Are there any advantages to using wifi over Bridge?

I haven't used wifi much so I was also wondering if the bridge browser is different than using wifi and regular browser? For example, why can't I access the Where's My Refund site?
    03-01-12 06:13 AM
    Wifi is still faster than 3G, and if you have a data limitation with your phone provider, bridge might be expensive
    03-01-12 06:15 AM
    Good points. Like I said I've only used wifi a few times. It was at my college and it didn't seem any faster. I'll check it out again.

I thought bridged data was not charged?
    03-01-12 06:18 AM
    Good points. Like I said I've only used wifi a few times. It was at my college and it didn't seem any faster. I'll check it out again.

I thought bridged data was not charged?
    Bridged data would be counted against the data plan on your phone. If you have unlimited data plan no worries, if not could get expensive.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 06:22 AM
    Oh wow. I knew it uses phone data but for some reason I thought it didn't go toward data allowance. Good to know!
    03-01-12 06:26 AM
    my WiFi is much faster than the bridged 3G.. what kind of speed you get over there?
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 06:29 AM
    I have no idea. I just went by looks.
    03-01-12 06:30 AM
    app world doesnt work over bridge if you needed to get from there.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 06:54 AM
    If your WiFi is slower than 3G... it is useless! Unless you don't have 3G, then...
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 06:54 AM
    Like the majority have pointed out. For me WIFI all the time for me.
    On the go the bridge is a must when ofcourse out of wifi range.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 06:55 AM

I haven't used wifi much so I was also wondering if the bridge browser is different than using wifi and regular browser? For example, why can't I access the Where's My Refund site?
    My reply assumes that when you say use the bridge you mean to access the web and not e-mail or other PIM items. Using the bridge to access the web means you better have an unlimited data plan on the Blackberry or you will get throttled or charged for the overages.

As for the Browser being different the issue is all browsers identify to the website what they are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. So you may be able to find a setting in the broswer to change what it tells the website. Or look for what is called a User Agent application.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 07:05 AM
    That may be my issue with accessing some websites. Thanks!

Yes, thankfully I have unlimited data. I don't know why I thought bridged data didn't count.
    03-01-12 07:08 AM
    Unless you are on AT&T, Bridge data IS NOT counted towards your monthly allowance.

Simply put, WiFi IS faster (well, at least should be, if you are not under crappy WiFi signal from a crappy internet connection at least). If raw speep was not enough on itself, Bridge access happens via BlueTooth and its data speeds do not allow for you to make full use of most 3G speeds available anyway.

Run a test. Enable WiFi hotspot on that 9650 of yours and check speeds, then go back to Bridge and compare.

For the browser issue, get Simple Browser (free) on AppWorld, change it to Chrome or Firefox and you're set.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 07:18 AM
    Wifi is faater than bridge. For me, I have no cell connection in my school.

Sometimes I have to unbridge so I can connect to login hotspot.
    03-01-12 07:20 AM
    The big advantage of wifi would be speed. Even if the phone is getting wifi signal it still has to pass through to the PB on a bluetooth signal.
    With an unlimited plan you don't have much to worry about.
    If you have any places with free wifi you frequent, take the time to setup the wifi and the next time you go back it should auto-connect.
    03-01-12 07:20 AM
    Also, with wifi, you save the berries battery.
    Chaddface likes this.
    03-01-12 07:23 AM
    Unless you are on AT&T, Bridge data IS NOT counted towards your monthly allowance.

Hmmm.. I think you're wrong. The data through your Bridge is via your phone's data access. You can avoid tethering charges via the Bridge, but you are still using your phone's data. So if you have a limit, the Bridge will count against that. I don't have a limit, but I can see my data usage via my carrier.

If what you said is true, then everyone (other than AT&T according to you) would have UNLIMITED Bridge data.
    03-01-12 07:29 AM

I don't have BB so I can't use bridged mode, but I'm sure you can't access LAN resources (ex. network share drives) through bridge.
    03-01-12 07:32 AM
    Also, with wifi, you save the berries battery.
    But bluetooth is less power hungry than WiFi. It's really a "which device I want to die fist" scenario. ^^
    03-01-12 07:34 AM
    But bluetooth is less power hungry than WiFi. It's really a "which device I want to die fist" scenario. ^^
    You forgot the berry's 3G.
    03-01-12 07:39 AM
    In addition to not being able to use App World and being slower, you can't access any POP or IMAP email in the native Messages app while bridged. Although I imagine at this point that everyone who uses Bridge realizes that Bridge email is vastly superior to the native Messages app anyway.
    03-01-12 07:40 AM
    my wifi is slower than my bridge.
    so i always on bridge with my bold 9900 3G all the time.
    and its free of charge, even when streaming videos.
    03-01-12 07:44 AM
    Your not just using bluetooth. Your phone has to do the send/receive as well. One of the bigger power drains for a phone. Using wifi on the PB keeps your phone out of the loop for the most part.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-01-12 07:44 AM
    Are you sure?

I've noticed that my PlayBook heats up a lot when I'm tethering data. But then it might be because it has to work so long.

This refute holds assuming that battery heat = battery drain.
    Bluemoonjules likes this.
    03-01-12 07:46 AM
    Ok, so wait...forgive my ignorance...novice Playbook user here..

If I am bridged, and have wifi turned on the PB and BB, I'm still going to be charged data if I surf, or access email or whatever?

I guess I don't really understand all this quite well enough...

Thanks
    03-01-12 08:13 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD