Will the Otterbox Defender mess with bezel gestures?
06-23-11 12:24 AM
- I'm excited for the (soonish?) Playbook release and as such started checking out the Crackberry Shop for accessories. The Otterbox looks nice but I noticed that it covers a good bit of the bezel.
On most other tablets that's no problem of course but the Playbook uses so many gesture based inputs does anyone know if it covers too much to properly use them?03-20-11 10:45 AM
- I read somewhere that due to bezel gesture patents the PB actually uses the 1st line of pixels of the touch screen to determine the direction of where the gestures are coming from. So as stated in the previous reply - the Otterbox should have no impact whatsoever on the gestures.
I can't confirm this though - just hear say...
AR03-20-11 10:53 AM
- Using my otterbox right now, when holding it landscape you lose less than half the bezel on the sides and only a thin stripe on the top and bottom. Still plenty of room to use bezel gestures.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com04-29-11 01:50 PM
- I respectfully dissent from the other reviews on the OB. It's a great case for travel and without doubt is the best protection available. Beyond that, the case has issues. I suppose it's true that gestures work, but the entire experience is hindered by the screen protector. The fluidity is nowhere near as good as naked, can't always rely on a keystroke to register etc. The bulk added to the device is borderline ridiculous...my thin sleek device is now a heavy, thick brick. Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping mine for serious, road warrior travel, but at home or light trips I'm looking at other options. Just want my perspective out there, I know most will disagree.04-29-11 03:37 PM
- I have been using the Otterbox for a week and have had no issues at all with it. Gestures work great and for me, not a noticable difference using the touchscreen. Yes it does add bulk to it, but I find that it makes it easier to hold on to. It is sturdy and rugged and can handle the day to day bumps and knocks from toting it around everywhere. (and I don't have to babysit the nosy co-workers that sneak into my office to play with it)
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com04-29-11 03:55 PM
- I respectfully dissent from the other reviews on the OB. It's a great case for travel and without doubt is the best protection available. Beyond that, the case has issues. I suppose it's true that gestures work, but the entire experience is hindered by the screen protector. The fluidity is nowhere near as good as naked, can't always rely on a keystroke to register etc. The bulk added to the device is borderline ridiculous...my thin sleek device is now a heavy, thick brick. Don't get me wrong, I'm keeping mine for serious, road warrior travel, but at home or light trips I'm looking at other options. Just want my perspective out there, I know most will disagree.04-29-11 03:58 PM
- Bezel gestures are available with the case on. I agree that the film protector for the screen does impede screen sensitivity a bit. For me it is a tradeoff in letting my kids use it. I have to play with it a bit to see if there's an easy way to get it on/off. If I'm using it at home, I'd prefer the case off, but my wife plans to throw it in her bag regularly to have it available for the kids when they go out (e.g. she just took my daughter to swimming and brought the PB+Otterbox to entertain my son). She'd be frustrated if she had to put the Otterbox back on everytime she takes it out.
I also have a concern about the PB running hotter with an insulating case on it, but this is the third time I'm mentioning it and nobody else seems to be concerned about it (at least no-one has replied)04-29-11 03:59 PM
- 04-29-11 04:08 PM
- just received mine today...so far...i would have to say i notice that it is there for bezel swipes and on the touch screen but it doesn't seem to be a problem. if i were to rate naked as a 10, i would probably give it a 9.5.
also...i don't know if you have an option to run without the screen protector as it is physically part of the case (unless you permanently cut it out).04-29-11 08:40 PM
- Gestures work fine, besides for most gestures, if you look there is also an arrow on the screen that will perform the same function. As far as the screen protector is concerned I didnt notice any difference in performance as the screen is quite sensitive. You wouldnt want to use a touch screen for long without protection with the constant swiping and wiping of finger prints. A screen protector is replaceable but the screen isnt. Sometimes I hate the bulk and would like to show off how thin and solid the playbook is. It nearly doubles the weight too. However, it sits in your lap better and wont slide off. My favorite thing about the case is the cover that also doubles as a stand. You will love the stand IMO. I sit on the arm of my couch at home and surf away! As far as heat, there is no problem there. I hate to admit it but I played Need For Speed for about 6 hours strait with out a hiccup. It warms up but no problems to speak of. Im sure it would crash or shut down to save itself from overheating.
Last edited by waggs63; 05-30-11 at 01:00 AM.05-29-11 11:07 PM
- My issue with my otterbox is how hard it is to take on and off, when I am in a warehouse I want my otterbox, when I am in a boardroom I don't it makes it too big,
I found responsiveness of gestures to be slightly slower, the bottom bezel being the hardest to get used to the change. that said, it is the only case I am using now, I am either naked or otterboxed,05-30-11 07:04 AM
- I dont find the bezel gestures to be a problem at all, and the sensitivity is great, except if you want to use a stylus (capacitive), then it does not work at all.
As deRusett argues, the pain is really to switch between naked and on, so damn hard to remove that clipped screen protector. I wish one could choose temporarily between the full case with and without the screen protector.
The great thing is I can let my kids play with it and I can toss it in my bag without worrying to scratch it.05-30-11 07:43 AM
- what i now have after cleaning the screen, is that i can no longer select text or bring he pop bup menu over html links since the screen will start shaking around the position when my finger is layingm anyboey had that annoying obsetvation? could it be due to the cleaning? when i leave my finer in one position on the screen, it starts shaking then zoom then brings the top menu...weird
e05-31-11 04:12 AM
- BlackBerry PlayBook Forums
- BlackBerry PlayBook
Will the Otterbox Defender mess with bezel gestures?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD