I searched all of the tethering and wifi sharing threads and cant figure out how to connect my PB to my HTC EVO 4G for wifi sharing. I don't have the $30/month hotspot plan from Sprint. I tried BT and Wifi but can't get a connection. I could not find a droid app capable of doing this. Any way to do this without rooting? Thanks!
    01-04-12 03:59 PM
    No. If you have a BB phone, then Bridge is your free connection. No BB phone, then your only option is to use your phone's hotspot connection, and realize there will be a page that says if you want to connect, you will pay for this tethering.
    01-04-12 04:03 PM
    No. If you have a BB phone, then Bridge is your free connection. No BB phone, then your only option is to use your phone's hotspot connection, and realize there will be a page that says if you want to connect, you will pay for this tethering.
    FALSE, I tether my Xoom with my Evo 4g all the time for free. Find an Android forum and get the correct info and instructions on how to do it. Most posters here are clueless and will try to steer you towards buying a BB whatever.
    01-04-12 04:38 PM
    FALSE, I tether my Xoom with my Evo 4g all the time for free. Find an Android forum and get the correct info and instructions on how to do it. Most posters here are clueless and will try to steer you towards buying a BB whatever.
    Sorry, but you speak of hacking/jailbreaking/rooting devices to circumvent a carrier's requirement that you pay for a tether plan. I am not of the impression the OP is asking for rooting instructions in his thread.
    01-04-12 04:40 PM
    Sorry, but you speak of hacking/jailbreaking/rooting devices to circumvent a carrier's requirement that you pay for a tether plan. I am not of the impression the OP is asking for rooting instructions in his thread.
    Rooting or hacking, as you call it, not required, app is available in the Android market. This is common knowledge.
    01-04-12 04:57 PM
    i use an app called wireless tether. it requires root. it works really well. barnacle works as well. i used superoneclick to root my phone. it literally takes about 10 seconds to do it.

from what i gather, wifi is better than bluetooth for tethering because it has more bandwidth.
    01-04-12 05:06 PM
    Rooting or hacking, as you call it, not required, app is available in the Android market. This is common knowledge.
    Well, since this is a BB forum, I'm sure there are more then just myself here who are unfamiliar with this Android app. Would you mind posting the name of this app and where it can be found so that I can improve my knowledge deficit? Thanks.
    01-04-12 05:15 PM
    Well, since this is a BB forum, I'm sure there are more then just myself here who are unfamiliar with this Android app. Would you mind posting the name of this app and where it can be found so that I can improve my knowledge deficit? Thanks.
    Go to the Android Market on your phone and search for wifi tether there are several choices there both paid and free and both for rooted and without root. Check it out.
    01-04-12 05:33 PM
    Go to the Android Market on your phone and search for wifi tether there are several choices there both paid and free and both for rooted and without root. Check it out.
    Which specific app are you using?
    01-04-12 05:35 PM
    I searched all of the tethering and wifi sharing threads and cant figure out how to connect my PB to my HTC EVO 4G for wifi sharing. I don't have the $30/month hotspot plan from Sprint. I tried BT and Wifi but can't get a connection. I could not find a droid app capable of doing this. Any way to do this without rooting? Thanks!
    Thanks for this thread! I have the same phone and it has been one of the draw backs for me.
    01-04-12 05:41 PM
    Which specific app are you using?
    Wireless tether
    01-04-12 05:41 PM
    i use an app called wireless tether. it requires root. it works really well. barnacle works as well. i used superoneclick to root my phone. it literally takes about 10 seconds to do it.

from what i gather, wifi is better than bluetooth for tethering because it has more bandwidth.
    barnacle nor wifi tether work for tablets as they are ad- hoc networks,only the pc will connect not a playbook..been there done that.
    01-04-12 06:18 PM
    barnacle nor wifi tether work for tablets as they are ad- hoc networks,only the pc will connect not a playbook..been there done that.
    Wrong, go to one of the Android forums and find all the solutions to your problems.
    01-04-12 06:31 PM
    From what I am seeing, it requires your handset to be rooted. Secondly, none of the other paid or free apps in Android Market are compatible with the Blackberry Playbook,
    01-04-12 06:38 PM
    Keep in mind the OP wants to tether to a PlayBook, not an Android tablet. The members here are merely trying to offer a working solution. They're far from clueless. Have you had success tethering to a PlayBook using an Android phone? If so, please direct the OP to the exact solution.
    Paullamm likes this.
    01-04-12 07:12 PM
    Keep in mind the OP wants to tether to a PlayBook, not an Android tablet. The members here are merely trying to offer a working solution. They're far from clueless. Have you had success tethering to a PlayBook using an Android phone? If so, please direct the OP to the exact solution.
    If the OP goes to an Android forum there is plenty of help for tethering to a device that requires an ad-hoc connection, such as the PB.
    01-04-12 09:28 PM
    01-05-12 06:31 AM
    So by far the easiest way to accomplish this is to use the wifi hotspot feature on the phone. I have used the feature on my HTC inspire and it works far better than a bluetooth solution. This requires hotspot or tethering plan from the carrier though and carriers enforce that closely these days as well as apps that try to bypass it. That's not to say that third party apps don't work but don't be shocked if the third party apps quit working suddenly as carriers enforce their policies on tethering...

That said I haven't needed to use it recently as I also carry a 9900 and web browsing works through bridge now (not the bridge browser...). As I am using the 2.0 developer edition on my playbook it is worth noting though that android apps working on the playbook that require internet connections only work with wifi.

Sorry couldn't be more help....

PG
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-07-12 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD