hello,
    i have my BP mapped as a network drive on laptop....after a few days, i tried to connect and it gave me an error....i checked the i.p. addres of my playbook compared to the one when i mapped it previously and it changed........any adice on this ?

thanks

Tom
    01-30-12 07:28 AM
    On the main screen of the BlackBerry PlayBook select the gear icon (Settings) and select WiFi. To configure a network connection select Manually Connect. Now uncheck the Automatically Obtain IP Address and complete the other settings as appropriate. You can now confirm the static IP address by selecting About and then Network; use this IP address when mapping your tablet as a network drive.
    01-30-12 07:37 AM
    But would this not have problem connecting to other networks . eg office, hotspot.
    01-30-12 07:44 AM
    There was a post on here about changing the router to use a static ip for the playbook.
    01-30-12 07:51 AM
    thanks i will try that.

Tom
    01-30-12 08:11 AM
    I set a static IP for my PB in my routers config page. When using public wifi setting a static IP on the PB may cause issues as someone else may already have that IP.
    01-30-12 08:18 AM
    But would this not have problem connecting to other networks . eg office, hotspot.
    Oh, interesting. I don't recall if I've been out and about too many times since setting it up ON THE PB. I know I was at a Starbucks and it worked. I don't recall if I already had the static address when I was visiting a friend in Moab and used that wifi.

Oh, looking at how you set it up on the pb, you edit the SAVED network. So maybe setting STATIC on the pb only affects that particular saved network and does not affect any other (starbucks, mc d's, etc). Of course, I have no idea what might happen if another device comes into my home while the pb is off and it gets the ip address (maybe I skipped a few numbers ?)

My router does not have a place to set static on it - older linksys.
    01-30-12 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD