The iPad can't do a right-click for two reasons...

PlayBook Geek: Whitespace: Right-Click

Why don't we have a right click on the PlayBook?
    05-18-11 06:08 PM
    The iPad can't do a right-click for two reasons...

PlayBook Geek: Whitespace: Right-Click

Why don't we have a right click on the PlayBook?
    on the playbook they use the `press and hold` situation described in the article you linked.
    05-18-11 06:11 PM
    I don't understand what you are saying (or the linked article for that matter). Touch devices use gestures and long holds on items to get extra functionality from interfacing with the device. Long holds are almost always used to bring up a context menu for the object on the screen you are touching just like a right click would. Physically a right click feature on a touch screen device doesn't even make sense.
    05-18-11 06:28 PM
    Double tap works. It worked for zombieland
    Long hold as mentioned earlier is the usual form of right click as it brings up a context menu

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 06:50 PM
    You folks are way too patient. Long hold is too slow.

The only reason I started using trackpads on the MacBook was when double tab instantly brought up the context menu. Finally I had a touch device with a true right-click.

Double tab makes perfect sense on a Mac trackpad. It has the same semantics on a PB screen. I'd like to see it.
    05-18-11 07:58 PM
    Because it doesnt have a mouse, double tab zooms, and press/hold brings up options.
    05-18-11 08:08 PM
    You folks are way too patient. Long hold is too slow.

The only reason I started using trackpads on the MacBook was when double tab instantly brought up the context menu. Finally I had a touch device with a true right-click.

Double tab makes perfect sense on a Mac trackpad. It has the same semantics on a PB screen. I'd like to see it.
    apart from double tap being the `norm` for zooming in/out on most touchscreen smartphones.

i timed it for ya, 1.54 seconds (give or take for clicking stopwatch) to bring up context menu. sub 2 seconds wouldnt come in as a slow time in my opinion.
    05-18-11 08:08 PM
    It would be cool if they could incorporate the bezel into it. Something like touch upper left corner + tap on screen
    05-18-11 08:13 PM
    .......... a right click feature on a touch screen device doesn't even make sense.
    If you're 1100 miles from home and you are logged into your wife's laptop with logmein in an effort to help her solve a computer problem, having the ability to perform something akin to a right click would make all kind of sense.
    05-18-11 09:10 PM
    That article isn't even correct... To right click on the magic mouse you just have to make sure your middle finger is the only one touching the mouse and that it is on the right side of the mouse when you click.
    05-18-11 09:30 PM
    if you really wanted the best implementation for a right click, use what wacom and bamboo use in their graphics touchpad/stylus products for the pc.

while one finger is on the item (imagine placing mouse over icon) with another finger tap the screen anywhere. works great for me with my graphics tablet, but honestly 1.5 seconds for the context menu is so small its not even worth arguing over
    tharrison4815 likes this.
    05-18-11 09:51 PM
    That article isn't even correct... To right click on the magic mouse you just have to make sure your middle finger is the only one touching the mouse and that it is on the right side of the mouse when you click.
    But please note: that is not what I said...

I was careful to describe the process exactly. If you leave your left finger resting on the magic mouse, and then tap with your right finger, you get a LEFT CLICK. Try it!. Who said you must lift your left finger to do a right click?

Do exactly the same gesture on an Apple track pad, and you get a right click (as expected).

The mouse gesture is not a problem for people who lift their left finger when right clicking. But many people - myself included - leave their left finger resting on the mouse when right clicking. This is not a problem with every mouse on the planet except for one.

Oddly enough NO ONE lifts their left finger when right clicking on a track pad because that would not be a right click
    05-19-11 05:41 AM
    if you really wanted the best implementation for a
    while one finger is on the item (imagine placing mouse over icon) with another finger tap the screen anywhere. works great for me with my graphics tablet,
    That's it!

but honestly 1.5 seconds for the context menu is so small its not even worth arguing over
    But cumulative effect is significant. For example: When I come to a forum like this, I will right-click to open in a new tab all postings that interest me before I start reading. That adds up to 20 seconds real fast.

BTW: RIM need to add a browser option to 'not make new tabs active' - like in Safari and FF. Having to switch back to the original tab gets to be a pain particularly when more than 4 tabs are open as the first tab scrolls out of view.
    05-19-11 06:04 AM
    If you're 1100 miles from home and you are logged into your wife's laptop with logmein in an effort to help her solve a computer problem, having the ability to perform something akin to a right click would make all kind of sense.
    Well it's up to logmein to implement the ability to right click with only a left click available. Alternatively there is a VNC client in the app store. I've not used it but I presume it has a right click ability.
    05-19-11 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD