Was really hoping to get a PB once it is (in my mind) ready. I am hoping this will be once OS2 is released. It got me thinking how many PBs would have been sold in April if it was running a finished OS6 got OS7 in September and OS2 in November. Come on RIM "finish" the dang thing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 04:01 PM
    OS6 and OS7 on a PB? No no no.

Read some more before you post things like this :-).

The PB doesn't run the same OS as on Blackberries. They are 2 different platforms (for now). The PB runs QNX as an OS.
    bounce007, batboris and mozzamay like this.
    10-22-11 04:04 PM
    I don't even know where to begin on this, so I won't.
    narci likes this.
    10-22-11 04:32 PM
    *sigh*

I.... I better just not type anymore...
    10-22-11 04:37 PM
    'Carrier: RIM'

Explains a lot.
    anon(2757538) likes this.
    10-22-11 04:39 PM
    Was really hoping to get a PB once it is (in my mind) ready. I am hoping this will be once OS2 is released. It got me thinking how many PBs would have been sold in April if it was running a finished OS6 got OS7 in September and OS2 in November. Come on RIM "finish" the dang thing!

BlackBerry OS 6 or OS 7 on a tablet?! If you're gonna have a go at RIM at least have a solid one mate... *smh and leaves room in disappointment*
    10-22-11 05:35 PM
    My vote for funny topic of the day
    batboris and anon(490042) like this.
    10-22-11 05:46 PM

I understand and agree with your last sentence.
    10-22-11 05:52 PM
    The guy was suggesting that maybe the playbook would've been better if they used BB OS6 (instead of QNX), then jumped to OS7, and then later moved to what OS2 offers.

People need to get off their condescending attitudes and actually read what the guy wrote before responding. I personally don't know what could've happened but I am guessing someone has a pointedly negative answer =p
    KRol, MADBRADNYC and KQ9 like this.
    10-23-11 12:30 AM
    Someday, the PlayBook will be running OS6... but I'm not looking beyond OS2 at the moment.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    10-23-11 01:32 AM
    The guy was suggesting that maybe the playbook would've been better if they used BB OS6 (instead of QNX), then jumped to OS7, and then later moved to what OS2 offers.

People need to get off their condescending attitudes and actually read what the guy wrote before responding. I personally don't know what could've happened but I am guessing someone has a pointedly negative answer =p
    It's called due diligence. Lack thereof invites derision.
    10-23-11 02:16 AM

+1............................
    10-23-11 02:17 AM

It would have been a huge Blackberry phone. With oversized everything including apps, and they would look horrible, and waste developers time to make an app for the bigger resolution only to have it replaced by OS7 and again by OS2. 3 major changes in a short time = developers lose faith
    10-23-11 09:45 AM
    You should not want any BlackBerry running OS6 or OS7! Maybe ONX if Rim gets some help.
    10-23-11 09:56 AM
    Wow. OP here. Tough crowd here on CB. Sorry to speculate out loud on what I think could have been a better launch of the playbook. I am like many people out there and I am looking at tablets as a possible replacement for managing my digital life. I have been watching ALL the tablet platforms to possibly replace an aging windows laptop. I have been a BB user for many years. Right now I manage my digital life on a 9970 running OS6 and the above mentioned laptop. Would I buy the current PB hardware and run BBOS6 or BBOS7 (like at ridiculous speeds!) and all the apps I currently have? Yes! Would I buy the above functional configuration and the mere PROMISE of QNX/BBX/TabletOS2.0; whatever they end up calling it when it is finished. Double YES! Would I buy the current PB hardware and the OS1.0.7.x that it provides. No.

By all reports the hardware at launch was (and remains) state of the art. The software can only be called INCOMPLETE. It is useful to many and obviously as powerful as the best competitors but currently it will NOT do what I need it to replace. Your Milage May Vary. To appease those that probably don't get out much I should also indicate that none of the competitors units do it yet either but someone will get there soon enough. RIM could sell a significant number of PBs if they were to FINISH it. They could sell even more if they develop and support it properly.

Currently my best solution remains a netbook and I remain tabletless.

/And YES RIM is my provider; I refuse to type the name of any of the ISPs in this country but it is good to know some people love theirs

10-23-11 10:09 AM
    The OP has some solid points... Although his idea wouldn't have worked with the resolution issues.... But perhaps it would have, look at what Apple has done... What the OP suggested was EXACTLY what Apple did, and even if you don't like their product, you HAVE to admit that they've been successful. Perhaps changing the resolution would have been much easier, would have had bbm, bbm groups, email, calendar, etc etc

Also one other point. OS7 is a pretty dang nice lookin OS and has every feature in the book.

Tell me this... As far as appearance goes, there aren't to many differences between OS7 and tablet 1.0

Give the guy a break, his out of the box thinking I believe would have been a bigger success than the feature missing, media slamming, ever-waiting-for-an-update Tablet OS.

I'd rather drive a 2009 Cadillac with EVERY option than a 2011 bare bones BMW... Yes... Once QNX gets its 'options' it'll be better, but as for now... Its not.

Last edited by 123berryaddicted; 10-23-11 at 10:35 AM.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    10-23-11 10:20 AM
    Can you hear the tune of Deliverance....
    10-23-11 11:51 AM
    The OP has some solid points... Although his idea wouldn't have worked with the resolution issues.... But perhaps it would have, look at what Apple has done... What the OP suggested was EXACTLY what Apple did, and even if you don't like their product, you HAVE to admit that they've been successful. Perhaps changing the resolution would have been much easier, would have had bbm, bbm groups, email, calendar, etc etc

Also one other point. OS7 is a pretty dang nice lookin OS and has every feature in the book.

Tell me this... As far as appearance goes, there aren't to many differences between OS7 and tablet 1.0

Give the guy a break, his out of the box thinking I believe would have been a bigger success than the feature missing, media slamming, ever-waiting-for-an-update Tablet OS.

I'd rather drive a 2009 Cadillac with EVERY option than a 2011 bare bones BMW... Yes... Once QNX gets its 'options' it'll be better, but as for now... Its not.

I hate when people start a post by saying… “I love my PlayBook/BlackBerry, but..”, so I always let the fact that I own them speak for itself…
    I fail to understand what is wrong with the OPs post. He is wondering, reaching, thinking out the box. Something that I think RIM lacks and some members follow right in suit with them.
    Immediately there are statements like…
    Read some more before you post things like this
    From someone who did not read & comprhend the OPs post…
    BlackBerry OS 6 or OS 7 on a tablet?!
    I see no reason why not to bring a handheld OS to a tablet. It worked just fine for other platforms. (no need to mention them in a BlackBerry thread).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then EsqLaw came to the thread with the first “true” acknowledgement of the Ops post.
    Followed by…
    It's called due diligence.
    What due diligence is needed for thinking how something might have been? It’s just a thought. Before the spec release we all wondered, and in fact continued to wonder well afterwards. What would have happened if the dinosaurs never became extinct? What would have happened if the south won the civil war? What would life on earth be with 2 moons instead of 1? They are just thoughts. No “due diligence” is needed. Due diligence is needed when thoughts are attempted to be brought to fruition in reality. Could RIM have some some more due diligence regarding their tablet? Hmmm.

Then I see this… Now, I must mention KQ9’s post because he actually came to the table with true points of his own reasoning actually worthy of healthy debate… But I just would like to mention a few things…
    It would have been a huge Blackberry phone. With oversized everything including apps, and they would look horrible, and waste developers time to make an app for the bigger resolution only to have it replaced by OS7 and again by OS2. 3 major changes in a short time = developers lose faith

1) Yes, a large BlackBerry phone, or maybe not, with only a wifi model presented. Again, as mentioned previously (without going off topic by mentioning another brand), another brand did the same exact thing, but also without the native calling features. It has sold amazingly well, and better than the PlayBook. Who can deny that?
    2) Screen size increasing exponentially would not make a high resolution screen “look horrible”. If that was the case then the Torch or the Storm would look horrible compared to a 97xx. Which it does not.
    3) Changes in screen resolution is not the worst thing a developer would encounter for sure. They have been doing it for all previous handhelds, and there are plenty of variations! Knowing what screen resolution is coming makes it an even lighter task when a developer can prepare for it previously. ***Also, a developer would only have to do this once, not 3 times***
    4) I bet developers would think this would be easier than dropping all of their previous work to start to learn and develop for a totally new OS like the case we have today with the end of JDE. –That is how developer loose faith.
    Now, the problem is that members act as if the OP is making changes to their beloved PlayBook. No. He is just wondering. That’s all. If I remember correctly, if you look back in the PlayBook threads, there were many people who wondered about the same exact things. Even “The God” CrackBerryKevin wondered how things would be having an OS6 PlayBook.

Yes, reality states these things cannot be done or the present state of things can be undone. Especially knowing what we know NOW about not being able to port from OS6/7 to QNX/BBX, but I appreciate those who think out of the box. And, the OP has a right to do so. Remember, there WAS a time when we all hoped our device would be able to be upgraded to QNX/BBX at one time? Should we all have been shot down for those “thoughts”?
    I see plenty of threads which say.. “This would be the perfect device for me”…
    If it had… Then they make a list of features that is important to them.
    Then I see many members hop on the bandwagon, even though we all know these things will never come to see the light of day!

Just think. There would be no whining about lack of native email, the inability for precise cursor placement, Auto-Text, Auto-Correct, lack of use of preexisting applications that we are all used to using already, etc… And so on, and so on, and so on…

The OP is just putting his thoughts out there and needs to be respected as a member of this community. People shouldn’t act rabid as if he’s taking food out your children’s mouth! I notice the cannibalism increasing in BlackBerry forums to an unbearable extent for no good reason at all. Be a bit friendlier to our newest members.
    People are dictating what others “should” want with statements like…
    You should not want any BlackBerry running OS6 or OS7!
    -Sheesh-These same people list those same devices in their profiles proudly. OS6 works just fine for me, and OS7 work great for others. Look around my friend’s!
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 10-23-11 at 11:55 AM.
    10-23-11 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD