I'm not implying that one is better than the other. What I'm asking is, what benefits does the playbook have over the Ipad that would persuede me into choosing the playbook over the Ipad if I were on the market for a tablet?
    02-22-12 08:34 PM
    Price is one reason
    jonmark likes this.
    02-22-12 08:35 PM
    Do a search here and read. Check specs for each online including price. Search out app options. Formulate opinion. Tons of talk on here already on this subject.
    02-22-12 08:36 PM
    All depends what u want to accomplish

Built in hdmi out
    Usb - no crappie itunes
    Light weight
    Flash
    Better browser
    Fubaz and joski like this.
    02-22-12 08:37 PM
    Better hardware, better OS, better price....
    joski likes this.
    02-22-12 08:38 PM
    Here is why I did:

Price
    Bridge
    Size
    Flash browser
    OS
    LED
    Crackberry.com support

I got mine a few days ago. Considered an iPad as well.
    02-22-12 08:40 PM
    Remote Control!!! yeyyyy!

Edit: I have both, Ipad 2 and Playbook.

Gotta admit Ipad have thousands of apps, for the rest, IMO PB its equal or better.

Did I mentioned Remote Control ? Yeyyy!!! Can't stop using it! I just don't even know what else to do but keep using it!!
    Last edited by ishuaia; 02-22-12 at 08:43 PM.
    Chrisy, Dapper37 and cylaer like this.
    02-22-12 08:40 PM
    Read the "Why I Love My PlayBook in One Word" thread; ALL your questions will be answered there.
    Goldwing07 likes this.
    02-22-12 08:41 PM
    I'm not implying that one is better than the other. What I'm asking is, what benefits does the playbook have over the Ipad that would persuede me into choosing the playbook over the Ipad if I were on the market for a tablet?
    It's impossible to say which is better for you without knowing how you will be using it. For example, if you need an app that is available on one device but not on the other, this fact may have a bearing on your choice. Likewise, if you already own a BlackBerry smart phone, one device may be more appropriate for you than the other (and perhaps not).

The biggest mistake you can make is to choose one device over the other based on the impressions of random reviewers.

One thing that I can say is that, from my observations anyway, the choice will not seem as cut and dried to many people as it was say, the day before yesterday.
    02-22-12 08:45 PM
    Size + enterprise usage for people with BB's administered by BES + native FLASH support
    02-22-12 08:47 PM
    It really boils down to choice.

I use it to for this streaming wrestling site when I'm coaching my kids. I watch a lot of wrestling and soccer and college basketball. Streaming is key

Also, I like to put whatever I want on there by any means. If it's "free" then I want it.

How every you want to use the device is up to you. I personally never really like apples ui across the board.

I hope this helps your decision
    02-22-12 08:52 PM
    for me it would be the size, OS, flash browser, built in hdmi in/out, bridge
    the CB community and plenthora of other reasons i would choose a pb over a ipad.
    raymond likes this.
    02-22-12 08:52 PM
    As stated in above posts, it simply depends on what you want to use the tablet for... I get asked all the time about what laptop a user should buy, or what kind of printer to get. It all depends on it's use. As you didn't state an intent of use, I highly doubt any would be able to help you out. It's going to come down to personal preference. I have a student who just believes in the Galaxy Tab 10. He tried it out at the store, says it's great but unaffordable for him. He can't put my Playbook down, though, due to his amazement with it's abilities but just wouldn't ever consider getting one since it's a Blackberry.

Anyway, I chose mine originally only because of the bridge function. A tablet's a tablet, until you need something specific from it... then it becomes the best thing in the world.
    02-22-12 08:57 PM
    There are many reasons why people select one device over another. I liked the Playbook's size (it slips nicely into a purse or pocket) and I was intrigued with the OS ... and the price was good. I never considered getting an iPad because I have never liked Apple's OS ... or business practices etc. But that's me. Lots of people like them ...

You have to figure out what you want to get out of your tablet ... then find out which one answers your need. And don't forget Android ...

Good luck!
    2010GOLD and Bluemoonjules like this.
    02-22-12 08:58 PM
    please use the search function before making threads.

there are dozens of threads with GREAT answers to this, so look for those and your answers will be there
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-22-12 09:03 PM
    Better browser, more compact size, and free data sharing if you own a Blackberry with the Bridge app, which in America is good bc the carriers charge extra to turn on wifi hotspot or tether features on smartphones, so bridge is a good free alternative. Bridge runs at bluetooth speed so its not as fast as tether/wifi hotspot, but the price is right!

Also if you want to nitpick, Playbook has the slightly better hardware, audio, screen resolution.

Obviously the iPad wins on functionality in well known consumer apps/sites and if you prefer the larger screen, then its better there too.
    02-22-12 09:05 PM
    Cause they're smarter than the rest, bold and ain't sheepish just following the herd !!
    2010GOLD likes this.
    02-22-12 09:08 PM
    I dunno, I have chosen PlayBook over iPad is because of price and how really powerful the QNX OS is. I mean people bash the PlayBook a lot, but makes me wonder if they ever used one.

It's also portable too XD. Managed to hook up my iSheep younger sister thanks to NFS.
    02-22-12 09:10 PM
    Well, they both do things differently and appeal to different people. There are many reasons why someone would choose a PlayBook over an iPad:
    • Price (huge factor)
    • Size (another big factor)
    • Email and Social Integration (the PlayBook literally went from zero to number one in native PIM)
    • Full browser
    • Bridge Browser (if you have a BlackBerry smartphone, then you don't need a separate data plan to use your PB w/o WiFi)
    • Gesture navigation (this is pretty intuitive and unique and many people are impressed, not really a benefit, but adds to the "coolness" factor)
    • Apps - hear me out on this: developing and submitting apps to BlackBerry App World for the PlayBook is now much easier than ever before. If all Android app developers have to do is convert their apps to BlackBerry apps, then App World will grow at an amazing rate, especially as RIM builds anticipation for BlackBerry 10-based devices. As of right now, it's a detriment, but it could work to the PB's favor in a few months.

Those are just some of the reasons why I chose a PlayBook over any other tablet, and I don't regret my choice at all.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 02-22-12 at 09:23 PM.
    miata likes this.
    02-22-12 09:11 PM
    I bought the PB for the following reasons:

Size-Portability
    Bridge-I have a 9900
    Design-Looks classier and more formal than an iPad
    Hardware-pretty fast
    Browser-flash and a fast one
    Price-you can't beat this

W/ the release of OS2.0, we all got a big bonus w/ native calendar, email and contacts.

Cheers
    02-22-12 09:12 PM
    Bought a second Playbook after I loaded OS2 on my wifes machine. Had to buy a 64 Gig from Qffice Depot for $299.00, couldn't pass it up at that price. With OS2, it is back in the ball game. 64 Gig machine at that price, had to have it.
    Last edited by CSI Guy; 02-22-12 at 09:45 PM.
    02-22-12 09:42 PM
    Back in June, I got a Playbook as a gift and I had 15 days to decide if I'd change for an iPad2. So these were 2 weeks of intense research and analysis! My decision was based on these strong advantages:

The very portable size
    The weight, can be held with one hand
    The brighter and better screen resolution
    Flash (still widely used on the net)
    A complete and smooth browsing experience like a laptop
    Real multitasking
    HD video
    8mp camera
    Bridge
    Fast and powerful processor
    Blackberry quality built

In every angles, Playbook hardware is superior to iPad. The new OS 2.0 is at least equivalent to iOS.

And now, the price is less than half of the equivalent Apple tablet!!! What's not to like!

The only strong argument left for the iPad is thousands of apps. First, Playbook with its strong browser does not require that many apps. Moreover, this situation is being corrected with Android apps being added to Blackberry App World.

So my choice was very clear: Better choose a stronger and longer lasting hardware with constant free updates for the software than the reverse! Playbook is a better choice for most people. If only for the much lower price. But iPad clearly is more trendy for most people. It depends on your values!
    Last edited by WIdo; 02-22-12 at 11:50 PM.
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-22-12 11:30 PM
    So as not to repeat what everyone else already said, I'll keep my answer brief.

Blackberry bridge
    remote control
    alnamvet68 and raymond like this.
    02-22-12 11:36 PM
    2010 where tablet market start to get attention because of ipad hype, when I learned that ipad can't render flash then i started to find alternative then i found android device, while having android device I fell like I am missing something, then I realized what I was looking for, multitasking, because i don't want to close application just to go to anther application, so started to look for that tablet, then i read in an article that it is not doable for the company's to put multitasking to tablet OS, when i found that multitasking is impossible, then i saw galaxy tab the first android tablet from decent company, so i started saving my money to buy the galaxy tab, then by october RIM announced the tablet that can multitask, there it is, I saw DEVCON demo of the blackpad [thats how they call it before], multasking, switching from one app to another, without hassle. That feature alone makes me fall in love with playbook adding the avility to run flash and the 7 inches form factor, I felt that all my wish came true because of RIM.
    02-22-12 11:47 PM
    dammit..another misleading title, and another useless thread. The reasons are for your own. If you can't find reasons to buy the playbook over an iPad by yourself then you shouldn't. Buying a item because of someone else's opinion is not buying it for your own reasons. Not to mention why the do we have to persuade "a person" a day why they should buy one. Do your research and stop spamming the forums so I can find useful threads.
    02-22-12 11:53 PM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD