps out then CRUSH them with native ones.

This recipie cooks up a healthy PlayBook.

I purchased a Touchpad as well with the deathrow prices in effect. Should be fun to dork around with. I have to wonder though if the liquidation of the TP will end up hurting all of the non Apple tablet sales for the end of this year. A lot of people will be perfectly happy with a TP for a while and I hear lots of people getting them as gifts for others as well. These things are priced under most chinese knock offs for pity's sake!
    08-21-11 09:14 AM
    How many tp's were manufactured? If it was a lot and they sell them all at the ridiculous price they have them at does that mean that will make the tp and webos attractive to some other company to take it over and improve upon?
    08-21-11 10:00 AM
    I think the Playbook's market share will stay about the same for the next little while.
    08-21-11 10:04 AM
    WebOS market share was well below the PBs before the announcement. With the firesale, webOS increased marketshare actually. I would imagine the PB marketshare remain the same basically until the "relaunch" occurs.
    08-21-11 10:13 AM
    ok so I don't get one thing, why is everyone so dang concerned with native email? do you need native email on a laptop? i ask cause honestly thats tje type of tablet RIM has released. even without my smartphone, i can go on the web the same as i would with a laptop, and view my emails the same as a laptop. i think we need to stop looking at this through apple colored shades. you don't need an app for everything, you want to check your account open it in the browser. Want to open it with one click, bookmark the site to your tray. There is so much the PB is capable of, more so than any other tablet, we juzt need to stop trying to make it work like an iPad, and use it's built in capabilities. We may be surprised what we come up with.
    08-21-11 12:18 PM
    If the PB dropped say $150.00 from the standard price and releases the "2.0" BBOS to good reviews I think they could do quite well this holiday and beyond......
    That is the understatement of the day.

After seeing how prople reacted after hp dropped the price, there will be mayhem if RIM drops price of pb to $150. You would need to call in the national guard to keep people from rushing into the stores to get a playbook.
    08-21-11 12:25 PM
    I think the TouchPad fiasco can only be a plus for Playbook adoption, honestly. One less OS and device to compete with.

And I am so amused by all the people on blogs and twitter who seem to think that the TP being dumped somehow means "Playbook is next".. They clearly haven't been paying attention. WebOS, sadly enough, was never more than a sideshow at HP.. QNX, on the other hand, is the very core of RIM's strategy for the future.. The situations are nothing alike...
    Your absolutely right, and fiasco is the perfect word for HP and Web OS. I used Palm for years all the way up through the Pre and loved Web OS. The timing was tragic with Android blowing up. I think a heavyweight like HP could have gotten some developers on board for a decent app market.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 12:44 PM
    ok so I don't get one thing, why is everyone so dang concerned with native email? do you need native email on a laptop? i ask cause honestly thats tje type of tablet RIM has released. even without my smartphone, i can go on the web the same as i would with a laptop, and view my emails the same as a laptop. i think we need to stop looking at this through apple colored shades. you don't need an app for everything, you want to check your account open it in the browser. Want to open it with one click, bookmark the site to your tray. There is so much the PB is capable of, more so than any other tablet, we juzt need to stop trying to make it work like an iPad, and use it's built in capabilities. We may be surprised what we come up with.
    many people use outlook or another email client on their PCs and laptops. Outlook is business standard pretty much, even a MAC would have outlook or equivalent on it
    08-21-11 12:44 PM
    I agree with reduce price of playbook.. RIM should did the "volume" approach from the very beginning... meaning, even the profit for each PB is low, they should target the volume... and when volume increase, it means more playbook users... this will definitely attract more developers and programmers to support QNX OS... and then, when a large population is already familiar and become dependent with PB, this is now the rigth time to introduce the PB2... this time, they can now deal with higher price of PB with higher specs since Apps are no longer issues... and that would be the time that we can say, tablet is no longer ruled by one brand and OS...
    08-21-11 12:49 PM
    Most of these thoughts are relevant, to a point, about how this will affect PB sales.

Unfortunately, RIM has now lost the vast number of consumers that weren't set on any specific tablet - the reason being is that people aren't thinking"Oh, now there are only 3 real kinds of tablet OSes, my choices have been made smaller so now there is a higher probability I will choose the PB over the others." It has become "Oh great, the iPad just drove a "lesser" tablet out of business - if I buy a non-iPad tablet, I risk having my device discontinued."

BB owners that see the new OS 2.0 news and updates to the device in the next month or so will be good to wager a purchase of a PB on, but everyone else will be driven to get an iPad even more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Android tablets take a hit too.
    Last edited by OverShadow417; 08-21-11 at 01:52 PM.
    08-21-11 01:48 PM
    Your absolutely right, and fiasco is the perfect word for HP and Web OS. I used Palm for years all the way up through the Pre and loved Web OS. The timing was tragic with Android blowing up. I think a heavyweight like HP could have gotten some developers on board for a decent app market.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HP wants to duke it out with IBM for a share of the commercial market. The retale consumer market is to expensive to create acceptable profit. Just look at the rate of returned merchandise because we just don't like it and want to try something else because we can. What difference does it make that I broke it, you can afford to pay because you are a capitalist.we are always right and you have to live with it. How do you think a shareholder feels about that?
    We drive the market, anybody see where we are going, cheap products?
    elokito likes this.
    08-21-11 02:02 PM
    many people use outlook or another email client on their PCs and laptops. Outlook is business standard pretty much, even a MAC would have outlook or equivalent on it
    You've got a lot of nerve countering that poster's ridiculous comment with facts and logic. How dare you.
    08-21-11 02:04 PM
    Not due to webOS dying. But I am hopeful now that RIM has the OS7 phones done, and they are very solid, that their mostly full attention will turn to QNX. If the QNX phones are to launch and have proper apps, then it seems the PlayBook is a great starting point in working with 3rd party developers. Really they need to build things out, software wise. And that should help the PlayBook.
    08-21-11 02:06 PM
    qnx is rim's strategy for the next 10 years, so buckle up and stay tuned.

Here is a different angle. with the 9900. rim has enticed people like me, pb lover, to get the device so that i can do the bb+pb marriage.

i am saying goodbye to my iphone 3gs finally.
    08-21-11 02:22 PM
    How many tp's were manufactured? If it was a lot and they sell them all at the ridiculous price they have them at does that mean that will make the tp and webos attractive to some other company to take it over and improve upon?
    I don't know how many were made but the initial results are 350,000 sold in the last 24 hours. Everyone in the Toronto area and online are pretty much out of stock.
    08-21-11 02:32 PM
    Unfortunately the blunt answer is NO !!!
    Even with the 2.0 re-launch it would gain marketshare but nothing that significant
    08-21-11 05:57 PM
    yes, but if you have a BlackBerry already, you're bridged which you get your emails there. if you had a native email as well everytime you get an email you want to hear it go off twice? Plus you would still need wifi for a native email, why not just use the browser? I mean with all the things the PlayBook can do, and the potential it has i just think native email is kinda a lame thing to be whining about. not trying to be mean its just tired if seeing people complain or throw it in to every thread about something PlayBook.
    08-23-11 10:53 AM
    for the people that dont get the importance of a native email client, you never will. its been explained in 100 threads already.
    08-23-11 10:59 AM
    yes, but if you have a BlackBerry already, you're bridged which you get your emails there. if you had a native email as well everytime you get an email you want to hear it go off twice? Plus you would still need wifi for a native email, why not just use the browser? I mean with all the things the PlayBook can do, and the potential it has i just think native email is kinda a lame thing to be whining about. not trying to be mean its just tired if seeing people complain or throw it in to every thread about something PlayBook.
    Not everyone that owns or would like a playbook owns or uses a bb. For those people it would be nice to have email on it to do things in it when not in wifi area or tethering to send when they are. Yes if they have a smart phone they have email on it but not every has a smart phone either.

It would also be good to be able to use the send function like on other tabs, computers and laptops. I guess they want it to do what the rest of them do. I agree if you have a bb it doesn't matter. There is always the option of only using one of the options and not both so you wouldn't have to worry about having them all in sync.
    08-23-11 11:03 AM
    It would also be good to be able to use the send function like on other tabs, computers and laptops. I guess they want it to do what the rest of them do. I agree if you have a bb it doesn't matter. There is always the option of only using one of the options and not both so you wouldn't have to worry about having them all in sync.
    It would even be a step forward if it were possible to set the PB browser to make Gmail or Yahoo the default mail client, or to offer a choice when a mailto: link is clicked.
    kbz1960 and howarmat like this.
    08-23-11 12:55 PM
    Suppose I don't use a web based email service?

Suppose I don't have a BlackBerry to go with my PlayBook and am instead using a different device that doesn't have Bridge?

What do I do to access my email then? Or are you taking the position that every person that wants a PlayBook must also own a BlackBerry phone?
    08-23-11 01:46 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD