Just picked up my playbook for 199 at radio shack. Still trying to learn all the ins and outs of it. Sorta tech stupid but wanna learn. Hope to figure out the whole android app thing and find some good games. Also wanna be able to use in conjunction with my 9650 that i just got a week ago. Sorta ghetto unlocked with t-mobile card. Still no internet service. WTF?
    01-29-12 09:59 AM
    Hey Todd, Cool! You'll love it! I thought to run the android apps you had to root the PB and do a few things to make them run. I would say that, since Feb is about here and we are expecting OS 2.0, you might wanna hold off.

On the phone thing, I've used quite a few unlocked phones on T-Mobile and most of them work well. What I can tell you is that you need to go to your advanced system settings, and make sure the APN says, "epc.tmobile.com", without the quotes, in order to get to the Internet. Most likely it was left on the prior carrier's settings. Since you now have a T-Mobile SIM card in the phone, you're not on the prior carriers network. Also, I wasn't able to use anything over EDGE, even though the phone I was using was 3G. It gets somewhat involved and I later found out ALL is not the same just because the phone is unlocked.
    Have a blast!
    01-29-12 11:15 AM
    Thanls imac ill look into it now. Can i go into the advanced system settings on my own? Thay may be why the internet hasnt worked yet. The guy that unlocked it said it would take 2 days and the t-mobile rep said a week. i think both of them just wanted me gone. lol
    01-29-12 02:29 PM
    Thanls imac ill look into it now. Can i go into the advanced system settings on my own? Thay may be why the internet hasnt worked yet. The guy that unlocked it said it would take 2 days and the t-mobile rep said a week. i think both of them just wanted me gone. lol
    Yeah, perhaps. I will admit it can take a few hours and they often tell you later than sooner, but a week is ridiculous.
    Not sure about the 9650 but most are similar. For OS6 and OS7

Go to Options -> Device -> Advanced System Settings -> TCP IP and you should see it there.
    Then APN: epc.tmobile.com

Leave user name for APN and Password for APN empty.
    01-29-12 07:23 PM
    Thanks imac just put it in. Hope it works in a few.
    01-30-12 02:32 PM
    I have had my playbook since release date. Even back then I really enjoyed the product. I would have to say my only complaint was the power button. Once they released the update with the "Power off, Stand By and Restart" buttons, I was set.

It seems that every day there is a list of new apps coming out that are quality and are useful. The games are pretty cool (NOVA2, Starfront) and really run great.

Recently I installed the app Splashtop which is a remote desktop application that supports everything under the sun. It is on sale now for $4.99 regular $19.99. Last time I was out of town (for 5 days), I took only my PlayBook and I would have to say that I do not think there was a thing I needed the laptop with me for. It sure made the backpack a lot lighter. I also saw another that got recently released called "Remote Desktop for Blackberry Playbook" for $6.99 that looks pretty good, but only supports Windows targets since it uses RDP.

I just upgraded to 7.1 on my 9900 and once v2.0 comes out, I will upgrade to that also. Really interested in the keyboard and mouse via the BB 9900 to the playbook. That will make the remote desktop stuff even better. Have not played much with the new features, but did try the mobile hot spot and that worked very well (and easy to setup).

Personally I have not found the PlayBook to be lacking in anything except apps. For the apps though there were only 2 functions that I was missing, Skype and RDP. I now have RDP and Skype is not that big of a deal as I bought a PlayBook for home and the wife and kids just use the video chat and it works great. For everything else it does exactly what I need it to do. I really like that it fits in my jacket pocket and in the summer, fits nice in my cargo shorts in the side pocket. It is good for reading with Kobo (been meaning to look at the other EPub readers) and also for watching movies. I have even plugged it into the HDMI on the TV and watched a movie that way.

Oh and one more thing, the rapid charger. This thing works fast! I can charge in about a quarter of the time it takes the USB connector (plugged to the wall, not a computer). If you try the USB in a computer, forget about it, it will take forever to charge.

Anyway, my two bits. Enjoy.
    01-31-12 10:47 PM
    Great post martinc! Glad you are enjoying the PB.
    01-31-12 11:30 PM
    The Bold 9900 is offered for $300+$18 upgrade fee, and of course tax, for TMO subscribers. I think that is way too high for upgrade pricing. All of these devices come and go too quick. So, I spent the $300 on the Playbook and got a lot more for my money. The only thing missing was the ability to make phone calls. That's where the 9360 curve came into the picture, to mate with the PB. My upgrade pricing leaves me with a final $106 for the 9360 after rebate.

The PB was exactly $299 + nothing. For a grand total of $406, I ended up with two of the latest BB products. Since I have so much equipment to carry for work as a field service engineer, the size, power, and value for this pair makes for an outstanding deal!!! I love how thin and light the new curve is, and for me the keyboard on it is great.

I had bridged the playbook for about two weeks to my unlocked 9530 I was using on TMO and even that worked fairly well, for when I had no WiFi access. It is considerably better and faster when bridged to the 9360 3G.

To have a tablet of these hardware specs and its capability, and not have the need for built in 3G + another data plan is tremendous in my opinion! Bridging was a brilliant idea as well. Perhaps seen as a band aid at first, it's anything but. It's effortless, and when disconnected all personal contacts and email are gone with it. Using the playbook at times as an external extension of your BB or just for a quick connection is phenomenal. When on a WiFi network, it's one powerful microcomputer. I'm not really sure native email and contacts are even necessary. Why sync when you can have it all in one place? And then not. Its web browsing is truly the only tablet I have seen that comes close to the regular desktop web browsing we all know.

For anyone sitting on the fence, it is truly a nice combination you won't regret. I spent weeks thinking about it and even let the Black Friday sales go by.
    The shopblackberry.com sale ends tomorrow, Sat 1/28/12 for anyone interested and some of the stores may continue until stock is depleted. You can still get the 64GB for only $299.
    Do you mind me asking you how you use the tablet in your environment or in the field?

Great post, and please ignore what will be a wagon train of naysaying trolls who will voice their obssessive opposition to your most objective assessment of PB use in the real "professional" world.

Thanks.
    Got it. Those who have a different opinion than you are automatically trolls or paid apple employees.

Please describe to me how the "PB (can be) use in the real "professional" world," because I still cannot find a use for a tablet that a professional grade tablet pc couldn't do.

Btw, I see people carrying around keyboards with their tablet. I think when you start to carry around keyboards with tablets, then you defeat the entire purpose of increased portability imho.
    02-01-12 04:08 AM
    [...]
    Please describe to me how the "PB (can be) use in the real "professional" world," because I still cannot find a use for a tablet that a professional grade tablet pc couldn't do.

Btw, I see people carrying around keyboards with their tablet. I think when you start to carry around keyboards with tablets, then you defeat the entire purpose of increased portability imho.
    Well, I must say I'm on beta 2.0.0.7111, but I think most of my usage will also run on 1.0.8.

On a daily basis (work related only):
    - Access to my work desktop (forgot something ? 2 taps, a mail, I'm back) and servers (restart a service, view a log, add parameters ...) with Remote Desktop .
    - Email, agenda, contacts (bridged to 9900)
    - HD stunning demos (I'm a web dev), on the PB itself (wifi/bridged browser), or on a HDMI device.

What can't others ? bridge + HDMI HD + angle of vision of the screen + ... *wow* effect, believe me (I even have to schedule at least 10 minutes for demoing the PB each time ... lol, isn't very productive, but makes my day).

... what else ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-01-12 at 04:55 AM.
    02-01-12 04:52 AM
    Well, I must say I'm on beta 2.0.0.7111, but I think most of my usage will also run on 1.0.8.

On a daily basis (work related only):
    - Access to my work desktop (forgot something ? 2 taps, a mail, I'm back) and servers (restart a service, view a log, add parameters ...) with Remote Desktop .
    - Email, agenda, contacts (bridged to 9900)
    - HD stunning demos (I'm a web dev), on the PB itself (wifi/bridged browser), or on a HDMI device.

What can't others ? bridge + HDMI HD + angle of vision of the screen + ... *wow* effect, believe me (I even have to schedule at least 10 minutes for demoing the PB each time ... lol, isn't very productive, but makes my day).

... what else ?
    Thank you for the response. But everything you said can be done on a BB or a tablet pc and you have more powerful tools at your disposal (especially with RDP). A pb doesn't add any additional functionality except for being more portable. However, this advantage becomes moot (imho) when people start to carry around cumbersome keyboards. And you are not limited to a stripped down OS with a tablet pc.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 02-01-12 at 12:29 PM.
    02-01-12 12:25 PM
    Do you mind me asking you how you use the tablet in your environment or in the field?

Got it. Those who have a different opinion than you are automatically trolls or paid apple employees.

Hello Pearl9100,

I don't mind at all.
    My PB is used for personal use. My employer requires me to use their equipment in the field. I am supplied with a simple Dell laptop and a BB 9700. Along with all the other gear I carry, I would like to have my own equipment for personal use. I simply do not use my employer issued devices for my personal needs. It's not just a discipline thing, it's my family and friends and I prefer to keep the two worlds separate.

With that said, The smaller lighter PB coupled with my personal phone, 9360, make for little additional weight with yet a very practical equivalent, so that I can be connected, keep in touch, surf, make purchases, read, attend my online classes, complete my homework assignments, and it simply becomes an extension of my home life while I am on the road.

While the BB phone can do a lot, I find it is not practical for much of what I do on the Internet. I can not go into my online class and complete an assignment, or take a quiz. It's also not practical for reading a book, especially an e-textbook, or making an e-Bay purchase. When I fly, the PB and my employer provided laptop is practical, while an 11 inch tablet and laptop is really a bit much, especially if it is enclosed in a protective case. That's a few reasons I went with the PB.

I also don't like to write or reply to all of my e-mail from a phone, short messages are great but the longer one's are far more comfortable on the PB. As I mentioned earlier, the bridge application is outstanding, keeping all of my e-mail still on one device. I understand that most things can be done on other brand tablets. But for the money and the specs, it was an outstanding purchase. You can NOT get a 64GB tablet with the specs of the PB processor and 1 GB of RAM for $299 from anyone else that I have seen. In addition, other manufacturers want to sell you a 3G version for approximately $100 more, and a monthly plan to go with it. I have found that is completely unnecessary with the PB. Realizing the others can be tethered in most cases, with the PB/BB combinations it's actually built with that configuration to be intentional, and works flawlessly. Considering the smaller size screen, I find the resolution is as good and better than most tablets. The HD video is awesome, and as far as the apps go, the only one I feel I'm missing at the moment is Skype, and perhaps a Barnes & Noble e-reader app.

If I did have the option to use the PB on the job it is fully capable of SSH, VPN, or a more traditional GUI, remote desktop, if need be. I do use those tools to connect into small networks on the job. The instruments I work with are computer driven by a typical desktop workstation and a server for the common database they all share. Considering, e-mail, service docs, diagrams, service reports, electronic customer signature, time cards, scheduling, etc., I look at it from a different perspective than what you asked. I don't think, I personally, need a laptop anymore. It can all be done from the PB. I'm sure that many would feel in that case a larger screen would be a great benefit. I think the label of "Professional Grade Tablet" was pointed more at how RIM felt their product is built, perhaps time will tell how true that is. Imho, I thought of it more along the lines of how several computer manufacturers consider some of their hardware to "enterprise quality" as opposed to "consumer retail quality".

Naturally my screen name does reflect that I am a big fan of Apple products. T-Mobile offers me the biggest bang for the buck on a fully unlimited family plan, and as we know they don't have the iPhone. Therefore, I stuck with the BB devices and I do love them. While many people think the PB is too small, I consider it to be 3X the size of an iPhone and for what I need, every bit as useful.
    Last edited by imacj; 02-05-12 at 08:34 AM.
    Skrilla#CB likes this.
    02-04-12 02:47 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD