OK, for those who say to side-load, whats the point, buy a Galaxy Tab!

Do I think apps will come? Lets put this logically, if you were to develop an app, spend many many hours working your @$$ off on it hoping to gain a few dollars back would you pick Playbook?

Now read this:

You Win, RIM! (An Open Letter To RIM's Developer Relations)
    So you post a link from over a year ago. Was this person around in the early days of iOS or android? I bet their tools weren't so great either in the beginning. Seems I hear it has improved leaps and bounds since then. But meh, what do I know.
    03-09-12 09:01 AM
    Yeah, actually I would... Actually I would make my app as cross-platform as possible and therefore increase my revenue by offering it to the broadest range of devices available...

Now regarding app world, as I said before, RIM had an offer to give away free playbook to anyone submitting an app that would being approved... Look at new arrivals and judge of the quality by yourself, it's crap!

Even RIM seems to be aware that a huge load of low quality app are making it to the App World... here's a little twitter convo I had with Alec Saunders yesterday:

Click to view quoted image
    Yes it's frightening, some of the apps seem directly ported over from Apps Lib which is the app market for unapproved Android tablets, usually cheap aftermarket garbage. Big Buck Bunny is the demo video for these tablets. Big Buck Bunny is now in the BB App World. If any tech journalists gets wind of this ,the criticisms will be harsh, brutal and justified. These apps could seriously damage the reputation of the PlayBook ,which has already been slandered.
    RicThot likes this.
    03-09-12 09:02 AM
    Anyone happen to look at the date of SugarMouth's link??? Well over a year ago.

YES A YEAR OLD LINK! Old news and changes made.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-09-12 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Wrong poster
    DMitch likes this.
    03-09-12 09:11 AM
    One thing that is certain (as far as I can tell) if PB keeps its price point, or doesn't go up a heck of a lot, it will dominate as the majority of people aren't buying tablets to turn on their oven or open their garage door. The door probably came with a remote anyway.

I would think the two main reasons people buy them are business and entertainment.

If purchased for business then now with OS2, it really can't be beat. Adding bridge if you have a BB phone (I don't) is an added bonus. If Apple had done that, had bridge for the iPhone and iPad, then they would be up their being heralded at the world geniuses. With almost full GPS capability coming with Magellan Compass update, it blasts the wifi version of iPad out of the water there.

For entertainment, there are a zillion games, flash, add your own movies, visit sites such as crackle and veetle and stream. It really is endless. Sometimes I think we get so picky. The more we are offered, the more we want. Never satisfied.

2 cameras, HD video and you can keep it handy in your pocket to catch those moments. Although ideally a dedicated camera is better, the PB is faster.

I think we now forget that for $199 vs $399 - $499 and up for others with 16GB we have the steal of the century.

Someone said if I want android apps go buy a Galaxy Tab. Sure, I'll spend an extra $300 - $400 so I can have a few more games and Skype. And really crappy cameras. Or if I had bought it instead of my PB an extra $100. Although I got mine for less through a RIM employee.

For what it offers, you get a lot more bang for your buck than any other tablet can offer. By far.

As for the huge Android Market vs. the limited PB customer base. I don't have the link handy, but the developer who did Solar System Explorer was surprised to find his PB app outsold his Android app. So sometimes the larger market isn't the best.

Still lots of apps coming. I bought PicShop last night and its a great photo editing app. One more off of the list of have to haves.
    Unfortunately we live in a society that is driven by advertising which is designed to inspire fear,envy and dissatisfaction. These emotions are manipulated to get people to buy things they really don't want or need because they are often afraid of being judged. I really don't care about Netflix or Skype, I just don't want RIM to be judged unfairly and dismissed for superficial reasons.
    03-09-12 09:30 AM
    This is my issue.

Developers tripped over themselves to put out Apps for iPad, I understand Apple is easier to develop for, has likely better developement tools but it's not like RIM has not worked hard to improve their process as well toolsets. They are embracing open standards so the port to Playbook should be easy. Like others have said it's easy money when the current AppWorld is dearth of let's call it AAA Apps.

It also annoys me to no end NBC seems to be Apple's media marketing machine. They had a segment on the Today show gushing about the new iPad, I'm sorry I don't see them do that for other technology releases. Apple has the US media in their pocket and use it very effectively.

What annoys me more is it's now almost a full year since Playbook was released (and yes understand SDK, NDK were just released) but there is not ONE major US App on AppWorld

- USA Today
    - Wall Street Journal
    - MSCNBC
    - BING
    - Kindle
    - TV Networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, HBO, ESPN etc)

Getting those would help the consumer side, it's ridiculous these Apps get released for (the now dead) Web OS and Windows Phone (which has a 10th of RIM's market). The issue is more so is many of these arein a huge arms race for controlling their own "ecosystem" Amazon, Google, Microsoft have bigger pockets and other verticals they can leverage to get developers on board.

I have spoke to many RIM executives as well and a certain fruit company is outright blocking some App Devs from porting Apps or they will face their Apps being buried and "delayed" being approved. It's a vicious game going on and me as a consumer I feel this is being abused. So either I "Conform" and adopt iOS or I miss out on these Apps.

Adding further insult is the Playbook browser is capable of rendering these websites and yet is blocked. RIM needs to lace up their Sh1T kickers and start pushing back.
    Last edited by Frank Castle; 03-09-12 at 09:55 AM.
    03-09-12 09:52 AM
    This is my issue.

Developers tripped over themselves to put out Apps for iPad, I understand Apple is easier to develop for, has likely better developement tools but it's not like RIM has not worked hard to improve their process as well toolsets. They are embracing open standards so the port to Playbook should be easy. Like others have said it's easy money when the current AppWorld is dearth of let's call it AAA Apps.

It also annoys me to no end NBC seems to be Apple's media marketing machine. They had a segment on the Today show gushing about the new iPad, I'm sorry I don't see them do that for other technology releases. Apple has the US media in their pocket and use it very effectively.

What annoys me more is it's now almost a full year since Playbook was released (and yes understand SDK, NDK were just released) but there is not ONE major US App on AppWorld

- USA Today
    - Wall Street Journal
    - MSCNBC
    - BING
    - Kindle

Getting those would help the consumer side, it's ridiculous these Apps get released for (the now dead) Web OS and Windows Phone (which has a 10th of RIM's market). The issue is more so is many of these arein a huge arms race for controlling their own "ecosystem" Amazon, Google, Microsoft have bigger pockets and other verticals they can leverage to get developers on board.

I have spoke to many RIM executives as well and a certain fruit company is outright blocking some App Devs from porting Apps or they will face their Apps being buried and "delayed" being approved. It's a vicious game going on and me as a consumer I feel this is being abused. So either I "Conform" and adopt iOS or I miss out on these Apps.

Adding further insult is the Playbook browser is capable of rendering these websites and yet is blocked. RIM needs to lace up their kickers and start pushing back.
    I have to ask but what would a bing app provide over simply going to bing.com?
    03-09-12 09:56 AM
    Anyone happen to look at the date of RicThot's link??? Well over a year ago.

YES A YEAR OLD LINK! Old news and changes made.
    Wait, what link are you talking about?

The link to the snapshot of the Twitter exchange I had with Alec Saunders? It happened yesterday, it's not one year old ?!?!

Wouldn't you be confused with SugarMouth's post instead, which links to a Feb 2011 article ???
    03-09-12 10:17 AM
    Wait, what link are you talking about?

The link to the snapshot of the Twitter exchange I had with Alec Saunders? It happened yesterday, it's not one year old ?!?!

Wouldn't you be confused with SugarMouth's post instead, which links to a Feb 2011 article ???
    Sorry Sir, I have corrected my mistake. Hope it wasn't something subliminal LOL
    03-09-12 10:30 AM
    One thing that is certain (as far as I can tell) if PB keeps its price point, or doesn't go up a heck of a lot, it will dominate as the majority of people aren't buying tablets to turn on their oven or open their garage door. The door probably came with a remote anyway.

I would think the two main reasons people buy them are business and entertainment.

If purchased for business then now with OS2, it really can't be beat. Adding bridge if you have a BB phone (I don't) is an added bonus. If Apple had done that, had bridge for the iPhone and iPad, then they would be up their being heralded at the world geniuses. With almost full GPS capability coming with Magellan Compass update, it blasts the wifi version of iPad out of the water there.

For entertainment, there are a zillion games, flash, add your own movies, visit sites such as crackle and veetle and stream. It really is endless. Sometimes I think we get so picky. The more we are offered, the more we want. Never satisfied.

2 cameras, HD video and you can keep it handy in your pocket to catch those moments. Although ideally a dedicated camera is better, the PB is faster.

I think we now forget that for $199 vs $399 - $499 and up for others with 16GB we have the steal of the century.

Someone said if I want android apps go buy a Galaxy Tab. Sure, I'll spend an extra $300 - $400 so I can have a few more games and Skype. And really crappy cameras. Or if I had bought it instead of my PB an extra $100. Although I got mine for less through a RIM employee.

For what it offers, you get a lot more bang for your buck than any other tablet can offer. By far.

As for the huge Android Market vs. the limited PB customer base. I don't have the link handy, but the developer who did Solar System Explorer was surprised to find his PB app outsold his Android app. So sometimes the larger market isn't the best.

Still lots of apps coming. I bought PicShop last night and its a great photo editing app. One more off of the list of have to haves.
    People keep saying they got the PB for business. What business are you in, Angry Bird tester? Who buys a 7" half-@ss laptop for business? If you're serious about working, you would get a laptop. All tablets are toys. Your life would not change without the PB. I can count the # of times I've used Bridge on 1 finger. If Apple came out with, we would all say how useless it is.

A zillion games in App World? Is zillion in Spanish for 10? OS2 did nothing but made 20 nerds happy and disappointed the rest (see numerous complaining posts). I agree at $200 the PB is a bargain. But something is seriously wrong when the underpowered Kindle Fire is crushing PB sales. I think we all can agree that the PB does everything better than the Fire. Everything except for the apps selection. People are choosing the apps over the hardware. Why can't fanboys and RIM see that?
    03-09-12 10:31 AM
    This is my issue.

- USA Today
    - Wall Street Journal
    - MSCNBC
    - BING
    - Kindle

Adding further insult is the Playbook browser is capable of rendering these websites and yet is blocked. RIM needs to lace up their Sh1T kickers and start pushing back.
    Yes I'm surprised about the Wall Street Journal given RIM's enterprise platform. I'm not surprised by NBC which is owned by General Electric who has substantial defense contracts,as does Apple ,so its in their interests to support each other.
    03-09-12 10:43 AM
    As I see it, RIM had a problem from the getgo with the PB by choosing to go their own way with their own operating system, rather than making an android device as most of the other manufacturers have/had. Look what happened to HP, who also had their own operating system. When the first android tablets came out, there already existed a whole universe of apps available, even if they were basically phone apps. When the PB came out, there was next to nothing available. And Blackberry then priced their tablets on a par with the ipad and the higher end android tablets. So when a typical consumer who was thinking about getting a tablet looked at the market, they saw the ipad, with tons of apps available, the android tablets, also with tons of apps, and the PB, with few apps, and all platforms priced about the same. Who, in that universe, outside of the hardcore Blackberry types, would choose the PB over the competition.
    So, Blackberry found itself in the vicious cycle of no apps, no sales, and since there were no sales, no apps. Why would any app developers spend time, money and resources to create apps for a tablet that no one had. Ultimately, I assume, Blackberry figured out that the way to attract app developers was to significantly increase sales, and the way to do that was to slash their prices. How many of us on this board bought their Playbooks at the fire sale prices? I'm assuming that sales of the Playbook have increased dramatically since the sale started. The point is that it's numbers and numbers only that will attract developers, and the numbers for the Playbook have probably dramatically increased, but only recently. Give the developers a little time to reevaluate the situation and then catch up.
    Good that they have their own os. This is one of reasons why I bought and support playbook. General rule of thumb is that the bigger risk the higher potential rewards are.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-09-12 10:50 AM
    People keep saying they got the PB for business. What business are you in, Angry Bird tester? Who buys a 7" half-@ss laptop for business? If you're serious about working, you would get a laptop. All tablets are toys. Your life would not change without the PB. I can count the # of times I've used Bridge on 1 finger. If Apple came out with, we would all say how useless it is.

A zillion games in App World? Is zillion in Spanish for 10? OS2 did nothing but made 20 nerds happy and disappointed the rest (see numerous complaining posts). I agree at $200 the PB is a bargain. But something is seriously wrong when the underpowered Kindle Fire is crushing PB sales. I think we all can agree that the PB does everything better than the Fire. Everything except for the apps selection. People are choosing the apps over the hardware. Why can't fanboys and RIM see that?
    It's not just the apps, it's the convenience issues as well. EG using and iPad or Kindle the ability to get books, movies, and music is all a key part of the operating system. Everything is tailored to people being able to easily get content. Another example, when you buy media related iOS apps, AirPlay is generally built into them. Everything feels like it's built to work together, even the 3rd party apps. I am really enjoying my Blackberry but it just doesn't have that.

As far as the business vs. entertainment discussion, it's really not that hard to appeal to both markets. There is a middle ground between not providing basic apps, and providing 50000 apps. There are a few main functions that people want from a tablet, and RIM just didn't address a few. I actually mainly do use the Playbook for business. I find a laptop bulky, and my phone to small to type large emails on. So it fills a nice void. But, I'd be crazy not to want to hook Netflix up to the TV and watch something with it as well. A basic task on any other tablet that you can't do with the Playbook.
    DMitch likes this.
    03-09-12 10:51 AM

I use it for work all the time.great tool in sales business. You do not know how well/bad pb is selling now. So do not make statements without concrete #. Same is for kindle fire
    03-09-12 10:53 AM
    I use it for work all the time.great tool in sales business. You do not know how well/bad pb is selling now. So do not make statements without concrete #. Same is for kindle fire
    Hey bitek,

Can you please provide some ways and apps you are using to help you in sales and/or meeting & client management? I would be truly grateful.

INTERMISSION MESSAGE...it's a given that the PB is a great hardware. The point of discussion is NOT to argue how it meets/exceed/or still in need for each user...lets not go there (please?)

It's also a given that few/some/many PB owners still are not able to fully maximize the potential of PB to perform WORK that some apps could easily provide...i think all rational minds could agree on this point.

If you conduct any meetings at all...wouldn't one app that enables you to take notes anyway you like, organize them, search, export/email etc. Even better, how about having 2-3 apps to choose from? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Question is...do you think developers/RIM will provide more options to QUALITY/FUNCTIONAL BUSINESS APPS than what we currently have or are we waiting in vain?

I can handle a yes or no from RIM...but MAYBE just kills me!
    03-09-12 11:33 AM
    I think many factors are at play here. From what i read from the open letter, it seems that RIM's development process is a little more complicated as compared to iOS or Android. RIM needs to simplify the process, to make it as easy to use as possible, not just for professional developers, but for everyone who has a great idea. Some random dude may have a great idea for an app for playbook, but may not have the background in programming. Idea gone to waste.

iOS apps typically look and feel more polished than blackberry and android apps. Perhaps they attract the "right" crowd? Designers and the creative industry uses mac primarily, which is an advantage for Apple. Since they make the mac osx. Meaning their development tools can make full use of the system. Which translate to a larger percentage of developers that might be designers previously. Speculation.

Also, i think the important thing for RIM to do now is to convince the developers of the popular apps on iOS and Android to do their first app for the playbook. If the app is well received, it will spur developers on to port more of their apps over. Just take Xlabz for example. They make apps for all 3 platforms. Their apps are one of the more polished ones in app world currently. With beautiful interface and functionality. They are still releasing new apps for playbook. Uber Iris. Rovio from what i read, will be releasing angry birds in space as well on the playbook soon after the release on android. This is what we need to see. Developers coming on board, and then continuing their support for the playbook. If RIM can do that, maybe in the future (hopefully not so far), whenever we see a new app for other platforms, we can expect it to come to the playbook soon after. Wishful thinking? I sincerely hope not. I really want to see RIM succeed.
    Yes frustrating that RIM appears to be more bureaucratic,however it's also far more secure,no data mining ,no security holes that even plague the unbreachable iOS, Apple had some apps that accessed users address books and photos without their knowledge or consent. Google/Android is a free for all ,forget about it, what's yours is theirs and everyone elses. Apple does have a rigid aesthetic, which looks good at first, until everything begins to look the same. I do sometimes question RIM's taste and quality standards but I am relieved not to have to install any antivirus software or constantly monitor which apps have which permissions.
    03-09-12 11:54 AM
    I bought the PlayBook on what it can do without the enhancements of apps. If I based my tablet purchase on apps instead of "engine", I would have gone in another direction.
    The engine vs apps point you make is valid and the biggest reason the PlayBook has found a niche market, especially with hardcore BlackBerry phone users. But the majority of the consumers that purchase tablets are not BlackBerry phone users, could care less about "engine", and are only interested in the apps the tablet can run.
    Dookieman and OttawaGabe like this.
    03-09-12 12:09 PM
    Hey bitek,

Can you please provide some ways and apps you are using to help you in sales and/or meeting & client management? I would be truly grateful.

INTERMISSION MESSAGE...it's a given that the PB is a great hardware. The point of discussion is NOT to argue how it meets/exceed/or still in need for each user...lets not go there (please?)

It's also a given that few/some/many PB owners still are not able to fully maximize the potential of PB to perform WORK that some apps could easily provide...i think all rational minds could agree on this point.

If you conduct any meetings at all...wouldn't one app that enables you to take notes anyway you like, organize them, search, export/email etc. Even better, how about having 2-3 apps to choose from? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Question is...do you think developers/RIM will provide more options to QUALITY/FUNCTIONAL BUSINESS APPS than what we currently have or are we waiting in vain?

I can handle a yes or no from RIM...but MAYBE just kills me!
    I installed Catch ,Evernote and box w/50 gb
    03-09-12 12:11 PM
    The engine vs apps point you make is valid and the biggest reason the PlayBook has found a niche market, especially with hardcore BlackBerry phone users. But the majority of the consumers that purchase tablets are not BlackBerry phone users, could care less about "engine", and are only interested in the apps the tablet can run.
    Agreed. Like I said before, people care about software, not how well a tablet was designed. All these tablets are, are media consumption devices (Whether it's productivity/games/movies). If you don't have he media, people won't flock to your device. The Apple store has vasts amounts of media, Music, Apps, Movies and they all work together, same goes for Amazon, which is why it is selling well. RIM and the PlayBook do not have this, thus leading to a struggling tablet.

Apple and Amazon have had the luxury of having markets before their tablets, and people have already utilized them. Why would someone that already has media from Apple or Amazon, go out and buy a PlayBook, then have to rebuy everything from RIM, or in most cases, be unable to buy the media since RIM doesn't offer it.
    03-09-12 02:11 PM
    The Playbook's reputation has been sullied already. App developers are simply not going to invest in making apps for it. Things aren't going to change because the industry's first impression of the PB was a bad one.

Ironically this is a good time to be making apps for it, since there are so few, people would be buying your app simply because there are no other choices.
    psiclne likes this.
    03-09-12 02:34 PM
    The Playbook's reputation has been sullied already. App developers are simply not going to invest in making apps for it. Things aren't going to change because the industry's first impression of the PB was a bad one.

Ironically this is a good time to be making apps for it, since there are so few, people would be buying your app simply because there are no other choices.
    Good point...human nature, mostly will do/follow what the masses are doing e.g. When stock market crashes & when everyone is selling...great time to buy. It seems to be a great opportunity for developers w/loyal PB owners AND virtually no competition in app world! I'm totally ignorant abt the app dev but it appears to be a no brainer to make $$$ within PB app world...I just don't get it?! Maybe its RIM...any contrarian developers out there?!
    03-09-12 04:15 PM
    I for one have found everything I needed in App World but one and since OS2 I have noticed even more choices to be found for work and play. I dont care if the app is native or a repackaged Android app, it it works I am happy...

The one I have not found is an app to deal with DRM PDF files used by University of Phoenix for textbooks...
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-09-12 04:34 PM
    I'm so bummed about still no access to my Slingbox on the PlayBook that I'm considering getting the new you know what just to be able to watch my Slingbox lol.

I still have a shimmer of hope that something will be done about it
    03-09-12 04:41 PM
    Been following VP of Developer Relations @asaunders on twitter, he says they've been adding 400 apps a day plus developers are saying how QNX is by far the easiest platform to develop for so I'd have to say the app drought will soon be a thing of the past.
    03-09-12 04:56 PM

I think the BB App World is not entirely sullied, as it has only been around in a substantial form after the 2.0 update, which is about 3 weeks. I do however think that apps have to be carefully selected, so that quality is maintained. Right now what RIM has going for it is a clean reputation, so that users don't have to worry about downloading apps that compromise the security and privacy of their device, their identity and their credit card. Once trust has been violated ,it is very hard if not impossible to regain. Google wallet has hit a wall, carrier iQ caused an uproar, even contaminated versions of Angry Birds on Amazon have tainted Amazon App markets reputation. People may seem complacent but just because they are silent doesn't mean they forget or forgive. These things loom large in the imagination, even though companies try to sweep them under the rug, claiming that fears are exaggerated,the problem is fixed and it won't happen again. Every week a new scandal emerges
    03-09-12 06:00 PM
    I'd pay top dollar for an advanced word processor.
    True it is not an app you download but even better in my opinon. Try Microsoft Word web app through Skydrive. just save the Bookmark to your desktop on PB. Then you will have access to WORD, PPT, Excell, and OneNote through your browser and they are all free for prive use.
    luigigosc likes this.
    03-09-12 08:25 PM
170 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD