Can anyone give me a simple explanation of why the wifi indicator icon on my playbook drifts between 1 bar and 5 bars when I am absolutely stationary. And does the number of bars indicate the data transfer rate ??
    10-24-12 02:18 PM
    The number of bars indicates the signal strength. A stronger signal means it is less sensitive to interference, which in turn could mean a higher data rate. The fluctuation may be caused by all sorts of things: other wifi networks on adjacent bands, active BlueTooth devices, other forms of interference. Some routers will also lower their transmitter power when idle, which would result in a lower indicator.

Or perhaps you are - as Steve Jobs said - just holding your device the wrong way ;-)
    malcymalc likes this.
    10-24-12 03:11 PM
    try to change the wi-fi channel on your router. ( from 1 to 11).
    malcymalc likes this.
    10-24-12 03:20 PM
    The number of bars indicates the signal strength. A stronger signal means it is less sensitive to interference, which in turn could mean a higher data rate. The fluctuation may be caused by all sorts of things: other wifi networks on adjacent bands, active BlueTooth devices, other forms of interference. Some routers will also lower their transmitter power when idle, which would result in a lower indicator.

Or perhaps you are - as Steve Jobs said - just holding your device the wrong way ;-)
    Actually, as posted a few months ago under the Beta, there is some correlation between where you hold the PB and WiFi signal strength. If you hold it in the lower left corner (landscape mode), the strength does improve (unless already maxed). I don't know why (perhaps the antenna is there?), but that's what happens with my PB, as was suggested by others.
    malcymalc likes this.
    10-24-12 03:54 PM
    If I am not mistaken, the wifi antenna is in the upper left corner of your PB in landscape mode. If you cup your hand over that corner, you can see your signal drop in about 5 seconds. Once your hand is removed the signal comes back.
    malcymalc likes this.
    10-24-12 04:01 PM