Recently bought a new Samsung printer - it supports Tablet & Smartphone printing. They have a app called "Samsung Mobile Print" and I notice they only support IOS & Andriod products. I contacted them to see if they had any release plan for blackberry tablets.
    Why so many company don't support blackberry playbook?-munch_2012_11_26_185816.jpg
    Since I am not the first one to contact them about it I am sure their is a lot of other playbook user contacting them about it.
    What I am confuse about is when they know their are so many people requesting a app for blackberry why wouldn't they build support for blackbery users?
    11-27-12 05:17 PM
    Market share.
    bk1022 likes this.
    11-27-12 05:48 PM
    you should check to see if someone has sideloaded that app with any success
    11-28-12 05:52 PM
    I would think it's the userbase..
    Maybe they don't find it worth it to develop and support apps for such a small userbase. It would cost them money to develop new support it obviously.
    But if BB10 makes it big then hopefully more apps will coke..
    11-29-12 02:33 AM
    Recently bought a new Samsung printer - it supports Tablet & Smartphone printing. They have a app called "Samsung Mobile Print" and I notice they only support IOS & Andriod products. I contacted them to see if they had any release plan for blackberry tablets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	munch_2012_11_26_185816.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	126612
    Since I am not the first one to contact them about it I am sure their is a lot of other playbook user contacting them about it.
    What I am confuse about is when they know their are so many people requesting a app for blackberry why wouldn't they build support for blackbery users?
    Same issue with the Dell Mobile Print app. Also, the side loaded app does not work.
    11-29-12 04:22 AM
    Its not market share, its laziness on the developers part.

I just set up my PS3 to connect to my wireless Canon Printer. Now tell me there are millions of people out there buying PS3's and printing from them! I bet its dozens maybe hundreds tops, and definately not thousands of people using this feature. The PS3 software devs obviously just rattled out this little easter egg because they could and it killed some slack time they had.
    jackpots likes this.
    11-29-12 04:57 AM
    Because hardly anyone has a Playbook and it wouldn't be worth their while.
    11-29-12 07:33 AM
    Because they don't care, and not enough PB's in the market compared to the rest
    11-29-12 08:33 AM
    Lets see:
    According to Strategy Analytics figures in the 2011 second quarter, the PlayBook's market share is 3.3 percent, compared to iOS (iPad, iPad 2) by Apple with 61.3 percent, Android by Google with 30.1 percent, and various Windows by Microsoft with 4.6 percent.

By 2012: (Don't know what PlayBook share it, but it can't be much)
    Android rose to 44 percent during Q3 2012, according to ABI's data. , ABI Research said, adding that it expects that market share to increase. Apple decreasing to 55%

I recently purchased (4) PlayBooks, having to deal with multiple stores to get them.
    My experience /impressions YMMV:
    1: All the managers of the stores said the PlayBook was a extremely SLOW selling item.
    (3) of Playbooks had been in their inventory for 18 months, (1) right at a YEAR !!!
    The PlayBooks had to be transferred from multiple stores, in each case the managers were glad to get rid of them.
    2: Managers said sales were few and far between, and stated a LARGE percentage of the FEW units they sold were RETURNED, main reason? .LACK OF APPS, LACK OF ADVANCED FEATURES within apps themselves, LACK of GOOGLE PLAY, NEFLIX, HULU, GOOGLE MAPS (offline), SKYPE, stuff like that.
    3: Sales reps when the word PlayBook was mentioned basically said, Good hardware, OS good,but people just don't like it (Again the lack of apps)
    4: SUPPORT= I've read during the warranty period RIM , if you contact them on a HARDWARE ISSUE they will try to hit you up for $50 before you can talk with a tech? (Once you get past that, RIM is supposed to be pretty responsive)
    5: SUPPORT = PlayBook customers are TOTALLY dependent on RIM for OS updates, bug patches, getting features added to the OS, built in OS apps.
    6: SUPPORT via Online forums= Numbers of persons who "know" the OS, or may RESPOND to your posts are FEW and FAR between on "advanced" problems, Unlike the Android forums there are very few people that hang out on these boards that can can create /modify system files... persons that could code a fix to xyz problem (bug), or add a feature.
    7: I just read there is no bluetooth API for the playbook, and AdHoc WIFI networking doesn't work on the Playbook? WTF?
    Currently there is no bluetooth API for the playbook. It is supposed to be available in BB10. An Arduino with a WIFI shield is probably your best bet and streaming sockets from the playbook to the Arduino. Unfortunately you will need a WIFI access point between the two as AdHoc WIFI networking doesn't work on the Playbook.
    8: Micro USB port does not do USB OTG. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go
    USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated USB OTG, is a specification that allows USB devices such as digital audio players or mobile phones to act as a host, allowing other USB devices like a USB flash drive, mouse, or keyboard to be attached to them. Unlike conventional USB systems, USB OTG systems can drop the hosting role and act as normal USB devices when attached to another host. This can be used to allow a mobile phone to act as host for a flash drive and read its contents, downloading music for instance, but then act as a flash drive when plugged into a host computer and allow the host to read off the new content.
    (OTG allows you to connect say a flash drive /card reader and transfer files back and forth...This is useful if say you have something called a "Digital Camera" and you want offload pics to PlayBook so you can e-mail them off /backup to.)

My impression is unlike Android OS powered devices if you have a problem that requires coding to fix the problem OR are wanting a feature added you are totally dependent on RIM to address, add a feature. RIM is out of touch with what mainstream customers want out of a device both from a app standpoint, and integration with "Non-BlackBerry" devices. PlayBook was priced too high until recently. Poor Eco-System /selection of apps compared to competitors. Only a few people that know the OS that are able to access system files directly.
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-29-12 at 10:26 AM.
    bk1022 likes this.
    11-29-12 10:03 AM
    To put those numbers into perspective:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...3/#post7720765
    Since we're being honest about the PlayBook's success, I thnk a comparison to other tablets on the market may be germane to this discussion.

"Apple Sells Three Million iPads in Three Days
    Wi-Fi Only Models of New iPad mini & Fourth Generation iPad Double Previous First Weekend Sales."

This particular tablet manufacturer sold about twice the number of tablets in 3 days as RIM has ever sold. Remember this number doesn't include iPad 2 sales. More importantly, the LTE versions (out in less than a month) of the mini were not offered for sale on that weekend.
    BlackBerry PlayBook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Read the above, read the below noticing the 16GB model originally shipped at $499, while the 32GB and 64GB versions initially listed at $599 and $699, respectively. Ouch!

BlackBerry PlayBook Reception and sales

Various sources put the sales figure on launch day alone at approximately 50,000, exceeding expectations.[31] RIM announced in its quarterly earnings that half a million PlayBook tablets were shipped in the first quarter.[32] However, after lukewarm market reception, there were reports that the company revised its second-quarter estimates from 2.4 million down to 800,000 – 900,000 units.[33] When RIM announced their second quarter financial results, they revealed that they shipped 200,000 units.[5][34] The combined unit shipment of 700,000 units during the first two quarter of release was only a small fraction of the 2–3 million units per quarter many had anticipated before the device's introduction. Following several months of poor sales RIM started discounting the price of Playbook from its original $499 retail price to $300 at many outlets in late *September 2011.[35] The price was further reduced to $199 at various retail outlets in both Canada and US in November due to apparent low market demand.[36]
    As of September 1, 2012, Research In Motion has shipped 1.74 million BlackBerry PlayBook units.
    RE: RIM started discounting the price of Playbook from its original $499 retail price to $300 at many outlets in late *September 2011.[35] The price was further reduced to $199 at various retail outlets in both Canada and US in November due to apparent low market demand.

Due to POOR sales, prices were dropped even further... 64GB model which was $699 dropping to $149... hence why sales here recently have picked up.
    The 16GB model originally shipped at $499, while the 32GB and 64GB versions initially listed at $599 and $699, respectively.

Silver lining for RIM and indirectly to those desiring "xyz" app?
    There has been a large number of PlayBooks sold recently, Warehouses, retailers getting rid of DEAD stock... If they can get out BB10 OS update soon and they don't strip out the ability to run Android apps not sourced from Rim's "App World" persons who recently purchased may consider RIM on there next tablet, phone purchase. More units "out there" = more market share=More developers=more apps.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-29-12 at 11:28 AM.
    11-29-12 11:17 AM
    Your joke used non-factual, over-exagerated terms. Most of your comments were negative and really does anyone need negative things in their life?
    11-29-12 02:55 PM
    Man, that was a long winded way of saying they (RIM) don't have enough market share.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-29-12 05:09 PM
    Man, that was a long winded way of saying they (RIM) don't have enough market share.
    Yep, and RIM if they were smart needs to focus on what caused PlayBook 1st gen (1ghz) to be such a commercial failure.

11-30-12 12:56 AM
    Yep, and RIM if they were smart needs to focus on what caused PlayBook 1st gen (1ghz) to be such a commercial failure.

We can all speculate but ...

The miserable reviews due to NO Native Email.
    No reasonable App pool.
    Comparison to the ipad.
    Very poor PR/ads

Rim introduced a tablet as if they were the only ones with no competition. They were immediately compared to what the ipad could do and its app pool. And Android tabs were also out there and growing. They never "sold" Bridge. They missed the boat with their 80 million subscribers.

Things might still be weak but let's see.
    kbz1960 and WeAreNotAlone like this.
    11-30-12 08:51 AM
    We can all speculate but ...

The miserable reviews due to NO Native Email.
    No reasonable App pool.
    Comparison to the ipad.
    Very poor PR/ads
    The native email was a big one, but don't forget about the price. It was a 7" tablet priced like the 10" premium iPad. In retrospect, that was some impressive hubris for RIM to price it that way. If it started off at say $250, I think it would have been a big hit.
    11-30-12 08:55 AM
    The native email was a big one, but don't forget about the price. It was a 7" tablet priced like the 10" premium iPad. In retrospect, that was some impressive hubris for RIM to price it that way. If it started off at say $250, I think it would have been a big hit.
    I wonder what would have been a reasonable cost, based on manufacturing and development costs. It was built with some high quality aspects and that could not have come cheap. Also, "we" use to be willing to pay more for miniaturization - it definitely was more pocketable/portable than the ipad. It felt nicer in hand than the Android thing my friend had at the time and had a much nicer screen.
    11-30-12 11:16 AM
    It was too expensive -- they dropped the price and told early adopters to eat it (opposite of what Jobs did with Apple)
    It lacked email app -- took them forever to add it, meanwhile didn't want third party email clients, so you were SOL
    It lacked an eco system, and still does -- largely because of poor business management, not technical problems.
    It has charging problems -- MicroAB port for charging is horrible and breaks; odd battery drain issues; originally couldn't charge at all if battery was dead; magnetic charger docks frequently just don't work.
    General lack of support for wireless products, etc.
    Effectively impossible to find accessories for it in a brick and mortar store.
    General lack of enthusiasm from retailers.

If you listen to RIM's some supporters here, you'd think that RIM had turned over a new leaf, but that's just the rose coloured glasses. The real problem is that RIM consistently has made poor decisions and has unfortunately turned a deaf ear to its customers. When Apple released a Maps app that was an epic fail, they made it very clear: they have heard, they are acting; it will be fixed. There is at least some consolation that someone is forced to fall on his sword (maps app and antenna issue.) When you look at RIM, no one ever falls on his sword, apologies are scarce and they remain tone deaf to the victims they leave in their wake. I curious to know if you think RIM will focus on the true problems.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    11-30-12 11:49 AM
    That was a long winded way to say that RIM has its head up its rear-end, or better said, very poor managers.
    Too many folks are stuck in the first state of grief - denial - and prefer not to identity or acknowledge problems or shortcomings.

Be proactive first, find and fix issues, and then more on.

The relatively good thing for RIM is that the other players in the space has not made much improvements with the software, IMHO.
    12-01-12 08:59 AM