I've been having dropout issues as well.

life is better with root and ICS.
    10-08-12 08:06 AM
    since updating to 2.1 I see BIG improvement. In 2 days with intense use only 1 drop (instead of, like 6-10 drops a day on 2.0).

2.1 seems to help a lot, at least for me.

Ray
    10-08-12 05:36 PM
    This program will show the wifi networks around and what channel they are on. Maybe too many on the same channel close?

inSSIDer – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek
    10-08-12 05:46 PM
    Aren't you banned? Just asking.
    10-08-12 06:21 PM
    Aren't you banned? Just asking.
    Who me? ...............
    10-08-12 06:34 PM
    Since the upgrade to 2.1, my playbook can no longer connect to my main router. My 9900 connects fine, but when I try to connect my playbook, I get an error that it cannot acquire an ip address. I tried all the above, except for the security wipe, which I'm hesitant to do. If I do the wipe, I should back it up 1st?
    10-08-12 07:31 PM
    Yes a wipe will erase everything.
    run_eim likes this.
    10-08-12 07:32 PM
    I have zero problems with either PlayBook in my household that a simple hard reset or other basic troubleshooting have not cured.

The only possible exception might be when I was having a lot if browser related issues which I fixed with a security wipe which I think is basic but some might see as beyond basic. .
    10-08-12 07:41 PM
    It will erase everything so just do a back up first with both DM and the PIM manager so you don't lose your contact and calendar information.
    10-08-12 07:43 PM
    Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. Since my calendar and contacts are sync'd with Google, there is no reason to back them up, no? I think, though i should move any files/vids/music I may have to my cloud account.
    10-08-12 08:14 PM
    My new 64GB PB kept losing WiFi where my old 32 GB PB was OK.

After deleting the saved WiFi settings and re-installing them, the problem seems to have been solved.

When I bought the 64GB PB, I had restored all of my 32GB PB content and settings to my 64GB PB and it seems that this meant that the WiFi settings were not optimised for the new 64GB PB.
    10-09-12 02:08 AM
    We have a problem with WIFI access in our home. Router is in office at one end of single story one-storey home. Signal at far end of house is weak. With our laptops or with smartphones, connections still work. But the Playbook will only connect if it is in the same room or the next adjacent room to the router. Seems sensitivity of it's receiver or antenna is much less than the other devices.

I tested the signal using the Playbook. If I stand right next to the router, it reads about -36dBm. At my desk next to my laptop and wireless phone it reads -60dBm at present. If I move away by about 6ft it goes to -45dBm. If I go to far room in house it gets to -85dBm or worse.

I checked signal strength with my laptop and it is at -52dBm on the desk and goes to about -70dBm at far room in house.

I have a couple of questions:
    Is my signal strength in office normal (say -50dBm)?
    Is there any reason the Playbook would be more sensitive to factor influencing signal strength that other wifi devices?

BTW - Router is a Dlink 615 on channel 11 with WPS-PK ?? (comes up as WPS Personal) Has both g and b capability.
    11-17-12 11:36 AM
    Anyone with a D-Link router having WiFi issues should start by checking the D-Link website for a firmware update. The firmware updater in the router software doesn't work properly, when I checked for updates it said none were available, but then I proceeded to the D-Link website where a new firmware was available. The changelog said it included fixes for BlackBerry connectivity issues, and I haven't had any issues on my PlayBook (nor my Torch) since then. My router is a DIR-615 Rev. C1, currently running WPA-Personal (WPA only mode, no WPA2) on Channel 1, with mixed n, b, and g capability.
    11-17-12 11:43 AM
    Anyone with a D-Link router having WiFi issues should start by checking the D-Link website for a firmware update. The firmware updater in the router software doesn't work properly, when I checked for updates it said none were available, but then I proceeded to the D-Link website where a new firmware was available. The changelog said it included fixes for BlackBerry connectivity issues, and I haven't had any issues on my PlayBook (nor my Torch) since then. My router is a DIR-615 Rev. C1, currently running WPA-Personal (WPA only mode, no WPA2) on Channel 1, with mixed n, b, and g capability.
    My router is the DIR-615 with Rev E3.
    When I query the router I get: Current Firmware Version : 5.10 Date : Fri, 26 Feb 2010
    When I check firwmare via the router it says "This firmware is the latest version."
    When I go to website, I can download firmware for E3. It has these release notes:
    DIR-615 Revision E Release Notes
    ====================================
    Firmware: 5.10NA
    Date: 09/27/2010
    1. Shipping Firmware for Hardware Revision E3.
    2. Added Language Pack option.
    Note: Works for Hardware E3 only.
    ====================================
    Firmware: 5.00NA
    Date: 03/04/2010
    1. Shipping Firmware for Hardware Revision E1.
    Haven't installed yet (have to find a cable to wire to router!)

I do get dropped connections with my laptop which is in same room, so I will try the update. But from release notes, I doubt it will do any good.

This won't get me around apparent weak reception of Playbook vs other devices.
    11-17-12 07:28 PM
    I've had my PB for more than a year now. I've been to many places with it, and I can tell you while it works very well in most places it does have Wifi connectivity issues where other devices don't suffer. It doesn't appear to be actually Wifi signal issue as the wifi indicator still shows strong signal, but internally PB is disconnected from the network, but it thinks it is still connected which requires manual Wifi on/off toggle to recover. I have this issue frequently at work, where WPA2 enterprise is the only security protocol available.

Those who never experienced Wifi issue, you're simply lucky. All my colleagues suffer from the same problem at work, but it's non-issue if Wifi is not used heavily. The problem is very clear when using apps that requires continuous connection/streaming.
    11-20-12 08:36 AM
    Those who never experienced Wifi issue, you're simply lucky. All my colleagues suffer from the same problem at work, but it's non-issue if Wifi is not used heavily. The problem is very clear when using apps that requires continuous connection/streaming.
    This last weekend, we had visitors! In these times that meant the device count was 1 desktop, 4 laptops, 2 Playbooks, one iPhone, 1 BB phone, 1 Android phone. Our router was poorly located, being in an office at one end of house. Our kitchen table is at far end of house. The Playbooks showed a signal of -90to -95 dBm there and would not work. But the phones had no trouble. In the next room, laptops and phones worked, but the Playbook would only work intermittently. Signal was in the -77 to -85 dBm range.

I have since relocated the router. It is only about 10ft closer, but is clear of computers and wireless phone base station. Signal strength at far end of house is now about -77dBm and Playbook works.

I was going to buy a better router, but for now my home problem seems to be solved.

But the testing showed that for whatever reason, the Playbook lacks the wifi reception sensitivity of other devices. I have seen this in public buildings where cell phone users can use the wifi signal, but we could not get access with the Playbook. It's a deficiency that needs fixing if the Playbook is to become mainstream for business people.
    11-20-12 08:56 AM
    ...get a pair of homeplugs, one wifi enabled. Plug the standard one into a plug socket by the router and cable into router. Then take the wifi homeplug and plug into a plug socket anywhere in your house the signal is weak. I live in a 22 room house with 4ft thick stone walls, using one router and two wifi homeplugs there isn't a room that can't get wifi. It'll cost you about �30 to do this and all your issues are yesterdays news.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 04:52 PM
    I wrote this in another thread: "Blackberry Playbook Battery is Junk After 2.1.0.1088 Update" Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-753671/

I was also having the Wifi issue after the last update and the range was somewhat an issue as well (specific to my home, just accepted that it was my Wifi setup in the house, but....I don't have the issue anymore after doing what I posted below. No more battery issues and my Wifi is working perfectly all over the house. I was only having the range issue with my PB, by the way)

Let me know if this helps anyone.

Cheers!

"Hi All, I was having a battery issue and WiFi issue since doing the update (.1088. It was driving me crazy. I did the following and all was perfect afterwards. Try it and let me know if it fixed the issue(s). Please note that his is a painstaking long process, but it work for me.

1. I remove all the data files I needed to keep(videos, Docs, Photos, Camera Pics, etc...) (not a backup). I copied them straight out to my pc in the same file structure as you plug it in as a USB drive.
    2. First Security Wipe completed and reinstalled the OS with the updates that followed, for region specific settings (always thru the Blackberry Desktop)
    3. Do not install any apps whatsoever!
    4. Second Security Wipe completed and reinstalled the OS with the updates that followed, for region specific settings (always thru the Blackberry Desktop)
    5. Do not install any apps!
    6. Third Security Wipe completed and reinstalled the OS with the updates that followed, for region specific settings (always thru the Blackberry Desktop)
    7. Now I installed one app that was using the Wifi to stay updated with various information overnight as I use my Playbook as a Beside Clock at night. (Antair: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/24399/). After 1 night of testing, my Wifi was working beatifully.
    8. The battery issue was simply gone. I tested my PB 64GB without chargin it as I would normally and it last almost a day with normal daily use with Bridge Connected.
    9. Copied back all my files.

Voila!

So there you have my solution, a little lenghty process but resolved all my issues in 2 days. The security wipes took a little over 3 hours to complete as I was doing other stuff while the updates were running. I think that the incremental updates that RIM uses works in general for most. But I have notice way too many users have issues after an update(big or small). I always find that a clean install is always the best way to go. Somewhat of a pain, but avoids some of these anoying issues and reduces the amount of time spent troubleshooting if you get what I mean. I have sometimes spent more time trying to figure out the problem than simply security wipe and install fresh.

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers!

Go RIM Go!
    BB10 can't come soon enough!! "
    11-20-12 07:02 PM
    My son and I each have a playbook. Both updated to the most recent o/s. My playbook will show for eg. -35db while his sitting near by shows a wifi strength of -65db. I can roam fine around the house and yard, he has to stay within 20 feet or the wifi router. I can turn my device completely off (so as to not hog the wifi channel, we are both using channel 8)and he still gets a weak, weak signal. I've turned off all but necessary things on his (bluetooth, hdmi = all off) in case they were interfering somehow. I know his playbook with weak wifi pickup (weak since day one of device purchase) is a hardware issue. It is not a router or a config issue.
    Does anyone know what recourse we might have. The forums tend to say that RIM really isn't owning up to the issue and is trying to pass the buck elsewhere.
    12-27-12 11:08 PM
    So far I haven't had any issues with the PB and my router. I've got mine set to WPA2-PSK [AES] and it's been working fine. Recently I upgraded my router to a dual band router . The PB wanted to connect to the 2.4ghz band more often. I removed that network from the PB and added the 5ghz network. It's been working fine. There's still some checker boarding in the browser but I've never had connection issues. So far so good.
    12-27-12 11:28 PM
    So far I haven't had any issues with the PB and my router. I've got mine set to WPA2-PSK [AES] and it's been working fine. Recently I upgraded my router to a dual band router . The PB wanted to connect to the 2.4ghz band more often. I removed that network from the PB and added the 5ghz network. It's been working fine. There's still some checker boarding in the browser but I've never had connection issues. So far so good.
    I'm very curious as to how you accomplish this? I have a dual band router also and I can't tell/or set it to connect to the 5ghz band...all my playbook tells me is it is connected to my router...doesn't say which band tho...
    12-28-12 12:35 AM
146 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD