Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By castoridae
  • 1 Post By adjdudley21
  • 1 Post By greatkingwarrior
  • 1 Post By rmpb
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default why would you buy a kobo if you have the app?

If you use the kobo app on your playbook, why would you purchase the actual kobo reader - or any ereader? the playbook is just the right size to read and not too heavy. Just wondering. thx
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    280BF90E

All a matter of taste
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

The Kobo is a little bit lighter, but the real advantage is the e-ink which is really easy on the eyes. Also, if you get the Glo the light shines on the page instead of in your eyes the way it does with any tablet (including the Kindle Fire Tablet). This feature is also great when you are reading in the dark because it doesn't light up the room the way a tablet does.
    BergerKing likes this.

Global Posts
    32,130 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

And there's the additional benefit of battery life. Many of the e-readers get unparalleled battery life in comparison to a tab.

I'm working on converting hard copies to e-book now, and can convert a fair-sized book in an hour or so. Since much of my library cost me as little as .25 a book, I have no problem spending an hour to convert a book vs paying up to $10 to re-buy them. Then, because of the process used, the whole book goes back to trade for more books.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-08-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Report Button, not just for the bad things!
    Devices: SPH-A620/VGA 1000, Sanyo Katana, BlackBerry 8330, 9630, 9670, MB855 Photon, SPH-L710 Galaxy SIII. SPH-L720 Galaxy S4
    Bacon is duct tape for food!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Oh, and the other thing I forgot the mention (in addition to the battery life) is that you can use an e-reader in the sunlight.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Well, I thought about the light thing, but as soon as I figured how to switch to a black background, day or night reading was comfortable. I haven't tried it in the sunlight yet, but I wouldn't take any of my e-toys to the beach! So, the only thing I can see would be better is the battery time?
    CrackBerry Master

There is one very important issue that no-one's addressed yet. The light that's given off by a tablet actually mimics indirect sunlight and if you like to read later in the day, evening or night your brain is essentially tricked into thinking it's earlier in the day than it actually is. There has been a sharp increase of incidences of sleep deprived illnesses that directly correlates with tablet use later in the day.

I use an e-reader simply because e-ink is much easier on the eyes and the reading surface very closely resembles that of the printed page. In fact, the newer devices actually have a textured glass that's designed to mimic the feel of paperback page paper as you "flick" between pages.
    CrackBerry Abuser

E-ink screen (versus backlit Playbook screen), battery life (40+ hours even when using wifi to download 2 newspapers daily), size/weight (can't see using my PB one handed the way I do with my Kobo). Biggest thing to me is the screen. I don't use it in sunlight (where it works great) but it truly is as close as you can get to reading paper in an electronic form. Very easy on the eyes for long reading sessions.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

My niece uses a Kindle Fire tablet plus she has an iPad with the Kindle app. One advantage Kindle seems to have is that she was able to highlight any word in the book and get a definition of it (plus it supported multiple bookmarks) - a lot more advanced than our native Kobo app, really. That said, I'm personally most happy with Kobo on my Playbook and the additional 'other features' aren't really enough to make me want a Kindle specifically.
    Thanked by:
    toosho (02-08-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,334 Global Posts

I use a Sony reader for all the reasons above + dictionary.
    Power corrupts. Knowledge is power.
    Study hard. Be evil.