I'm NOT switching.
    09-02-12 01:29 AM
    If you really want to, you can. I won't discount the inferred problem with Android -- one is held hostage by carrier updates -- that affects average customers, but upgrades can be ethically had for those willing to get them.

They even got JB on the OG Droid, so sky's the limit.
    This is all true, but the SGT was only slated to go up to GB (2.3) The samsung upgrade software called Keis, is a joke, and I could not upgrade the device. I ended up doing a clean install of overcome 4.0 (which is an android 2.3 copy) which works wonderfully. Cyanamod (?) has people working to port 4.0, and it should be done, but then, I am also waiting for the official 4.0 version for my Motorola atrix. It just seems that there is more than enough hacking and wacking, I am looking for more out of the box smoothness. (hope the BB10 will give me that in spades!
    jpash549 likes this.
    09-02-12 04:24 AM
    7 inch to 10 inch Black Forest
    09-02-12 06:07 AM
    I just picked up a Asus transformer t300t on Saturday so far so good so what I am pretty impressed that being said the playbook so far at least to me is superior in its simplicity and fluidity coming from about as non tech guy as one can be but I'm enjoying playing as of now my PB is still my favored child and if BB comes out with a 10 in model ill be on it like stink on expletive deleted. :-)
    09-04-12 02:54 PM
    I love what my playbook can do.

I hate more what it can't do.

I have a laundry list of expectations of what I want my tablet of choice to do. Either natively, or through available 3rd party options.

I haven't made my change yet. (giving BB10 a chance). But if BB10 doesn't fit that laundry list, enough's enough and i'll be gone from the RIM camp, including the playbook.

I will not listen to "it's coming" as part of it. If BB10 doesn't launch with at least some of these basic functionality already inherent in the system, I will be ditching. I bought into the playbook with "it's coming" from RIM, only to have to wait almost a year for PIM's, and still over a year without the promised DLNA client. Not to mention no native filebrowser to view networks. For a device thats geared for working, it misses a lot.

If BB10 doesn't have a built in DLNA / uPNP client. It's going in the garbage, and I'm going Android. I did not setup a home server with streaming capabilities, just so my device can sit there with no easy means to stream content from it.
    Darlaten, Mr Donut and Akuji_ism like this.
    09-04-12 02:59 PM
    Not switching yet since the PB does work. But I started a new threat, Comparing tablets, after doing just that at Best Buy today. Now, I can see why some people are switching, or not buying the PB in the first place. I won't reiterate here what I said in that thread. If you want to know my reasons, check it out.
    09-04-12 03:52 PM
    Switched to Nexus 7... nearly got a 64gb PlayBook for �129.99 from PC world, but need to pay bills. Was going to use it for a media hub next to TV through the HDMI.
    09-04-12 04:51 PM
    Ipad - email, Netflix and Skype are the reasons....
    ...The Playbook has an excellent video call app but it's worthless unless there is another playbook at the other end.
    ...Can anyone say if and when RIM plans to shore up this obvious problem?
    09-04-12 05:17 PM
    The problem can also be solved by more people buying playbooks?

Thanks for posting everyone.
    09-05-12 03:01 AM
    Not switching either... probably adding Sony Xperia tablet...
    09-05-12 11:43 AM
    I recently switch to a IPad (3rd gen). The reason I switched was mainly to do with the quality & quantity of apps on other tablets that the PB didn't have. PB was my first tablet, So at first I was blown away by some of the things it could do. But, after SO long of the same old apps & nothing really improving, I gave in & switched.

That's why I switched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by STRATEGIZER; 09-05-12 at 12:33 PM.
    09-05-12 12:30 PM
    If BB10 doesn't have a built in DLNA / uPNP client. It's going in the garbage, and I'm going Android. I did not setup a home server with streaming capabilities, just so my device can sit there with no easy means to stream content from it.
    I'm sure there is more to this than I can answer - but I run TVeristy to stream media from my laptop/media drive to my XBOX and Playbook without any issue.
    09-05-12 03:36 PM
    I'm sure there is more to this than I can answer - but I run TVeristy to stream media from my laptop/media drive to my XBOX and Playbook without any issue.
    streaming is an amazing thing.

Currently at home, I have setup a NAS with a uPNP / DLNA server in order to stream a couple terrabytes of personal content, from Movies, Music, TV shows, Webisodes and the like. Any media I download goes directly to this server.

What this allows me to do is from any device in the house, Xbox, computer, and so on and so forth, watch, Listen, Read the content.

I've looked at some 3rd party applications like you mentioned, and while they "fit" and do the basics fo what i'm looking at, They do it through non standard and often incompatible means.

This is why my home server adheres to uPNP and DLNA standard. So far, Only 1 device in my house has failed to be able to stream music and movies directly from this device. the Playbook.

I knew this when I bought the playbook prior to 2.0. RIM made an announcement that they were aware of this shortcoming and that they promised that DLNA support was coming "soon�". Well, it's now 2012, 2.0 is out, 2.1 is in beta (STILL) and DLNA / uPNP support is still not even being mentioned as coming.

My Playbook is missing one fo the primary promised features and one of the biggest uses I have for a tablet. using a 3rd party streaming service, in which I would need to leave my desktop computer on 24/7/ to run is not a viable option. Neither is rebuilding my home server to another OS platform just to support this 3rd party "hack" such as TVersity or other windows based media streamers.
    09-05-12 03:55 PM
    "Why are you switching to other tabs?..."
    Who told ya that ?

I'm not switching !!

.... imho
    09-05-12 04:13 PM
    It's more about FROM the PlayBook TO the PS3/Xbox/TV...
    09-06-12 03:35 AM
    I will keep my pb, probably add a nexus 7.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 05:51 AM
91 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD