View Poll Results: Did you know about this already?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- this is old news and I dont care about it

13 11.61%
  • Yes -- this is old news and I'm loving it

85 75.89%
  • No - simply amazing!

14 12.50%
  • No - don't really care

0 0%
    I just discovered something amazing (and forgive me if it was already posted)...

If you go to settings / Storage & Sharing... and enable File Sharing and Wi-Fi Sharing you can ACCESS YOUR PLAYBOOK FILE SYSTEM AS A NETWORK SHARE FROM YOUR LOCAL HOME PC !!!!!!

You need to also click on Properties under Network Identification and change Network Name to something friendly like "PlayBook", Workgroup to the name of your Windows Workgroup or Domain and username to your PC username.

Then go to Password Protect and put the same Password as you use on PC and....

from PC go to \\Playbook and you get to your files on playbook via network!!!!!!!

This is @*#)&$*@&%*$@&* amazing........ wow....
    04-22-11 01:04 AM
    lol, old news for sure man. gotta keep up wit the crackberry posts!

what i was hoping for was the ability to access my pc's files from the playbook and drag them over.
    04-22-11 01:19 AM
    lol, old news for sure man. gotta keep up wit the crackberry posts!

what i was hoping for was the ability to access my pc's files from the playbook and drag them over.
    Works on a USB cable and it should work on wifi once they get the OS all ready to ship...I mean where it should have been to ship
    04-22-11 08:10 AM
    I just discovered something amazing (and forgive me if it was already posted)...

If you go to settings / Storage & Sharing... and enable File Sharing and Wi-Fi Sharing you can ACCESS YOUR PLAYBOOK FILE SYSTEM AS A NETWORK SHARE FROM YOUR LOCAL HOME PC !!!!!!

You need to also click on Properties under Network Identification and change Network Name to something friendly like "PlayBook", Workgroup to the name of your Windows Workgroup or Domain and username to your PC username.

Then go to Password Protect and put the same Password as you use on PC and....

from PC go to \\Playbook and you get to your files on playbook via network!!!!!!!

This is @*#)&$*@&%*$@&* amazing........ wow....
    Would you be able to tell me step-by-step how to set this up? I'm not that good with computers and I really want to use this feature. I have a 32-bit Win7 comp.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 08:19 AM
    Any idea if the PlayBook supports Windows 7 Homegroups? That would kinda rock.
    04-22-11 09:36 AM
    Would you be able to tell me step-by-step how to set this up? I'm not that good with computers and I really want to use this feature. I have a 32-bit Win7 comp.

I didn't have to set up anything. On your computer click the windows icon then computer. You should see it under network(bottom left of screen).If your password protected the default username is playbook then your password.
    04-22-11 09:41 AM
    I have this set up with my PB and my laptop. I transferred 5gig worth of songs and a couple videos via this method a day or two ago. Excellent feature.
    04-22-11 09:42 AM
    Works on a USB cable and it should work on wifi once they get the OS all ready to ship...I mean where it should have been to ship
    File sharing over wifi works now. I connected to the Playbook as a network share on my MacBook and transferred a bunch of music and pictures over my wireless home network yesterday, no cable.
    04-22-11 11:01 AM
    My wifi sharing does not work
    When I connect through cable, my playbook shows up under computer AND network. However once I unplug the cable, both disappear. I also tried manually add wireless device, but my laptop cannot find my playbook.
    I want wifi sharing!! Everytime I plug in the cable, the battery gets charged. I don't think this is very good for the battery.
    BTW, I am on Win 7 32bit.
    04-22-11 12:41 PM
    it would be a lot better if you could see your network drives on your playbook.
    04-22-11 01:06 PM
    Network drives on the playbook would be awesome.

Thanks for the thread and the process of making it work. I didn't know the username.

Also somewhat related. How do I change the name of the Playbook? Right now it is is called "PLAYBOOK-2024".

Thanks
    04-22-11 02:06 PM
    My wifi sharing does not work
    When I connect through cable, my playbook shows up under computer AND network. However once I unplug the cable, both disappear. I also tried manually add wireless device, but my laptop cannot find my playbook.
    I want wifi sharing!! Everytime I plug in the cable, the battery gets charged. I don't think this is very good for the battery.
    BTW, I am on Win 7 32bit.
    I'm having the same problem. Not sure if it is a set up issue. Windows 7 issue, or router issue...
    04-22-11 02:22 PM
    I just found out about this yesturday, thanks to Crackberry, and its awesome! It would indeed be cool if the opposite was true, I could see my shared drive on the PB, but i'm not complaining too much!
    04-22-11 02:28 PM
    [
    I]My wifi sharing does not work
    cannot find my playbook. I want wifi sharing!!
    BTW, I am on Win 7 32bit. [/I]
    Couple things to check
    1. Verify Wireless is working on PB(Can you browse the internet?)
    2. Make sure your PB Network Workgroup name matches the one on your pc
    3. Make sure you have file sharing or at least one folder sharing on your pc
    4. Verify no blocking by a firewall like Norton (Sometime, you can see a network device in Norton, and even it is set to SHARED, it won't work unless you change its permissions to TRUSTED"
    04-22-11 04:17 PM
    on playbook, go to settings (gears). check the IP address under about/Network.
    now bring up storage & sharing screen in settings -- enable wi-fi sharing. default username is Playbook, password is blank.
    On your PC, go to start->run, enter \\1.2.3.4\media (replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP of your playbook). Login with username/password indicated above.

(meant to mention, this is in response to Oycz's post.. first post here.. should have quoted I guess
    Last edited by JustAnotherBeerbot; 04-22-11 at 07:34 PM. Reason: ammendment
    04-22-11 07:32 PM
    Network drives on the playbook would be awesome.

Thanks for the thread and the process of making it work. I didn't know the username.

Also somewhat related. How do I change the name of the Playbook? Right now it is is called "PLAYBOOK-2024".

Thanks
    In your settings under storage and sharing, click the properties button under network identification. You can change the name there.

The wifi sharing is great. I copied and pasted some photo albums from my PC to the playbook network drive and just walked away. While the transfer was taking place, I fooled around with the playbook browser and other apps while I waited. Pretty cool to have that kind of freedom during file transfers!
    04-22-11 08:01 PM
    I have this set up with my PB and my laptop. I transferred 5gig worth of songs and a couple videos via this method a day or two ago. Excellent feature.
    How long did this transfer take you? My transfers over wifi N seem to take transfer at a snails pace of 1 MB/s.
    04-22-11 08:42 PM
    if my laptop has wireless n, will wireless file transfer be faster then if I only had g?

04-22-11 09:05 PM
    I like it/ i get 650kbps-1.2mbps transfer rates
    04-22-11 09:22 PM
    if you can't find the playbook network on the computer, right click and click "refresh."
    04-22-11 09:46 PM
    I like it/ i get 650kbps-1.2mbps transfer rates
    Really? 1.2MB/s is pretty darn slow. I was honestly hoping for at least 10, it not more over my N network since my laptop is hooked up to it at 300mbs
    04-22-11 10:52 PM
    Really? 1.2MB/s is pretty darn slow. I was honestly hoping for at least 10, it not more over my N network since my laptop is hooked up to it at 300mbs
    The flash filesystem on the device seems to get around 5-6MB/sec write speed. 802.11g will get around 5.5MB/sec. File transfer onto the device is only getting about 1+MB/sec.
    Read from the flash filesystem gets around 10MB/s. File transfer off of the device is clocking at just over 2MB/sec.
    There seems to be a bottleneck somewhere in the network/filesystem stack.

speedtest.net gives me the same throughput as my laptop on my home network (7MB down/ 4MB up), so the problem is not the network stack per se.

The good news is we can probably expect a large improvement in media transfer times in a future update.
    Last edited by JustAnotherBeerbot; 04-23-11 at 02:02 AM. Reason: correction. 2MB/sec when transferring wireless-to-wired host.
    04-23-11 01:55 AM
    I have a patriot box office and it found the playbook as a network drive on the system. i was able to stream videos that I took using the playbook's camera using the pbo. Awesome!
    04-23-11 02:34 AM
    File sharing over wifi works now. I connected to the Playbook as a network share on my MacBook and transferred a bunch of music and pictures over my wireless home network yesterday, no cable.
    How did you do that with the macbook?
    04-25-11 11:08 AM
    How did you do that with the macbook?
    First, ensure wifi sharing is enabled on your playbook under settings->storage&sharing.

Find the IP of the playbook under settings->about->network

On a MacBook, in finder: Go->Conenct To Server. (or command-K).
    Then enter "smb://the.ip.of.your.playbook".
    Default username should be Playbook. No password (unless you changed it).

Also, in Storage&Sharing on the playbook, you can change the Network Identification so that your device is on the same workgroup as your MacBook.. then you should be able to just browse for it using Go->Network in the Finder. (to find your mac's workgroup, it's in system preferences under network->advanced->WINS).
    04-25-11 11:20 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD