WLAN [Security] Settings [WPA Mode]: • TKIP (WPA); ○ WPA2 (CCMP); or ○ WPA+WPA2.

Greetings from Albania (Balkan).
    06-03-12 05:11 PM
    Nope, mine was already set up that way. Still drops. Tks anyway.
    06-03-12 07:12 PM
    Care to explain?
    06-03-12 07:13 PM
    Never had a problem with dropped wifi. You might wanna return your playbook.
    06-03-12 09:11 PM
    Never had a problem with dropped wifi. You might wanna return your playbook.
    Even though you are a lucky one with out any wifi drops this topic is pretty popular both here and at the official BlackBerry support forums. I personally have gone through 3 different PlayBooks that all dropped my connection randomly or just lost it all together. I usually login to my router and just to a soft reset to fix it.
    06-03-12 10:39 PM
    I remember having a terrible time connecting my PB to my DD-WRT equipped DLink DIR-825 until I switched the WPA2 encryption from TKIP to AES. Since then, I haven't had a single issue connecting my PB to my router.

RCK
    ritesh likes this.
    06-04-12 01:29 AM
    Never had a problem with dropped wifi.

06-04-12 02:12 AM
    my issue is dropped wifi then the pb disables the wifi connection even though theres nothing wrong with it. so i have to goto saved connections, settings, enable, connect

also i d/l 1080p videos no prob on my laptop which is on the same connection but seem to get major slowdowns with the playbook.

mabye the beta will fix this
    06-04-12 02:52 AM
    If your router is WPS (Wifi Protected Setup) enabled, I suggest to those having issues the following :

1/ Go to PB wifi settings, stop wifi and delete stored wifi connexion (I even suggest you do it for all stored connexions, if you can afford it)
    2/ start wifi and use WPS procedure to set the connexion (many users - like me at first - are lazy walking to the router and press the button)

I'm pretty certain a lot of "hidden" stuff and tests comes with WPS routine ... anyway, I strongly suggest doing so each time you upgrade the OS if you encounter wifi disorders.

P.S : In my particular case (several Netgear routers), each OS iteration has been greeting a more fast and stable wifi environment.
    Hgouck, Spencerdl and PatrickMJS like this.
    06-04-12 03:02 AM
    Isn't WPA horribly insecure, as it was cracked long ago? Should we all be using nothing but WPA2? Or do I have it wrong?
    06-04-12 03:28 AM
    It would be great for understanding the issue if posters were to add their router brand and model to their posts. I have a Netgear N600 Gig and when I connected the first time I used the WPS button to connect. I have not had any lost connection problems. And when I am connecting to a public WiFi I turn bluetooth off on the PB to break the bridge connection , sign into the public WiFi, connect to the Internet, than turn my bluetooth back on to bridge my 9930 back to the playbook.
    kbz1960, rcm1301 and Willard814 like this.
    06-04-12 05:54 AM
    The only time I had trouble with wifi drpping was last week. My pc was fine and the speed test was as it should be. It turned out that it was my router - which was too old to cope with all the stuff connecting to it. I got a more powerful router and no more dropped wifi!
    Willard814 and Superfly_FR like this.
    06-04-12 06:22 AM
    I had that problem at first, but when I upgraded to 2.1 the problem just stopped.

P.S. I'll tell you in a week if I have any problems.
    06-04-12 07:12 AM
    If your router is WPS (Wifi Protected Setup) enabled, I suggest to those having issues the following :

1/ Go to PB wifi settings, stop wifi and delete stored wifi connexion (I even suggest you do it for all stored connexions, if you can afford it)
    2/ start wifi and use WPS procedure to set the connexion (many users - like me at first - are lazy walking to the router and press the button)

I'm pretty certain a lot of "hidden" stuff and tests comes with WPS routine ... anyway, I strongly suggest doing so each time you upgrade the OS if you encounter wifi disorders.

P.S : In my particular case (several Netgear routers), each OS iteration has been greeting a more fast and stable wifi environment.
    Wps enabled routers running wpa security are easy to crack. I would turn Wps of on the router.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-04-12 07:32 AM
    Had a thought about wi-fi issues over the weekend as I installed 2.1.0.560 I did a full security wipe and installed 2.1, and of course during setup had to put in the information about my wi-fi and all worked fine. Then I bridged the playbook to my phone and the playbook 'inherited' all of the wi-fi profiles I have saved in my phone, which is handy as my playbook and my phone often travel together and need access to the same wi-fi access points, however I am positive my home wi-fi profile was saved in the playbook with the option to allow 'inter-accespoint handover' and after it was bridged that was no longer checked? I have multiple accesspoints in my house on different channels to provide coverage everywhere I need it. Is it possible that when the playbook loaded the wi-fi profiles from the phone that my 'inter-accesspoint handover' option was overwritten? If so, how often does this happen? On phone restart? Playbook Restart? Pairing? I haven't had the time to do further testing but I'm positive that option was enabled and after bridging it went away.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone tested this?

Rick
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-04-12 07:48 AM
    Wps enabled routers running wpa security are easy to crack. I would turn Wps of on the router.
    You're right saying that WPA can be easily cracked (by anyone familiar with hacking - google "WPA backtrack" for more details) and we should avoid using defaults parameters on our routers.
    Yet, the point here is to determine whether or not the PB can handle a stable wifi connexion, router being considered "as-is" ;-). Remember that wifi is not intended for the sole use of the PB, so that it is very difficult to advice AES against TKIP, for instance.
    Moreover, most users having trouble are not experienced with those parameters, even accessing the router via browser may be a high fence to them.

Once stability is demoed, then users can choose to change their parameters. But WPS is a default "handshaking" WPA assistant that may help.
    Willard814 and Hgouck like this.
    06-04-12 08:51 AM
    Had a thought about wi-fi issues over the weekend as I installed 2.1.0.560 I did a full security wipe and installed 2.1, and of course during setup had to put in the information about my wi-fi and all worked fine. Then I bridged the playbook to my phone and the playbook 'inherited' all of the wi-fi profiles I have saved in my phone, which is handy as my playbook and my phone often travel together and need access to the same wi-fi access points, however I am positive my home wi-fi profile was saved in the playbook with the option to allow 'inter-accespoint handover' and after it was bridged that was no longer checked? I have multiple accesspoints in my house on different channels to provide coverage everywhere I need it. Is it possible that when the playbook loaded the wi-fi profiles from the phone that my 'inter-accesspoint handover' option was overwritten? If so, how often does this happen? On phone restart? Playbook Restart? Pairing? I haven't had the time to do further testing but I'm positive that option was enabled and after bridging it went away.

Rick
    wow, would be great we have some technical point of view regarding this ...
    06-04-12 08:52 AM

Rick
    Can the phone also be programmed for that access point handover?
    06-04-12 09:11 AM
    Yes it can, and mine currently is, but for some reason the Playbook didn't inherit this when the wi-fi profiles were shared via the bridge connection or for some other reason it changed? Just double checked my phone and that option is checked. Will have to delete those profiles and then re-bridge and see if it happens again???

Rick
    06-04-12 11:42 AM
    Yes it can, and mine currently is, but for some reason the Playbook didn't inherit this when the wi-fi profiles were shared via the bridge connection or for some other reason it changed? Just double checked my phone and that option is checked. Will have to delete those profiles and then re-bridge and see if it happens again???

Rick
    How do you set this up? I do not see anything under options
    06-04-12 04:08 PM
    Yes, I looked under Options and did not see a place to set it up (not that I have a need besides curiosity at the moment)
    06-04-12 05:35 PM
    It got a lot better for me when I turned off Turbo mode on my router.
    06-04-12 11:32 PM
    My router was set to give access only to registered MAC ID's and I would encounter terrible drops. Since last week I disabled that setting and went the WPA2- PSK way and haven't got a single drop.
    06-05-12 07:04 AM
    I bought a Netlink WNDAP360 fairly recently and had all manner of drop-out problems with my PlayBook. Essentially it looked like the PlayBook would cause the access point to reboot whenever it connected. After having done some digging around about problems with similar Netlink hardware (not all PlayBook related), I decided to disable the QoS WMM Powersave advanced option on the router. Safe to say I've not encountered any of the problems I was experiencing since.

The access point uses WPA2 over dual bands, with MAC filtering turned on as well.
    06-05-12 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD