After I installed the latest update yesterday, my playbook has been unable to connect to my home wifi network. I haven't tried it on any other networks yet, but it was obviously working before the update, as it downloaded the update through wifi.

Anyone else having a similar problem?
    12-07-11 12:50 PM
    Yes all over the place here. Try deleting the profile, reboot and redo the connection. Some had to adjust their router settings. Look at at the other threads, seems no rhyme or reason.
    12-07-11 12:57 PM
    After I installed the latest update yesterday, my playbook has been unable to connect to my home wifi network. I haven't tried it on any other networks yet, but it was obviously working before the update, as it downloaded the update through wifi.

Deja Vu, all over again?

Try a hard-reset. If that doesn't work, after doing a backup, try forcing a reload of .6067 through the DM.

Good Luck.
    12-07-11 01:00 PM
    I have put off the NEWEST upgrade. Having just done a Security Wipe and 7 hour data restoration, I have no interest in potentially repeating that anytime soon.

But why can't Rim get this wifi stuff right. It is not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings about a massive OS2 upgrade.
    12-07-11 02:46 PM
    Hi all,

I have just purchased a playbook. I am having a problem with wifi. I am able to access my home wifi just fine. I can also access "open" wifi from the surrounding areas (eg colleges) with full signal strenght . But I am not able to access my college's secured wifi. The school's IT team spent an hour with it, but could not get it to connecto to the school's connection. They tried adding my playbook's MAC address, manually connect etc... nothing works. The signal that my playbook picks up is rather sporadic, too. Sometimes it's 0 bar, sometimes it's full bar, sometimes it's in between. All can happen in a few seconds while I'm standing at one spot. The playbook can't even pick up the signal when I'm standing under the wifi-hot spot (router).

Anyone knows what's going on? My playbook does have the latest version of the official OS.

Thank you very much for your help.
    12-07-11 03:06 PM
    Yes all over the place here. Try deleting the profile, reboot and redo the connection. Some had to adjust their router settings. Look at at the other threads, seems no rhyme or reason.
    What did people have to adjust in their router settings?

Edit: Still not able to connect. I will enter the password and network correctly, but then all 3 attempts to connect to the network will fail. All the while my phone, laptop, and xbox are connecting just fine to the wireless.
    Last edited by 3migo; 12-07-11 at 04:59 PM.
    12-07-11 04:51 PM
    it must be individual unit problem. first i bought 16gb it worked amazing then I returned it for 32gb and this one has wifi issues and other little things. going today to replace it but if the next one has the same issues i`m done with pb. i love the bridge option and my 16gb worked amazing, i can live with limited apps selection but this simple wifi connectivity not working is too much.
    12-07-11 05:01 PM
    it must be individual unit problem. first i bought 16gb it worked amazing then I returned it for 32gb and this one has wifi issues and other little things. going today to replace it but if the next one has the same issues i`m done with pb. i love the bridge option and my 16gb worked amazing, i can live with limited apps selection but this simple wifi connectivity not working is too much.
    Here's the thing though... It worked flawlessly before. I've had this thing for months with no wifi problems before, until last night when I installed the update. When the playbook woke back up from its reboot after the update, it would not connect to the wireless.
    12-07-11 05:18 PM
    I upgraded last night and my Playbook still connects well to the wi-fi router. I don't recall the brand off-hand, but the wi-fi router is a cheaper version, originally intended only for the Indian market but has since been available worldwide. It's 802.11 A/B/G with WPA. The Playbook is a 16 GB version.
    12-07-11 05:42 PM
    Here's the thing though... It worked flawlessly before. I've had this thing for months with no wifi problems before, until last night when I installed the update. When the playbook woke back up from its reboot after the update, it would not connect to the wireless.
    I don't know if you're into doing a debrick to see what happens but I'm unsure what else to suggest. Have you unplugged your router and let it sit a minute and plugged it back in yet?
    12-07-11 06:01 PM
    I guess you call rim, have them walk you through whatever process. Tell them you have hard reset (Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown), that you've done a Security Wipe and even done the Debrick and nothing has worked. Ask for a credit card exchange (where they send you a unit charging your card until they receive yours back).

Or wait another day or two till they try closing the next dingleberry exploit and maybe try fixing YET AGAIN the wifi they keep breaking!
    12-07-11 06:50 PM
    I had the some wifi issues until I turned the Band Type in the in my Wifi Netwofk settings from Dual band to 2.4 GHz. Might work for you.
    12-07-11 07:36 PM
    I agree with a previous poster, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I posted the night of the release that my wifi signal was better, snappier page loading and browser, as many of the first updaters were reporting. Virtually no more 1/3 blue bar loads, gone. BUT, I get to work where we have a broadband router, and WOW!!! Even flash heavy pages are snap loading, I mean NOW! I showed two co-workers how fast the browsing was and both were incredulous and freeking on it. I swear that my PB is now faster than my i7 PC at loading, at least here at work. At home we have satellite internet and it is still as fast as any computer in the house. WAY COOL!!! Sorry for those having issues, but I'm LOVING it now!
    12-07-11 09:24 PM
    My wi-fi router is a Linksys WRH54G, if that matters. I suppose if the Playbook works with this budget router, it should work well with most routers.

Since the update, my web browser is a lot more snappy too, like rotowrench observed. It's a /lot/ faster.
    12-08-11 12:00 AM

i think the changes most have made was turning off the "N" channel on your router. i set mine to mixed B/G and has been working fine for the past 4 days. My router is made by Cisco

The update from 1.7 to 1.8 screwed us all up. i also tried a complete security wipe which downloaded and installed 1.8 automatically but that still did not fix the problem.
    vgwillm likes this.
    12-08-11 08:09 AM
    With the latest build of 1.0.8.6067 I can re-enable wireless N on my linksys E1000 router.

Before that, with the initial release of 1.0.8, I had to disable it or wifi would go down in 2 or 3 minutes.

My PB still only connects at G - 11Mb, but my other devices can use N again. Been stable for days now...
    12-08-11 08:15 AM
    If you have a Blackberry phone, turn off the Bluetooth or Bridge and try deleting the wifi profile on both the PlayBook and the phone. Then try connecting the PlayBook to wifi and see what happens.

If you have a Blackberry phone, the bridge connection used to copy over the phone's profiles to the PlayBook. I haven't checked if this has changed.

Although the Playbook is getting all the blame here, a lot of the problems are with older routers that have the draft Wireless N on them or some other propriety speed boosting. In my case the problems were with DLink routers and I updated them to Apple wireless Extreme routers. I even had this problem years ago with my Bold 9000 and the only reliable cure to get all devices connected reliably was to get the Apple router. A high end router from one of the top brands may cure it as well, but I know the Apple routers work.

Also, I have posted this many times, the reported speed in the PlayBook wifi screen is wrong. To check the real speed, use your router's setup page and wireless status to see the connection speed of the devices connected to it.
    12-08-11 08:17 AM
    My wifi actually got much better after the patch. Ever since the patch before this one (1.0.8.4something) my wifi was crap, I was having very spotty connection everywhere at the gf's house. Last night, the speed and reliability of the wifi was excellent, not a single stall or issue.
    12-08-11 08:32 AM
    It is the same for me. It seems like the signal strength "lags" when I move away from the access point though. It goes from full strength to nothing.
    12-08-11 08:32 AM
    I just tested the Playbook with another wi-fi hotspot and got 8 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up.

I also tested the Bridge and everything still works.
    12-08-11 04:46 PM
    I`ve set the router to g/b and testing the Podcast the everything loads slowly; it wasn`t an issue before. Is there a way to go back to 1.7 version ?

Turned off the wifi and connecting back seems to be working but it`s noticable slower then before. Will check tomorrow and report back
    12-08-11 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD