I dont know why RIM locked the kernel of PB and why developers didnt broken it yet, i'm dreaming to install Windows 8 on my playbook.
    I think if i am a PB owner i am free to install on it any OS compatible with it.

You think this will be possible in future?
    01-25-13 03:19 AM
    No. That's the whole point of security.

RIM goes out of their way to have the most secure OS possible. If you want Windows 8, why did you buy a Playbook, you should return it,or sell it and buy a Windows 8 tablet.

Si.
    01-25-13 03:27 AM
    Tbh, I use a Windows 8 OS. I never use the apps. I've looked at the app store and could see potential for people with tablets/ phones though. But its still lacking compared to Android and iOS in terms of, not just number, but quality of apps.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-25-13 03:39 AM
    When i bought the PB there wasn't Windows 8 Tablet, but i like my PB and dont like it's OS
    01-25-13 03:41 AM
    When you bought the hardware and use it you agree to its terms of use. Like they said go buy a real windows 8 tablet. you will enjoy it more.

I dont know why RIM locked the kernel of PB and why developers didnt broken it yet, i'm dreaming to install Windows 8 on my playbook.
    I think if i am a PB owner i am free to install on it any OS compatible with it.

You think this will be possible in future?
    01-25-13 03:43 AM
    When you bought the hardware and use it you agree to its terms of use. Like they said go buy a real windows 8 tablet. you will enjoy it more.
    When we bought a tablet we agree with its OS on that date, but it must be updated with new features and new options, i think all versions of playbook OS looks the same. We must have a new generation of OS
    01-25-13 03:47 AM
    When we bought a tablet we agree with its OS on that date, but it must be updated with new features and new options, i think all versions of playbook OS looks the same. We must have a new generation of OS
    And BB10 will be coming to the Playbook.

When you agree to the terms of use it's not just for that date. If you actually read the terms it's quite clear about the fact that it's not a single date that is included in the agreement.

I'm not sure how you can prefer Windows 8 to the QNX OS on the Playbook, but to each their own.

Si.
    blusls, DocDRM, mpetrol and 1 others like this.
    01-25-13 04:02 AM
    We must have a new generation of OS
    Like BB10, for example?

Chris.

EDIT: Dammit! Simu beat me to it...
    DocDRM and blusls like this.
    01-25-13 04:02 AM
    Like BB10, for example?

Chris.

EDIT: Dammit! Simu beat me to it...
    I wish BB10 will bring us to next generation, but are you sure PB will have the BB10 ?
    01-25-13 04:08 AM
    Mohamed Ali Mchala;7883652]I dont know why RIM locked the kernel of PB

Because...

#BB10Believe
    01-25-13 04:54 AM
    Mohamed Ali Mchala;7883652]I dont know why RIM locked the kernel of PB

Because...

#BB10Believe
    Because what???

I mean that when i buy a tablet i dont like to be limited with it's OS, i want to have a free Dos and install on it what i find the better OS
    01-25-13 05:06 AM
    Sell the PB, and use the funds towards a Win 8 device....
    blusls likes this.
    01-25-13 05:13 AM
    Because what???

I mean that when i buy a tablet i dont like to be limited with it's OS, i want to have a free Dos and install on it what i find the better OS
    Then buy one that offers you that. It's pretty straightforward.
    01-25-13 05:14 AM
    I guess you'll have to buy one of those tablets that are just hardware and no software and install the OS of your choosing. But until those exist, I guess you'll have to settle for purchasing a tablet from a company, who in a crazy attempt to turn a profit, design a product and implement their own OS on it.
    01-25-13 05:24 AM
    I'm not sure how you can prefer Windows 8 to the QNX OS on the Playbook, but to each their own.

Okay that is a bit extreme. Windows 8 has a lot of potential to it, just like bb10. I really hope Windows 8 and bb10 gain marketshare.

BTW, Windows RT is different from Windows 8. The Windows 8 Surface is very expensive ~�570 or something. It is more or like the playbook in terms of build - great hardware but with the entire ecosystem. But I reckon its aimed at different people. The surface is more of a laptop - you'll use it to replace a LOT of things from the desktop whereas the playbook is more a companion to the desktop and something to use on the go.
    01-25-13 05:36 AM
    Because what???

No offense but, put on your big boy pants... Please.
    01-25-13 06:23 AM
    Because what???

Sorry dude, RIM is known for their OS being the most secure mobile OS out there. You can't buy an iPad and put your own OS on it either. Get a cheap no name Android tablet and root it and put whatever version of Android on it. Oh wait, you still HAVE TO use an ANDROID OS....
    Last edited by QuIcKsIlV3r; 01-25-13 at 06:53 AM.
    DocDRM likes this.
    01-25-13 06:42 AM
    Because what???

This was purely lack of research on your part. You will be happier with another tablet, perhaps an android tablet if you want the android apps. Would you be saying the same thing about the iPad if you had purchased that instead?
    amrovi2014, spike12 and DocDRM like this.
    01-25-13 06:46 AM
    Why? Just... why? Its not RIMs fault. Get the tablet you want regardless of cost. There are plenty of windows 8 tablets out there. RIM doesn't need to do anything for you if you don't like their product or can't afford their competitor. That's a ridiculous expectation. If you need the extra cash, sell your playbook to someone who wants it.
    Sorry, I seem to be grumpy this morning. Save your money and buy what works for you.
    01-25-13 06:56 AM
    My idea is why Tablets dont become like PCs, you can install on it any OS you like, imagine if that's possible, QNX funs can install it, and Android funs can too, and Windows funs can install their favourite OS, why Tablets can be free Dos and we will be more free to install what we want and try every OS to find the more likely for us
    01-25-13 07:08 AM
    Haven't you upgraded to version 2? It is a significant upgrade. Read today's forum info about poor Surface Table0t!
    01-25-13 07:17 AM
    My idea is why Tablets dont become like PCs, you can install on it any OS you like, imagine if that's possible, QNX funs can install it, and Android funs can too, and Windows funs can install their favourite OS, why Tablets can be free Dos and we will be more free to install what we want and try every OS to find the more likely for us
    Tablets are like mobile phones more than computers. When is the last time you put iOS or WP8 on an Android device (fully functional), or WP8 on a BlackBerry? It doesnt really happen.
    DocDRM likes this.
    01-25-13 07:26 AM
    I wish BB10 will bring us to next generation, but are you sure PB will have the BB10 ?
    I'm guessing with only 10 posts on the forums, and over half of those in this thread, you haven't been here for long.

So I'll politely request that you do a search of the forums for "BB10 on Playbook"... there are a good shed-load of threads on that topic. To answer your question... YES, BB10 WILL BE COMING TO THE PLAYBOOK!

Si.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-25-13 07:31 AM
    First, let me say this- when I bought my PB, I didn't agree to anything, so any TOS that I was subsequently forced to agree to in order to use the product that I had already purchased is meaningless to me.

Second, and more to the OP's original question, I'm not sure where all the apparent hostility is coming from. I, and I suppose many of us, have a Windows desktop PC and a Windows laptop, both running Windows 7. I am happy with both computers and I like the operating systems and their capabilities. However, I have the choice to load Ubuntu or some other linux based OS on my PCs, either to replace Windows entirely or to run along side of Windows in a dual boot machine. While I am not in fact doing so now, I have in the past dual booted my PC to run both Windows and Ubuntu. It was and is a choice that I had and have, and to me, the consumer, having that choice is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Now I understand that I don't have that choice to dual boot or to replace the stock OS on my PB, and, as far as I know, I also don't have that choice on Apple or Android devices. I also understand why Apple and Google and RIM don't want me to have that choice- if I replace the operating system on one of their devices I will no longer be purchasing apps from their respective app stores, and that's money out of their pockets. Maybe there are technical reasons that I am not aware of that would prevent loading other operating systems on these devices or other downsides to doing so, that I am also not aware of. The bottom line, as far as I can tell, and to actually try to answer the OP's question, RIM doesn't unlock the kernel because they believe that it's in their own best interest not to do so.
    DOCTOREVIL8 and PatrickMJS like this.
    01-25-13 07:41 AM
    Suppose that you somehow could bypass RIM security on PB and that you really do want another OS (which is beyond me, but let's play on). The purpose of the OS is to manage hardware resources and PB hardware is different than that of Windows tablets. Heck, they are all different and any OS must first be adapted to. You may have the impression that because you can install your Windows on any PC you can apply the same to tablets. Not so. All PC hardware is essentially the same (to a prescribed standard) and the differences are handled by crapillion of "Drivers". Mobile OSes have only the drivers they need for the device inside of them...
    eddy_berry likes this.
    01-25-13 07:44 AM
56 123