Not sure if it's my pb or my router.
    I lose my wifi connection, it says it's connected but the internet doesn't work.
    I have to turn off and on my router and then it will work.

Think it's the pb or my router???
    01-03-12 01:00 PM
    Did your other WIFI device/devices work while your Playbook did not? If only your PB did not work then, it was an issue with your PB. If other devices did not work also, then it must be an issue with your router or modem. I reset my router or modem once in a while. It is the same issue like yours. It would show connected but internet (all devices) does not work. However, my Gmail (using my laptop) would still work using Google Chrome.
    01-03-12 01:28 PM
    All devices most of the time, I wonder if it's the modem or router now...
    However like you, sometimes my laptop still works.
    01-03-12 01:33 PM
    Actually my laptop would not work just like my PB. Only email applications work. I think Office Outlook on my laptop would still work and my Gmail on Google Chrome works. Internet is not working in all cases. I have not done a pinging to test my connection as it is an easy fix by just turning off and on my router. I do it by accessing via the software and it would reset and connect again in about 40-45 seconds.
    I have a feeling that the router is receiving but not sending but this is just a guess.
    Last edited by EWY; 01-03-12 at 02:56 PM.
    01-03-12 01:51 PM
    It is your router. i had the same problem. i went out and picked up a more powerful router and have had no problems whatsoever. i was losing connection 30-40 times a day, now, not at all.
    01-03-12 02:51 PM
    Not sure if it's my pb or my router.
    I lose my wifi connection, it says it's connected but the internet doesn't work.
    I have to turn off and on my router and then it will work.

Think it's the pb or my router???
    Like a previous poster, I concur its your router. I faced a similar situation. My 7 year old belkin router finally started dropping the internet connection numerous times and needed the router to be restarted for the problem to be fixed.
    Got myself a Cisco router, everything works perfect now.
    The funny part was that I couldnt decipher the problem with my laptop as it kept dropping the connection, but when I got the PB and it started doing the same...... I knew spot on, had to be the router and not the device/s.
    Now this is another good story of how the PB saved my day
    01-03-12 02:56 PM
    @RoccoI
    Before you invest in new equipment and if you live in a condo or apartment, read my post on resetting your WIFI channel. It might work for you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-condo-679899/
    Hgouck likes this.
    01-03-12 03:22 PM
    Changing the default channel on your router might help
    01-03-12 03:26 PM
    just had a week of problems with wi-fi connections issues.
    i found by turning the wi-fi off then back on, on the playbook resolved it for a short while.
    ive spoken to blackberry today who 1st suggested a hard reset (power and volume + ) depressed for 20 seconds.
    they called me back this evening however it had failed so they took me threw a firmware update.
    im still putting the pb threw its paces at the moment but 2 hours in and it hasent failed yet and it was seizing up every 20 minutes or so.

hope that helps.
    01-03-12 03:43 PM
    This may not help everyone but go into Router Settings and disable the N standard and use b/g.
    01-03-12 04:29 PM
    If you have an "N" router and it is over 2 years old, you need to make sure your router's firmware is up to date. The official N standard was released in October 2009. Prior to that, router manufacturer's N protocols varied widely.

The other thing you can do immediately is force your router to connect using B/G.

You can also take your PB to a free wi-fi hotspot like McDonalds and check if you have any connection problems. If you do, it probably is the PB, otherwise it is the router.

I also own a Kindle Fire and the same connection issues are being reported there too. The problem seems to be with pre-N routers. The PB will first try to connect at the highest level, which is N. If there are problems with the connection, the PB will not automatically drop to B/G. It may disconnect or hang, depending on the router's manufacturer. Some pre-N routers were better than others and closer to the final standard.
    Last edited by djnshores; 01-03-12 at 04:43 PM.
    01-03-12 04:37 PM
    I also had this issue, ever since I have moved my router (Dlink 615) onto my desk I`ve had no problems.
    Try that before you invest into a new router. Hope it helps.
    01-03-12 05:18 PM
    Ok, so I've also had this issue with my Playbook dropping the WiFi connection after 10 or so minutes in my house but still showing that it is connected. My other WiFi laptops have had issues connecting as well. So I want to sum up what I'm reading here and make sure I got this right.

You guys are saying that if my Playbook shows that it is connected but it won't work and all my laptops have connection troubles then my router needs to have one of the following done -
    • Set connection to b/g instead of N
    • Change router channel
    • Replace router all together

This is a Belkin I have had for a few years connected to my Comcast router. Should I just jump to a new router and cut out all the other b/s? I've got 3 other computers in my house trying to connect through WiFi along with my Playbook. I would love to make this thing more stable. It seems like some days it works fine, others, not so much.
    01-03-12 06:05 PM
    @TerribleTim68
    If you want to spend the money, go ahead and get a new router.

The reason to set connection to b/g instead of n only applies to router that have dual or multiple bands and the router has not been updated to the latest software concerning the n band. That means you could buy a new multi band router with n band. N band has a faster speed.

If you have a channel issue, new router might not help if you stay with non-n bands. The reason I say this is I noticed most of the folks around my condo are using 2.4 GHz not 5.0 GHz (n band). If you get a non n band router, you still need to check what channel is less crowded. If you live in a house with no close neighbor then this would not be an issue.

Regardless of what type of router you are going to use, I would suggest you the scan the WIFI signals around you just in case.
    01-03-12 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD