Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By ronnel.gacutana
  • 1 Post By TgeekB
  • 1 Post By Sith_Apprentice
  • 2 Post By alnamvet68
  • 1 Post By d_pang
  • 1 Post By mmcpher
  • 1 Post By kill_9
  • 2 Post By TgeekB
  • 1 Post By slalom
  1. Fernando Almeida's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Why no 4G?

    4G

    Any people from watreloo can explain to me the reason...why RIM company keep one strange strategie.
    They always run after the other . When the new devices sort are already old.
    WHY
    Why they launhed one Playbook without 4G .

    Any responsable consumer in western country buy the 3G, now that we have internet speed last generation ?

    As a RIM fan i am angry ... frustrated by so slowly
    Last edited by FPA2007; 03-13-2012 at 04:45 AM.
  2. ronnel.gacutana's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    90 Posts
    PIN
    234AB5E2
    #2  

    Default

    3G coverage is almost all over the world, but not 4G. If RIM will provide a 4G tablet, They might lose the competition because their target market may not support 4G coverage.

    4G coverage is pretty fast compared to 3G - I'll agree to that. But we are talking about a mobile tablet that you can bring anywhere. Is it okay if RIM will provide you a tablet that can only be used in limited locations? Of course not.
    Willard814 likes this.
  3. TgeekB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,457 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I am perfectly happy with WIFI and bridging to my 4G phone.
    Willard814 likes this.
  4. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
    Mod Team Emeritus

    Posts
    10,165 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,168 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #4  

    Default

    RIM is providing a Playbook with 3G/4G connectivity. Just wait a few weeks
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    Willard814 likes this.
  5. alnamvet68's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,213 Posts
    PIN
    2AA6XXXX
    #5  

    Default

    .....and away we go again, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............
    If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher...if it's in English, Thank a Soldier


    Support: www.woundedwarriorproject.org

    We etch these names in granite to stand against time so we and our children can learn and remember.
    Hamp and Willard814 like this.
  6. teknishun's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    RIM is providing a Playbook with 3G/4G connectivity. Just wait a few weeks
    And RIM is last to the dinner table yet again.
  7. barkomatic's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Keep in mind the current PB was released almost a year ago and so if you are comparing it to the 4G iPad which was announced or the other 4G Android tablets its not exactly comparable at this point.

    Like others I've heard the rumors that RIM will release a PB with data connectivity. However, it's going to be pricey to add true 4G (LTE) to the PB. They may opt to try and keep the price low and stick with 3G for now.
  8. d_pang's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Because 4g is a battery hog and as others have said it better to have a hspa+ tablet or 3g tablet because everyone else in the world is still using 3g and a lot of revenue from rim is outside of the North American market. Also not a lot of carriers want to support a 4g lte tablet from rim and it would pointless if requested more made a lte tablet that no carrier wanted.
    Willard814 likes this.
  9. varunsain's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,405 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,408 Global Posts
    PIN
    501BBBBB
    #9  

    Default

    +1 nothing like 4g in my country.. 3g yet is not full fledged.. And to top it off.. With 3g only blackberry is providing unlimited data.. Everyone else is on limited plan.. So even if 4g is available on the device real world use is limited to 3g in my country Atleast..

    And 3g gets the work done.. I'm not even pushing 3g to its limit.. 4g would just mean increase in data plan costs for speeds I'm not going to utilize..
  10. mmcpher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    848 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I have a 9900 running 7.1 which shows that its connected to a 4G Network. I'm not knowledgeable to comment on all this what is and what isn't true 4G and LTE and all that. But My carrier and my phone says its 4G. So when I bridge browse etc., on my Playbook through my "4G" phone, is the Playbook 4G?
    Z10, 10.0.10.684 -- Playbook 64gb, 2.1.0.1032 and Surface Pro 128
    Thanked by:
    Willard814 (03-13-2012) 
    Willard814 likes this.
  11. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronnel.gacutana View Post
    4G coverage is pretty fast compared to 3G - I'll agree to that. But we are talking about a mobile tablet that you can bring anywhere. Is it okay if RIM will provide you a tablet that can only be used in limited locations? Of course not.
    Equally important is the simple lack of true unlimited data plans especially for BlackBerry devices. So the super fast 4G data speeds would gobble up the precious little data most people have available. Try streaming videos over the carrier network and watch the data overage charges count upwards.
    Willard814 likes this.
  12. TgeekB's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,142 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,457 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teknishun View Post
    And RIM is last to the dinner table yet again.
    And....that means no one should buy one?
    Willard814 and torches like this.
  13. slalom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,184 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FPA2007 View Post
    4G

    Any people from watreloo can explain to me the reason...why RIM company keep one strange strategie.
    They always run after the other . When the new devices sort are already old.
    WHY
    Why they launhed one Playbook without 4G .

    Any responsable consumer in western country buy the 3G, now that we have internet speed last generation ?

    As a RIM fan i am angry ... frustrated by so slowly

    Let me guess....you work for McKinsey?
    Willard814 likes this.
  14. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,867 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,873 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FPA2007 View Post
    4G

    Any people from watreloo can explain to me the reason...why RIM company keep one strange strategie.
    They always run after the other . When the new devices sort are already old.
    WHY
    Why they launhed one Playbook without 4G .

    Any responsable consumer in western country buy the 3G, now that we have internet speed last generation ?

    As a RIM fan i am angry ... frustrated by so slowly
    Simple answer: They weren't ready...

    Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    Check out my app: CChecker
  15. Scotter75's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    413 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    This is the way marketing goes. It's like the old records, then 8 track, then cassettes, then CD's, then DVD's, then Blue Ray. Get the picture. When the market squeezes every nickel out of you, then they move forward to the next level and start the process all over again. My wife has informed me on numerous occasions that we spent over $30 000.00 on computers over the last 30 years. Yes dear! What did you say?
  16. slalom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,184 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Maybe RIM is waiting for 5G

Posting Permissions