My Playbook won't stay connected to my Wi-Fi. It drops out whenever I'm browsing or doing anything in app world. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could remedy this? Something technical perhaps...or is anyone having a similar issue?

I'm literally 3 feet from my wireless router with no luck.
    04-19-11 11:57 AM
    bump.

and I love my playbook!!!!
    04-19-11 07:22 PM
    by default your application behavior is that the application is struck when you open a new app in the fore ground and that means you download is struck and it appears as if you are having issues with the Wifi but that's not the case, change the application behavior to "showcase" in system settings.
    04-19-11 07:26 PM
    Some old wireless router couldn't work well with new devices/laptops. It's not because of distance but a problem of router.

Some time if you can set a fix IP address in your Playbook (not sure whether it could, it need turn off DHCP, and manually set gateway, DNS, IP, mask), wifi would be more stable. I did that several years before for my old router.
    04-19-11 07:38 PM
    changed to showcase...didn't help.

when I look at the logs they show connection, but then it goes down after no more than two minutes. Then stays that way for 30 seconds, then reconnects...
    04-19-11 07:40 PM
    Some old wireless router couldn't work well with new devices/laptops. It's not because of distance but a problem of router.

Some time if you can set a fix IP address in your Playbook (not sure whether it could, it need turn off DHCP, and manually set gateway, DNS, IP, mask), wifi would be more stable. I did that several years before for my old router.
    it's a relatively new router..DLINK DIR-628. And I've never had an issue with connecting other devices recently.
    04-19-11 07:42 PM
    My Playbook won't stay connected to my Wi-Fi. It drops out whenever I'm browsing or doing anything in app world. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could remedy this? Something technical perhaps...or is anyone having a similar issue?

I'm literally 3 feet from my wireless router with no luck.
    Are you using WPS (Wifi protected setup) to connect? I think your router supports it...
    04-19-11 07:42 PM
    Are you using WPS (Wifi protected setup) to connect? Does your router support it?
    router does support WPS... tried WPS (button on top) and WEP entry
    04-19-11 07:43 PM
    I'm not able to connect to my wifi in my house, it's a secure router. It has an SSID and a WEP Key. I have my Storm 2 running on it and 2 computers and I can't get either Playbook to connect. Can anyone help me?
    04-19-11 07:46 PM
    Try Wi-Fi > Connect Manually.

You may download the Playbook user guide, look into settings Page 30.

Sometime, check wireless router website whether new driver/firmware available, in most case, updated firmware/driver can fix most issues.
    04-19-11 07:56 PM
    I'm not able to connect to my wifi in my house, it's a secure router. It has an SSID and a WEP Key. I have my Storm 2 running on it and 2 computers and I can't get either Playbook to connect. Can anyone help me?
    How did you manage the OS update? Can you not enter your WEP key in the set-up? There should be a drop down where you can select the type of network and then you could enter you WEP password.
    04-19-11 07:58 PM
    User guide: I can't connect to a Wi-Fi network

Try one of the following actions:
    On the status bar, tap and verify that the switch is set to On.
    The connection might have timed out. Try connecting again.
    Your BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet might be too far away from the wireless access point or wireless router to connect. Move your tablet closer and try connecting again.
    Verify that you're in a Wi-Fi� coverage area. If you're connecting to a home network, see if other wireless devices are able to connect. If you're connecting to an enterprise Wi-Fi network or a hotspot, talk to your administrator or an employee at the hotspot.
    Verify that the time on your tablet is synchronized with the network time. If the times are different, it could prevent your tablet from connecting (for example, if connecting to the network requires you to have a certificate on your tablet and the certificate has an expiration date).
    If the Wi-Fi network doesn't appear in the list of available networks, the network might be hidden. If you know the network name, try connecting to it manually.
    Verify that the options for the Wi-Fi network are correct. To find out what options to use, for a home network, refer to the information that came with your router; for an enterprise Wi-Fi network, talk to your administrator; for a public hotspot, refer to any information provided for the hotspot or talk to an employee at the hotspot who might have details about how to connect.
    If you switched Wi-Fi networks manually, try switching to another Wi-Fi network.
    If you are using the Push Button Setup method, verify that the access point uses Wi-Fi Protected Setup™, and that it has been set to send its profile. Verify that another device is not also attempting to connect at the same time, and that not more than one access point within range is in this mode. For more information, see the information that came with your router.
    If you use PEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, or EAP-TTLS to connect to a Wi-Fi network, verify that you have installed the root certificate for the certificate authority server that created the certificate for the authentication server. The certificate must be transferred to your tablet before you can connect to the network. For more information, talk to your administrator.
    If you use EAP-TLS to connect to a Wi-Fi network, verify that you have added your authentication certificate to your tablet. The certificate must be transferred to your tablet before you can connect to the network. For more information, talk to your administrator.
    To view details about your tablet and the network you're connected to that might help with advanced troubleshooting, on the status bar, tap > Wi-Fi. In the lower-right corner, tap .
    04-19-11 08:03 PM
    Try Wi-Fi > Connect Manually.

You may download the Playbook user guide, look into settings Page 30.

Sometime, check wireless router website whether new driver/firmware available, in most case, updated firmware/driver can fix most issues.
    Tired that, connection keeps timing out, it sees the network but can't connect. Usually I just search for the network and it finds it and then I put the password in and I'm good. Not sure what else to do
    04-19-11 08:08 PM
    How did you manage the OS update? Can you not enter your WEP key in the set-up? There should be a drop down where you can select the type of network and then you could enter you WEP password.
    I had it at my office today which has an unsecure wi-fi connection and used that. Then I come home and it won't connect to the secure one. There is a drop down and I put the password in and it still won't connect.
    04-19-11 08:10 PM
    When I try to connect manually and type the info in it says Both name and SSID must be unique among configurations
    04-19-11 08:17 PM
    you need to remove the saved network then. then restart the wifi process.
    04-19-11 08:36 PM
    Thank you, it worked
    04-19-11 09:02 PM
    boom!!! now if only i cant get mine to work im wireless at a starbucks right now and its working so its something technical. or maybe NFS haha
    04-19-11 09:24 PM
    User guide: I can't connect to a Wi-Fi network

Try one of the following actions:
    On the status bar, tap and verify that the switch is set to On.
    The connection might have timed out. Try connecting again.
    Your BlackBerry� PlayBook� tablet might be too far away from the wireless access point or wireless router to connect. Move your tablet closer and try connecting again.
    Verify that you're in a Wi-Fi� coverage area. If you're connecting to a home network, see if other wireless devices are able to connect. If you're connecting to an enterprise Wi-Fi network or a hotspot, talk to your administrator or an employee at the hotspot.
    Verify that the time on your tablet is synchronized with the network time. If the times are different, it could prevent your tablet from connecting (for example, if connecting to the network requires you to have a certificate on your tablet and the certificate has an expiration date).
    If the Wi-Fi network doesn't appear in the list of available networks, the network might be hidden. If you know the network name, try connecting to it manually.
    Verify that the options for the Wi-Fi network are correct. To find out what options to use, for a home network, refer to the information that came with your router; for an enterprise Wi-Fi network, talk to your administrator; for a public hotspot, refer to any information provided for the hotspot or talk to an employee at the hotspot who might have details about how to connect.
    If you switched Wi-Fi networks manually, try switching to another Wi-Fi network.
    If you are using the Push Button Setup method, verify that the access point uses Wi-Fi Protected Setup�, and that it has been set to send its profile. Verify that another device is not also attempting to connect at the same time, and that not more than one access point within range is in this mode. For more information, see the information that came with your router.
    If you use PEAP, EAP-TLS, EAP-FAST, or EAP-TTLS to connect to a Wi-Fi network, verify that you have installed the root certificate for the certificate authority server that created the certificate for the authentication server. The certificate must be transferred to your tablet before you can connect to the network. For more information, talk to your administrator.
    If you use EAP-TLS to connect to a Wi-Fi network, verify that you have added your authentication certificate to your tablet. The certificate must be transferred to your tablet before you can connect to the network. For more information, talk to your administrator.
    To view details about your tablet and the network you're connected to that might help with advanced troubleshooting, on the status bar, tap > Wi-Fi. In the lower-right corner, tap .
    I've gone through this many times
    04-19-11 10:32 PM
    I like my playbook.. when it works. Unfortunately, it is very glitchy when it comes to connecting Wifi. I've yet been able to connect to wifi at home where i have a computer running it. I always have to tether my phones 3g signal to the wifi. Not pleased with this aspect of my PB. If i'd known I would not have purchased it.
    01-29-13 07:11 PM
    I had the same issue and this is the solution that has worked for me. At home my playbook dropped all the time but never at work. The other day I downloaded a wifi analyzer to my laptop as there is no such app for playbook yet.

This application, which was free, scanned all the wifi signals that it was able to pick up and provided some important information. There was about 15 signals around my house and all the wifi signals, including mine, we're on channel 11, 10, and 9 out of a possible 14 channels.

The way it was explained to me was that when you pick a channel say 9, the wifi signal will overlap channels 7,8,10,11. ...and when you get multiple units all sending signals out on the same channel(s) you will get instability and interference.

With the wifi analyzer I saw that no one was using the lower channels so I changed my router settings to channel 6 in my case... So my signal would overlap 4,5,7,8. Google some of the apps available on (sigh) android and you'll see some of the graphs that will make more sense to what I'm trying to describe.

Since making that change my playbook has dropped once, when it used to drop constantly.... Sometimes 5 or 6 times in a span of a minute.

This worked for me.
    01-29-13 08:20 PM
    Actually just go to Google images and search on wifi analyzer and you will see the wifi arc graphs I was talking about.
    01-29-13 08:27 PM
    Copied this from wiki under Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4*GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.
    Additionally, other devices use the 2.4*GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities[44] or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.
    01-29-13 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD